October 20, 2014

Goodbye Passions

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 17th 2007 4:46PM

Juliet MillsI have this suspicion that, except for a couple of the mega-successful shows, the soap opera is on its way out.

NBC has canceled the bizarre soap opera Passions after 8 years. This is the show that included witches (Tabitha, played by Juliet Mills) and puppets that came to life. I know, I know, you're thinking, "why didn't someone tell me there was a soap like this on, I would have watched it!" It sounds like something that I could get into for a laugh or two, though I don't know if I could have gotten into it for the long haul, unless they really went over the top all the time and didn't include serious storylines too.

If you're wondering, the show is being canceled to make room for more of The Today Show, which is expanding to 9 hours in a few weeks.

Brenda

I can just say one thing. I will not be one of those people who will watch the Today show. I think its horrible that they are canceling this show. At least we will see the other soaps get more veiwer then maybe NBC will get a clue that who the hell cares about the today show but old people!

February 15 2007 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grandma

"Passions" is unique. I have watched it since the lst day, laughing and enjoying each program. It's ridiculous, unbelievable, funny, outrageous, clever, unpredictable...all things that you don't find on any other program. If there is some way to keep it on the air, let me know. The comments by rjlawrence in this forum from l/20/07 show the financial side for the network in this matter. Hopefully, they will see the light and realize that people who watch "Passions" may be the ones that continue watching the network for a longer portion of the day, seeing advertisements on other NBC shows. Maybe that will help? Let me know where else we can get our message across to keep "Passions" on the air. ("grandma" 2/13/07)

February 13 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

YESSSS!!! I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN I SAW THIS!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS HATED THIS SHOW, AND PRAYED THAT IT WOULD GET CANCELLED!!!!

February 12 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hellen

I am sry to see passions go. it is my favourite
soap and i will miss it

February 06 2007 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

Please, Please keep Passions. Find another show to ax. I can think of a few that could go. What's next? Days ?.

February 06 2007 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sal

I hate to see Passions go. The actors seem dedicated to their craft and to entertaining us. The "slow'moving" plot is the decision of the writers and directors, and "soaps" in general. I have enjoyed the show since its inception and will miss it. I wish we, the viewing public DID have a say about programming!

February 01 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

The show "Passions" is an outstanding daytime soap opera with a very beautiful cast of actors. The Today Show may start getting on a few nerves with too many hours on the aire in one day. Moreover, I have actually abandoned the show because the 9:00-10:00 am hour is boring!

January 25 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo O\\\\\\\'Brien

It was a disgrace when NBC cancelled their first class meaningful reality show, "Starting Over". This show meant a lot to so many women all over the country. But did they stop their thoughless masacres? NO! Taking a vital and entertaining show, such as PASSIONS off their network is a disgrace. Me thinks that the program managers should be cancelled. No more need to watch NBC anymore. An extended TODAY show should be put off to tomorrow from now on.

Jo

January 25 2007 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denis

I watch nothing on NBC except PASSIONS.
The TODAY show is a horrible show with a horribly phoney cast. I consider myself too intelligent to watch morning blab shows anyway, not caring about their versions of news (i.e. what is Britney Spears doing today.)
Many people I know will not watch NBC if PASSIONS is gone. NBC needs to reconsider, or it will end up filled with silly reality shows and bad news. Nobody but fifth graders will watch NBC. Why not take off DAYS? Or Rachel Ray?

January 23 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dorcas

it is not fare to have talk shows or todays show as you call them couz they are danm boring to watch i like watching witney,thaby,tim,ethen.....what do you guys whant us to do in the afternoons?pliz do not take away our Tim.

January 22 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply