October 31, 2014

Amanda Tapping joins the Atlantis team

by Brett Love, posted Jan 16th 2007 4:42PM
Amanda TappingThere has been quite a bit of speculation about the move, but now it's official. Amanda Tapping will be joining the cast of Stargate: Atlantis for 14 episodes in season four. Executive Producer Brad Wright said that the idea is one that they have been considering for a long time, but they held back because SG-1 kept going. The recent announcement that SG-1 won't be returning after the current season has opened the door for Colonel Carter to make the jump.

Season four of Atlantis marks another change for the show. As Wright and fellow Executive Producer Robert C. Cooper turn their attention to the SG-1 movies, Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie will take over as show-runners for Atlantis.I like the addition of Tapping to the cast. I've always been a fan of Carter, and with Paul McGillion not returning as Dr. Becket in season four, there is an opening to be filled.

Nicol Leoraine

I think that one of the big mistakes was writing the character of Carson Beckett off the show, but adding someone from SG-1? For one or two episodes maybe, but as a regular? I liked the cast as they were, and I really don't think that throwing Carter into the bunch will do much good. Won't she be outranking Sheppard? And I can't even imagine what that will do to Rodney's character, having her around all the time.

January 24 2007 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Noland

It just seems to me that when Jack O'Neil left SG 1 that was the beginning of the end for Stargate SG1. By the way could someone fill me in on why Richard Dean Anderson left? Did he just get tired of the whole thing or was there some sort of conflict?

January 20 2007 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris altes

don't end stargate sg1.sam going to that other show is just as stupid as the show its self.

even girl from firefly can't help. reruns of firefly is running anyone know where.

sorry about stupid comment,just can't stand it.

c.altes

January 20 2007 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bj

I Think Carter on the show will be good becuase she is awesome! and the girl from firefly!

January 16 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

If Carter goes to Atlantis... What about JACK??? Man, not the answer for a loose end I was looking for the end of SG-1.

I agree with Akbar Fazil.... I think the whole one upsmanship that goes on between Sam and Rodney will get old and get old quick.

January 16 2007 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I think the cast shuffling is yet another sign that the writers do not know what they are doing with this show. This season the show has gone downhill fast with introduction of a recycled enemy (replicators?!?!?! seriously!) and now they are giving Carter a big role on the show. For what purpose? So she can save the day and outdo McKay every time? OR maybe they'll switch it up and shock the audience by having McKay save the day because of Carter's mistake! Regardless, Carter had her ten years of SG-1. I love her character, but it's time to explore new ones. While it's nice to see some crossover, this move tells me that the writers are just plain lazy to develop any of the characters they have on Atlantis. When was the last time we saw the Caldwell character do anything of substance? What about Teyla and her people? Are the Wraith even out there anymore? Looks like this season's finale we get to be treated to the upteenth replicator story. Sigh!

January 16 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Cast upheaval is never good for a series and Atlantis has had its fair share. While I think it will be nice to see Tapping on the show it will also be sad to see Higginson cut out. Her character of Dr. Weir has really become an emotional center for the group dynamic.

January 16 2007 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

A fair point Samuel, but from what I understand Jewel isn't going to be a regular castmember. Her role will be recurring, but limited to a smaller amount of episodes.

January 16 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Lets not also forget that it was announced late last week that Torri Higginson is also being reduced to "recurring" status and will no longer be considered a series regular.

While I understand Amanda was under contract and they had to put her somewhere, I am not so sure about these changes to Atlantis.
Do we really need an entire season worth of Rodney and Sam one upping each other?

January 16 2007 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yeah there is already gonig to be a doctor, this is just lame. It doesn't matter. I see Atlantis being canceled after season 5 anyways.

January 16 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply