October 24, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: Six Days (Part 2)

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jan 18th 2007 10:41PM
grey's anatomy
(S03E12) Don't panic, folks. I'm just here to help Joel cover Grey's while he's off covering the TCA for us. I'm as shocked at you are that I, of all people, is covering this show at all, especially with what I've said about it in the past. But yes, I watch this show now and am pretty much caught up with everything, but just the same, be gentle in your comments. Please? Thanks. I'll keep it short.

The theme for this episode seemed to be all about becoming personally involved. Let's go over how this theme appeared among all the show's characters.

Addison and Mark. First I have to ask -- was this the first time we learned of Addison's abortion? I sort-of recall hearing about it prior to this episode, though it's possible it's one of the few I missed. The theme of becoming personally involved is actually opposite in this case, as Addison makes it known she didn't want to have a relationship with Mark that meant he'd be the father to her child. Ouch.

George has come a long way, hasn't he? While he throws blame in a fit of rage over his father's condition, he gets a harsh look at what it means to be a doctor from the other side of the lab jacket. Of course he's personally involved with his father's situation, and I think it's all made him a better doctor.

George and Callie. In a move that shows how much she genuinely cares for George, Callie skips out on the surgery of a lifetime to stand with George in a time he needs it most. Their relationship is coming back together at a pace that I like, one that's not thrown in our faces suddenly.

Bailey and Izzy. Deep. Bailey makes the right call taking Izzy off the surgery. Ironically she finds herself faced with a similar sort of personal involvement with George's dad. Will she have a different outlook now on what Izzy's doing in becoming personally involved with patients?

Addison and Alex. It was obviously coming, and now here it is. How do you all feel about the two of them together? A match made in heaven or hell? Maybe a little bit of both? I'd say it's pretty evident that Alex's future in plastics is seriously in jeopardy once this news goes around.

Meredith and Thatcher. Meredith sees she has more in common with her father that she thought, and finally moves to reach out to him. I wonder if he's going to stick around for a while of if this is just a short visit.

Oh, and thank you Thatcher for suggesting the ear plugs; we were getting sick of that storyline, too.

Nicole

I am excited about Alex and Addison! I think that they could be a very interesting couple if written right and could give the show more humor when it comes to relationships. Even after what happened in "Great Expectations", I think we haven't seen the end of whatever is going on between them. Obviously, I cannot wait to see more!

February 01 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Genevieve

I'm disappointed to see the writers taking Addison and Karev down the same old road: this will be the third pairing of a Wise Attending and Promising Intern sleeping together. I was really hoping to see Karev's character grow out of being the jerk as he got more involved with Addison's specialty (whatever it is-- Neonatal surgery? Pediatrics? Whatever.) and see Addison become more of a mentor to him. That would be original character development. Unfortunately, it looks like we're just heading to one more round of sexual musical chairs. Argh!

January 20 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I have thought almost from the beginning that George is the best actor on the show. Yet McDreamy gets all the attention.

I think the scene with George and Burke would have been great if not for all the publicity about Washington's nasty comments about Knight. I could not help thinking of all that negativity during that scene.

Very interesting that the brothers asked George what they were going to do. Finally, they see he IS a doctor.

January 19 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beezus

I was worried about how "Part 2" was going to work out - but it was in vain. By far, the most intense was George and his family, written and acted so well, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I teared up a bit. As for Callie - my girl-crush remains, and I think that they're going to be fantastic together.
Yes, the Mer/Der thing was getting old, but what I like about the storyline is that it shows their increasing comfort in their relationship. It's nice to see them having real "grown up" moments.
I love seeing Izzy battle back to being Izzy. She's not apologizing for her pain or suffering, and I like that. Love the cobbler and the bathroom floor. I might have to try that next time I'm down...
And Addison and Alex? Who didn't see that coming about a year and a half ago? And I could kind of care less. Sure, I'm coming around to "salmon scrubs", especially now that she's portrayed as an actual person with feelings, and Alex waiting outside the room for George was truly a touching surprise, but it seems like this is just thrown in to give them screen time and McSteamy something to get Steamy about.

January 19 2007 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Espy

I'm digressing from the plot, but this show in HD is probably the best shot show on TV. In HD you see actors that look great look pretty bad - I can't watch any of Desperate Housewives. But this show... The tracking shots of Seattle are beautiful, the people look good, and sometimes you see something fantastic.

Tonight, there was an impressive acting moment - I rewound the Tivo to make sure I saw what I saw. When Addison was talking to Callie about the abortion, and started to tear up, her face flushed. I thought it was make up for a second, but it was all her. That's acting!

January 19 2007 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

The Alex and Addison romance seems like it was born out of the writers not having anything else to do with either of them.

Sloane has kind of served his purpose and the character really has no need to still be in Seattle, with Addison obviously not having the same feelings as he does. Hopefully they can come up with something for him because he plays a very good asshole.

The MerDer snore-fest was hilarious, as me and my wife have been battling the same way for years now. The opening scene was like something out of our bedroom at about 7am, hilarious.

George's dad was, gut wrenching to say the least, but necessary in the long run. And hell, it got him and Christina to kiss and make up over the fact both their Dad's were dead. Strange, but whatever works...

All in all, a very good episode of Grey's, no real oh snap moments, but judging by the preview, those are coming next week.

January 18 2007 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply