August 1, 2014

30 Rock: The Head and the Hair

by Julia Ward, posted Jan 19th 2007 2:03AM
Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey of 30 Rock(S01E11) Professor Baldwin has arrived, and class is in session. All you would-be comedy geniuses out there should be taking notes every Thursday night. What did we learn from Professor B tonight? Timing. The guy knows how to squeeze some serious funny out of a simple gesture and a pause. Did you catch his lingering stare at Jenna and Liz after taking their drink orders? It was the funniest moment in a very funny episode, and it wasn't even scripted. It was just an actor's choice. Granted, Professor B is no ordinary actor. He's the Golden Globe Award-winning actor who delivered this line with panache, "I'm going to be your bottom, Kenneth, and I want you to ride me as hard as you can."

This episode also brought us maximum Kenneth, which is great. He's turning out to be one of the show's most endearing characters. I especially enjoyed his tribute to television. "More than jazz or musical theater or morbid obesity, television is the true American art form." None of the characters on Studio 60 could have said it any better. Actually, that's what makes 30 Rock the superior show. It loves television as much as it recognizes its excesses and fluff. Television programming, according to 30 Rock, is not a cause to be taken up by self-righteous martyrs (see Jordan McDeere). It is an "ass ache."

This episode also gave us the handy categories of "hair" and "head." "Hair" being the good-looking, out-of-your-league hottie. "Head" being the doofus. If you're lucky, maybe you're "head plus" worthy as our girl Liz is. These are always useful categories to have - like "fox" and "hedgehog" from Husbands and Wives or "Betty" and "Veronica." Whatever dichotomy is going to make the dating landscape easier to understand, the better.

Well, there was a lot of other funny stuff - Brian William's dressing room, Junk in the Trunk magazine, "Katie Couric sucks," Goldcase, Tracy's Xmas album - but I'm not going to sit here and recount every joke to you. So how about some small talk? "You guys been watching Heroes? I like the Asian dude."

Eric

Does anyone remember the lyrics to Tracy's xmas song?

January 29 2007 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Crosby

Visit my 30 ROCK fansite http://www.MOONVEST.com.

January 25 2007 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
30 Rock

HAHAHA... awesome. Check out Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock

January 20 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Evan: The show started on 1/17/07, but Tracey's book wasn't due until the next day. They worked all day & night and all the next day, and the show ended on the evening of the 18th. And Liz and the Hair went to the party on the 17th, Liz ditched work on the 18th, and they discovered they were related on the evening of the 18th. So it wasn't a goof.

And Studio 60 is not even a little comparable to 30 Rock, both are excellent shows but have nothing in common other than subject matter.

Oh, and I think that the NBC references are intentional on Tina Fey's part, and not so much NBC product placements. She wanted to steep the show in the real world atmosphere of NBC/Universal.

January 19 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Rakunas

Excellent show, though I'm still waiting for something to top the funniest line of 2006: "Those shoes are definitely bi-curious."

January 19 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Man, this show is so great, I love it. The ending had me laughing so much, they're related!

Anyone notice that they said the date on the show was the 17th January 2007, more than once Tracy Morgan/Jordan asked, but in reality it was January 18th, 2007. Mix up? I find it cool when TV shows do stuff like this is all, mention the date, or reference things in real life, like "Katy Couric Sucks" had me rolling. Cold Case does this well, at the end of new episodes, they write the date the show airs on the boxes.

January 19 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

SJ - I think Tina perceives herself (or at least LizLemon does) as not being up to par with the tall, leggy, haute-couture, dead-eyed model types featured at the party, and I think that a lot of women feel that way from time to time. Especially those of us who are only 5'4", a little round in the bum and who sometimes wear food on their shirts!

Oh, and in my mind, Kenneth is asexual!

January 19 2007 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

@ Steve, I'd accept a non-gay Kenneth [though he pings my gaydar every time he's on-screen] as long as he'd still be astonished at anyone thinking he was gay. Oddly, I personally don't find him stereotypical at all. Sure, he's a momma's boy with an obsession for pop culture but there's something ridiculously wonderful about him that reminds me of Eb from Green Acres, almost. Minus the behind the scenes religious fanaticism I imagine Tom Lester bringing with him.

January 19 2007 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Tracy Morgan's hilarity continues to impress me. His biography storyline was hilarious. Especially when he streched his arm way out to mimic his mother holding her breast.

When Tina Fey went to the party, I had to do a double-take. Didn't she look like Rachel Dratch? Are they related?

January 19 2007 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KLB

My favorite line was from "Moonvest" the bum to Kenneth: "Give me your fingernails". This show is full of quick, funny lines.

January 19 2007 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply