October 21, 2014

Lost creators say that they see an endpoint - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 14th 2007 4:46PM
LostThe biggest news to come out of the pre-lunch session with the creators and most of the cast of Lost? Uh, nothing much, just that the producers see an endpoint to the show and are have been talking about such an endpoint to the network for some time now.

Interesting, huh? Executive producer Carlton Cuse let the news slip, when asked about whether they've planned on a closed end to the show, that they are in discussions with ABC to pick an endpoint for the show. No real timetable was confirmed -- speculation ranged from two more to four more seasons -- but the producers want to make sure the show doesn't overstay its welcome. "We don't want to be to the point where we're doing the stalling show," explained co-creator Damon Lindelof. He then joked by giving such an example: "We're building sand castles this week!" He cited The X-Files as a show that was great but went on "two seasons too long," and that once they've determined when the endpoint will be, they will announce it right away.

At lunch, reporters surrounded ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson (more on that later to day) about this little tidbit. He didn't know that the producers had mentioned this, but didn't seem to be surprised, as he told the group that they had been talking with the show's producers about an endpoint almost from the beginning of the series. I'm sure we'll hear more of this later.

More tidbits and some funny lines after the jump.

It seemed that the producers were doing most of the talking, even though most of the cast was in attendance (Terry O'Quinn was the most noticeable absentee). The focus was on the return of the show from its mid-season break, and what stories we're going to see when it comes back. Starting with the return episode, we'll see stories between the main characters, which is something that wasn't seen in the first six episodes. In other words, less captivity stuff and more of the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle.

According to Lindelof, it's tough to satisfy everyone's curiosity about the characters without boring them to death. For instance, he jokingly refers to the other 35 survivors viewers rarely or never see, using everyone's favorite reference for Star Trek's doomed peons. "Are they just red shirts? Are they just monster food?"

Other funny stuff:

• When Damon mentioned that Jin Kwon will speak more English in upcoming episodes, Daniel Dae Kim bowed his head and mock-gratefully said "Thank you!"
  • When Evangeline Lilly was asked by a reporter if she'd rather be with Sawyer or Jack, she asked that reporter, "Who do you want me to end up with?"
  • Jorge Garcia had a pretty practical response to a question about how the fact that these storylines mean that certain actors don't appear every week. He loves acting on the show, he said, "but like any job sometimes you'd just like a week off."
  • Matthew Fox didn't say much -- he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else -- but he did say that he enjoyed the captivity storyline a lot. "I certainly miss the rest of the cast, and the captivity stuff was very intense. It's been very challenging and rewarding."
  • Another reporter asked why, if the Oceanic flight originated in Sydney, do we not see more Aussies on the island. That's when Emile de Ravin piped up: "I said I'd do the the show if I were the only one." The ever-quick Garcia chimed in by saying, "Technically, the baby's Australian." Finally, Lindelof joked that the "Austrailians are all hanging out with Nikki and Paulo."

SamMalone

Don't worry, next episode "EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE"!!!

January 15 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Maybe next year they will start later and do 22 straight episodes. No big break. It's hard for a show like Lost to not stall if they want 5 seasons. It really is a series that should have lasted 44 episodes.
But if the next 16 epidoes are good compelling shows then it will be worth watching. And it is one of the best shows to watch in HD.

January 15 2007 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Cheers to Joe and John H. What I want to know, though, is what exactly is news about this. They've said from the beginning that they have an end. The only question was whether or not they'd carry the show out long enough. I mean, if the news was that ABC has committed to X seasons and then the show will end, then yeah - that's headlines. But as far as I know, they haven't even said they'll commit to seeing the show through to the end.

I don't know where this crazy idea ever came from that the creators didn't have an endpoint in mind.

January 15 2007 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I'm a philosopher, so I am the type of person who likes when interesting questions are asked. I'm the type of person who instead of concerning myself with the mysteries of who was 'really' behind the murders of JFK, RFK, MLK, I think about the lives these people lived and how they would not want to be remembered as characters in conspiracy theories, but people that had a meaningful impact on people's minds. End minor rant... and back to Lost.

Lost is not only for people who want mysteries it is a love story, a philosopher's story, a spiritual story, and a story of spiritualism...filled with mystery... it's about life. Life really wouldn't be all that interesting if it was a really long episode of CSI. Spirituality is about the self, about you. Spiritualism is about the outside, the unexplained. It really sounds like you people are not caring for the spirituality or philosophy, but, the mysteries of who made this, or who made that, and...that can be fun, but if you lose sight of that, the only person who's missing out is you.

January 15 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I like the show because I don't expect answers to the questions. I'm a rare viewer because I enjoy the questions more than the answers.

Also, this is good news. Up until now, there has been the problem that Lost won't give up the answers until it's cancelled. It won't be cancelled until it loses viewers and it will only get back viewers when it's giving answers. The solution is to answer at least some questions, but mostly to stop the marketing department from promising all of the answers every single week.

January 15 2007 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mgamark

i can see why some people may be disappointed in how the storyline has progressed but i really believe that the first season just set a standard too high to surpass. that being said, i still think the writing and the acting is far better than most other shows on tv.

January 15 2007 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The 6 episodes they showed in the fall hurt the show more than anything. They should have just started right after New Years and run straight threw like 24 does, it's the only think 24 does right.

January 14 2007 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Lost had become incredibly boring this season. That they're talking of ending the show just makes me believe they've run out of ideas creatively, which is perhaps why the show is dragging along.

And with this news, I'm not sure I want to waste my time when it returns in Feb.

January 14 2007 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yeah we are / were fans of the show, but if you don't move along the people ditch and that was what was gonig on this season.

January 14 2007 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
I Like To Watch

I watch because the show looks GREAT in HD. The story got tiresome.

January 14 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply