August 29, 2014

Isaiah Washington apologizes again for slur against T.R. Knight; ABC "greatly dismayed"

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 19th 2007 2:13PM
Isaiah WashingtonGrey's Anatomy star Isaiah Washington re-opened an old wound at the Golden Globes on Monday night, denying he ever called T.R. Knight a "faggot" in a highly-publicized incident last fall. Since then, Knight confirmed that Washington used the slur against him and co-star Katherine Heigl basically told the press that Washington should just shut his piehole.

It's a-gettin' ugly out there, so Washington and ABC have decided to tell the press that they're all working on a solution to this. The network said that they are "greatly dismayed" at Washington's use of the slur yet again and that "his actions are unacceptable and are being addressed." What "being addressed" means is anyone's guess. Homophobe rehab, perhaps?

For his part, Washington (or at least his PR staff) seems very regretful that he brought the incident up again: "I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help." As long as he doesn't claim he was drunk, I guess we could cut him a little bit of slack.

Wonder what all this means for Grey's, though; Preston Burke is an important but not pivotal character, and Washington doesn't seem to be well liked around there. It makes one wonder if Washington is going to be asked back next year.

Here are the statements in full:

ABC's statement:

"We have a long standing policy to create and maintain respectful workplaces for all our employees. We dealt with the original situation in October, and thought the issue resolved. Therefore, we are greatly dismayed that Mr. Washington chose to use such inappropriate language at the Golden Globes, language that he himself deemed "unfortunate" in his previous public apology. We take this situation very seriously. His actions are unacceptable and are being addressed."

Apology from Isaiah Washington:

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on Grey's Anatomy. I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help.

I know the power of words, especially those that demean. I realize that by using one filled with disrespect I have hurt more than T.R. and my colleagues. With one word, I've hurt everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted. I welcome the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened.

T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character. I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

Marsha Neal

I think Washington is afraid he is a little gay himself!
Get rid od the bad seed and save the cast from his rath.

January 22 2007 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marsha Neal

I think Washington is afraid he is a little gay himself!
Get rid od the bad seed and save the cast from his rath.

January 22 2007 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kellie

I have a few gay friends and the word Isaiah used is the same as calling him a N. It Is very hurtfull to my friends to be called that. When are we all going to stop doing this to are selfs.I will pray for you Isaiah and all like you.GOD BLESS!

January 20 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marsha Neal

Look the "N" word up in the dictionary and you will see the deification of Isaiah Washington with a capitol N. He should be fired. Further more, Shonda Rimes should have addressed his temper and bad atitude when the rift happned. Can his fat ass.

January 20 2007 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allie

It saddens me that in the 21st century people are still spewing words of hatred at others. I, as a Caucasian, was terribly upset by the rantings of Mel Gibson & Michael Richards.

I grew up in the 50's and watched the struggles of Afro-Americans from the outside. I can't believe that a son of those struggles would use hateful epithets at another human being.

I love the show but I think that some sort of action needs to be taken by Shonda Rimes to show that hatred and bigotry has no place in her cast.

January 20 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra

All the press for this is great for the show. If Washignton had expressed concerns about TR Knight's religious prefrences or political views and they were skewed far to the right would there be as much outrage. They are actors, who cares who or what they sleep with, the fascination amazes me.

January 20 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sassy

What if the N word was used against him.
What would have happened. Just think about it. I don't use it and the other word he used.

January 20 2007 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glen

I enjoy Grey's Anatomy, like millions of others. I am sincerely embarrassed by Mr. Washington's unprofessionalism, poor taste, lack of thought, poor judgement, bad memory . . . Shall I continue? Mr Washington, "Bigotry and Prejudice" does not enhance your character or your talent. I am sure there are several other talented African American "real" men who could (and maybe should be given a chance to) join the cast of Grey's Anatomy. My other thought is, why in the world does Washington care what T.R. Knight(whose acting draws viewers)is or isn't in his personal life? I would think that Washington's only interest in Knight would be as a colleague.

January 20 2007 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robbin

I feel that the recent performance by Isaiah Washington back stage at the Golden Globes continues a disturbing trend of hateful self absorbed stars freely spewing there own prejudices with no consequences. First we hear Washington started a fight with one co-star, apparently not his first fight, and then we hear he called T.R. Knight a fagot. Then he denies it in the most inappropriate place and way, only further showing his insensitive self promoting ways. Then we hear on "Ellen" that he did say it. So he's violent, hateful, prejudice and dishonest. If he was on Lost they would have killed off his character by now. The thing Washington has in common with Mel Gibson and Michael Richards, besides rage, aggression, hate, and prejudice is they are all incredibly arrogant. That's a lot of character flaws. I love the show and hope that they will show the character that the fans and the rest of the cast deserve and send a message that this kind of intolerance has no place on thier show. All prejudice is the same.

January 19 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
missy

He should be fired!!!!!!!!! As an African American he should know better than to continue to use ignorant slurs to express his discontent. He is an attention hog, who is pissed because all eyes aren't on him. Grow up!!! As an African American myself, his ignorance shames us all.

January 19 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply