October 31, 2014

Anderson Cooper: the $4 million dollar man

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 19th 2007 5:05PM

Anderson CooperCNN's Anderson Cooper has just signed a new contract with the cable network, and this one is estimated to be worth $4 million dollars a year, a raise from the $2 million dollars a year he is getting under his current contract.

The Broadcasting & Cable article linked above also says that because Cooper is no longer available, producers of The Early Show are going to have to look elsewhere for a new host for the morning show. Though I never heard definitive word that Cooper was in line for the gig, just that the show was undergoing major changes.

Cooper hosts the nightly news show Anderson Cooper 360 and has started to also contribute to CBS' 60 Minutes. The new contract is a multi-year deal.

So readers...is he worth it?

[via TV Newser]

VSJ

Cooper is no Brad Pitt or even Stone Phillips, but if you must watch the news at all, he is "okay" compared to other news channels. However, the bottom line is that Cooper will never be a mainstream personality until he leaves CNN!

January 20 2007 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raul

He's worth every penny of it...

I love my news with a side of good-looking.

January 20 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Anderson Cooper was the best thing about the Mole, the short lived, thinking person's reality game show.

January 20 2007 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

cooper rocks but no news anchor is worth $4mil...jesus!

January 19 2007 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wanda

I think he's worth it. I hadn't watched CNN in years until I discovered him. I like his on-air personality very much.

January 19 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I read where his ratings at 10pm still haven't reached the level of the predecessor, Newsnight with Aaron Brown. Apparently, the demographic is better, so CNN is happy.

I like what Kathy Griffin says about him, "Anderson Cooper covering Katrina - in Prada."

January 19 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply