November 22, 2014

More Magnum, P.I. movie rumors

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 17th 2007 8:02PM

magnum piShhh, listen.

Hear that? It's the Magnum, P.I. movie rumor machine cranking up again.

Jonathan told y'all back in June that Ben Affleck was the favorite to take on the role popularized by Tom Selleck on the original '80s TV series, but now Dark Horizons is reporting that Matthew McConaughey has been listed as the new Magnum by Rawson Marshall Thurber, who recently finished a redraft of the script. Other actors supposedly involved with this "on again, off again" project include Steve Zahn as Rick, Tyrese Gibson as T.C. and William H. Macy as Higgins. Also, Optimus Prime, not wanting to be typecast for his role in The Transformers, will play the helicopter.

One other thing: in the movie, Magnum will be an Iraq war veteran, not a Vietnam veteran.

Jesse

Selleck is the only real Magnum

February 15 2007 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

"In the movie, Magnum will be an Iraq war veteran, not a Vietnam veteran."

Well, now that we've got a new war, I guess we can remake all the shows whose lead characters were war vets. Next up: The Rockford Files... BJ and the Bear... The A-Team would be a nice punchline here, but the've beaten me to it. Let's stay away from "Hogans' Heroes" for now, given recent experience.

January 18 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JP

God, please don't allow this to happen.......

January 18 2007 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

I think I'd much rather see Tom Selleck return to the role.

January 18 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

This is crossing the line. Tom Selleck is Magnum. Period. End of sentence. Either him or nobody.

January 18 2007 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmy

still think Matthew Fox would be perfect for this role. hell, even Selleck himself would be a better choice than Affleck. What's next, Scott Caan as Rick and Sam Jackson as TC?

January 18 2007 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Oh yeah, one other update, instead of driving a 1980 Ferrari 308 GT - Mags will be driving a hybrid...uhh, I mean a HUMMER...

January 18 2007 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I loved Magnum P.I., but come on Hollywood, get creative. Your test marketing team couldn't have possibly told you that this film would be a success did they?

January 17 2007 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DiRT

If Ben Affleck is is cast as Magnum PI, I'll demand a Simon & Simon or Riptide movie as penance for shitty casting.

January 17 2007 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply