September 2, 2014

Stephen Colbert, Bill O'Reilly and my sighs of disappointment - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 19th 2007 10:30PM
O'Reilly and ColbertAfter all the excitement from Comedy Central and the web, I must say I was expecting a little more from the O'Reilly/Colbert appearance swap. Don't get me wrong, though, because I was definitely entertained. It's just that I didn't think the whole thing lived up to the hype. When it ended and the dust quickly cleared, I confusedly blinked and looked around. No carnage... Only mild scrapes, light bruises and the sound of my annoyingly exaggerated sighs. I wanted to see blood on those crisp French cuffs, damn it. Oh, well. I guess we can't get everything we want.

Stephen Colbert on The O'Reilly Factor:

I didn't watch this until it was uploaded on YouTube, of course. Once, when I was very young and naive, I tried to sit through an entire episode of The Factor. That proved to be a terrible mistake, because, before the Talking Points Memo was even over, I could feel myself trying to will my brain to die. I also cried for about five days. Anyway, I had learned my lesson and decided to take the safe YouTube route, skip all the Factor stuff and get straight to the interview.

I thought Colbert did a great job, especially in handling O'Reilly when he kept trying to get Colbert all testy and defend Jon Stewart. He even got a lot of laughs from O'Reilly's crew, which was a pleasant surprise. I wonder if any of O'Reilly's viewers thought Colbert was a real guy. Oh, and, as much as I hate to do this, I must commend O'Reilly for being enough of a sport to bring Colbert on this program. It took balls, O'Reilly. Big, brass balls.

Some of my favorite quotes...

- Colbert: "I'm afraid of bears. I think owls are a waste of time."
- Colbert: "I'm doing you, Bill." (Immature, I know. I'm sorry, I can't help myself)
- Colbert: "They criticize what you say, but they never give you credit for how loud you say it."
- O'Reilly: "Who are you?! ColberT or Colbert?!"

Bill O'Reilly on The Colbert Report:

I never thought I would think such things, but I was expecting more O'Reilly. God, that sounds so wrong, but... it's true. I was tuning in for a full half-hour of Colbert on O'Reilly action (okay, that sounds wrong). Instead, we got six minutes. Six? Seriously? They devoted an entire episode to some silly guitar contest, but the man who inspired Colbert's entire persona (and therefore, show) got just as much time as any other no-name guest? That's no way to treat Papa Bear. I expected at least a sixteen-minute tribute to the Factor, not the usual Report material at the top of the show.

The oh-so-subtle sexual predator jab made me laugh so hard, I shot orange juice out of my nose... And I wasn't even drinking orange juice! Talk about walking the line. The pre-interview montage, 30% sticker, and O'Reilly's secular progressive picture were also hilarious. Oh, and, apparently, Colbert really did steal a microwave from the green room.

Again, I must commend O'Reilly for coming on the show, even though it was pretty obvious he tried to take down Colbert and totally failed.

Some of my favorite quotes...

- Colbert: "I am a deeply religious man who will do anything you say."
- Colbert: "Deal or No Deal? Pick a side! We're at war."
- O'Reilly: "I'm not a tough guy... This is all an act. I'm sensitive --"
Colbert: "If you're an act... then what am I?"
- Colbert: "What's destroying our country more? Activist judges, illegal immigrants, gay marriage, or NBC News?"
O'Reilly, without hesitation: "NBC News."

Daniel

Colbert can definitely do a better comedy routine then this bill o'Reilly's parody. He has been a great comedian and will still be no matter what bill o'Reilly's throws at him. People like o'Reilly's need to be brought down because really all they are, are bullies. When one or two people want to stand up against such a hot head like o'Reilly's, o'Reilly's has to do what he has to do to keep his ratings high as he wants them to be so he can dress nice and be the great bully that he will always be. He has to portray Colbert's audience base as reject pot smokers because he wants to look good in front of the cameras. Hey bill just cause you want to get rid of the Mexicans and everything else you hate by yelling and disgracing it does not mean your above everybody. So go ahead and have your secretary or interns tell you your better then everybody else and try and keep your cool until it all goes away bill and you can be in your own version of ignorant America. That's the only reason you went on his show in the first place because we can have big bad bill o'reilly not standing up to people who don't believe in him. Well bottom line Bill o'reilly is an actor and Colbert is an actor. Neither of them should be held in high regard. They are both show dolls and just because you get amusement or safety from listening to these people does not mean you should change what you think so you can be all happy and stupid because if one person does that it's gonna happen all across America so fucking wake up and believe in what you believe and not what the fucking media believes.

January 26 2007 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DiRT

Considering that Colbert points to Keith Olbermann and Anderson Cooper as part of his character, why do you think he's as simply defined politically as Jon Stewart?

January 20 2007 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

Wow some of these comments are funny. Do you people really think that if these two "acts" hated each other they would had each other on their shows. This was a publicity stunt that helped both shows. This isn't a right wing / left wing thing. These are two guys that are playing parts in their shows. Is it true O-reilly is a right winger? Yes, but that doesn't mean he lacks respect for Colbert. Just as Colbert has respect for O'Reilly. They realize that they both exist and continue to exist by feeding off each others shows. It makes money... Which is all it boils down too.

January 20 2007 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

It's funny to see the anger generated by a couple of entertainment spots. These guys are both entertainers and that's what you got. If you want blood, maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

January 20 2007 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

WAKE UP ANDY!!! If Bill-o makes fun of Cobert's show all the time and how it lame and yadda yadda then he really doesn't respect Cobert.

January 20 2007 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Colbert proved himself at the correspondents' dinner. No lightweight could have have pulled that off.

January 20 2007 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan F.

Most were hoping for Colbert's wonderful audacity, displayed so admirably at the White House Press Corp dinner, where he astonished everyone by blatantly taking the President all the way out with undeniable truths. His routine was a perfect moment of comedy and commentary. Colbert had the blatant nerve to unexpectedly speak comic truths in that previously duplicitous arena. He cemented himself as a principled and outrageous comic. Bill O'Reilly has recently and disgustingly played Satan's psychiatrist, attacking and publicly, disgracefully analyzing the rescued Sean Hornbeck's motives for not running from his captor. If O'Reilly causes a kid's suicide in the name of ratings of the rich and pious, will it just be right wing road kill? I think Colbert failed miserably by not addressing the audacity of that self proclaimed hypocritical advocate of illusory decency. Doesn't Bill O'Reilly (affectionately referred to by Colbert as Papa Bear) sit at the right hand of our born again President as the devils advocate? What a disappointment the touted guest spot exchange turned out to be! I thought the shows would be, at least more than reciprocal ass kissing. Where was the Stephen we all know and love? It was like Colbert on valium limited by a mysterious prenuptial agreement. I guess Colbert is just a "fun kinda guy after all" - pure fluff!

January 20 2007 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andy

WAKE UP PEOPLE....it was funny and both guys actually know and like each other. Stop thinking the right and left all hate each other. If Al Sharpton has no problem with O'Reilly ( they are often on each others radio shows)why should we who disagree with him. When I was young it was the conservatives who came across as intolerent and rude, now it is the liberals who have no patience for those they disagree with.

January 20 2007 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightTraveler

As a Barnes and Noble employee, the 30% sticker over O'Reilly's face made me lose it, because I have done that to O'Reilly's book many times just to amuse myself, as have many other people I know. It's one of those gags that 90% of the audience got a chuckle out of, until they notice that if you go into ANY barnes and noble, you'll see about 50 examples of that at work.

January 20 2007 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

After O'reilly was on TDS and John was almost nice to him I didn't expect anything special out of this at all.

January 20 2007 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply