April 17, 2014

Netflix to stream movies and TV shows

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 16th 2007 2:00PM

netflixIf you're a Netflix subscriber but can't stand waiting for those DVDs to arrive in the mail, I have some good news for you: over the next six months, the company will be rolling out a new feature that will allow subscribers to stream movies and TV shows directly to their computer. Initially, subscribers will be able to choose from about 1,000 movies and TV shows out of the over 70,000 offered through the company's mail service. Users will have to download a browser application in order to take advantage of the new service.

The service will be included as part of the subscription plan at no extra cost. As a Netflix customer, I'm thrilled to have another way of viewing these shows, though I have a feeling the majority of my rentals will still be done through ye olde postal service. I don't really have any desire to watch movies on my computer, at least not until I get a more comfortable computer chair.

Waqas Ahmed

I'm looking forward to the launch. I have a laptop permanently connected to my 60" tv at 1080p. Now if only they would stream movies in high def.

January 17 2007 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mat

Why do these reports always neglect to say the service is "Windows only"?

Also, how do they know you have "returned" it so you can download/snail mail another?

Seems like stuff most would want to know...

January 16 2007 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Great comment! It's just a series of tubes and the amount of material is enormous.

January 16 2007 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

I agree, that was pretty funny. :)

January 16 2007 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Hall

Single. Greatest. Comment. Ever.

January 16 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

I'm not sure this is a good idea. After all, the internet is not a big truck. It's a series of tubes, and if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

January 16 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Since I have a PC connected to my TV, this news might be just the reason I need to subscribe to Netflix. The nearby Blockbuster has now run most of the local rental places out of business and BB isn't all that convenient for me. Even when I go there, it seems that everything I want is out. I hope this Netflix streaming idea takes off.

January 16 2007 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply