July 29, 2014

Monk: Mr. Monk Makes a Friend

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 20th 2007 11:45AM

andy richter(S05E11) Tony Shalhoub has garnered a few Emmys for his role as Adrian Monk, and I know some have complained that at this point it's almost as if he's given the award automatically. I don't care whether or not Shaloub "deserves" to be nominated year after year, but I do know that it's Monk that makes Monk worth watching. I don't watch this series because of the complex plots, because they're rarely complex. Clues to the suspect's identity are made more obvious than hints in an Encyclopedia Brown story, especially in this episode when a mysterious man strangles his lover in the opening scene, a man who is clearly Andy Richter even though they try to obscure him.

Of course, we find out about halfway through that Hal (Richter) really is the man who seduced a woman who used to work at the police station to help him sneak a priceless statue back from Greece. That's why he decides to befriend Monk, so he can check Monk's mail and intercept a letter from the dead woman that would pin him to the crime.

Monk, however, is so elated about having a new friend he doesn't notice all the clues building up that point to Hal. he wants to "pop the question" to Hal and ask him to be his best friend, and sits by the phone like a teenage girl waiting for the cute boy in her class to call her. It's both hilarious and heart-wrenching to see Monk so deluded, and even after Hal tries to kill him, Monk thinks it would be cool to go to another hockey game with him.

Mchan

Can someone please tell me what is the name of the melody in the music box ? I know it was mentioned but the audio in my video sucks ..

Thanks

January 22 2007 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

I was disappointed when I figured out that Hal wanted the mail 1/2 way thru the show. Monk had made reference to it at the crime scene ("she always said she would send me a picture") and Hal was so obvious about getting the mail everyday. I did like seeing "Steve" from Sex In the City as the previous boyfriend. What a lovable nerdy guy.

January 21 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joey peeps

this is the worst review or whatever you want to call this for a show on this blog. Adam, fire your self.

January 21 2007 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I thought the imperative for the main murder of Gayle was very weak. All she did was find an empty wine bottle with something concealed in it. Nothing a master manipulator like Andy Richter's Hall character could not worm his way out off without resorting to a towel hanging.

Also, Gayle who worked with Monk a long time ago kept her promise and mailed him a personalised photo of her in Greece. Looks like he had a friend there.

Weak episode, but once again great characters make this a delightful way to end the week with Psych.

January 21 2007 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cesar

I have to say that monk is great even thought they dont have those big mysteries. Adrian Monk is just a very compelling character that makes the show. Also, the new assistant is hot.

January 21 2007 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Barb: You are nuts. Wiki has no death date.

January 20 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

The crimes used to be pretty complex and have some mystery, here there was none - a poor episode.

There was no "who dunnit", "how they dunnit", and very little "why they dunnit" ... very bad.

January 20 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
June Davis

Shaloub, Tony - alias: character Monk.
I was a fan when he was the taxi driver in "Wings", in the movie "Polly". He is a fine actor.
Monk, the show, is entertaining and amusing. Not meant to be a 'deep mystery' - The OCD a perfect vehicle for the character.
Even though one knew what Andy R's character was up to - it was a good stretch for him to be a killer.
And Monk's denial of the known is a very human reaction. Who hasn't lived by that river called "De nile" (sorry - just slipped in here)
Monk is made special by the production of a few shows and making fans wait for the next episodes. Long live Monk!
The 'new' assistant doesn't have the sass of the 'Jersey-type gal"; but, she is okay. The little girl could be dropped.
But that is just my opinion ----JD

January 20 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jonathan

I watched the episode, and was disappointed. The show is becoming formula driven, and there is no longer a mystery, if ever there was one. His new assistant is cute but lacks the pizazz of the original. The neurosis of the main character has become the driving force of the program, not the plots.
Psyched is as funny as ever.

January 20 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

I love Monk!!!!! It is a great show. Tony Shaloub is a great actor he always makes the show entertaining to watch. Wasn't last nights episode great?

January 20 2007 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply