December 18, 2014

CSI: Miami says Miami isn't safe

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 22nd 2007 1:28PM

Caruso"When you go to Miami, watch your step. Because every move you make could be your last."

That's a line from the commercial that's been running all week for tonight's CSI: Miami. How does the city of Miami feel about this? It's probably great publicity when your city is not only the setting for the most popular TV show in the universe but the name of the city is actually in the title. But what an odd type of publicity.

Basically, the ad is saying "hey, you might want to come to the city, but you better give it a second thought or you might, you know, die." Sure, I know the show is about murder and the solving of various crimes (mostly, um, murder), but imagine Las Vegas having an ad that said "you might want to come to Las Vegas, but watch out: you'll lose all your money and might be approached by a hooker." Or how about an ad for It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia that said "if you think it's always sunny here, think again. Sometimes it rains, and you might just get raped."

jason

ah the power of the media- when you hold the truth you can bend it all you want. come up north to dirty jersey, drive through camden and start to appreciate where it is you live.

February 03 2007 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
it-s

Speaking of unbelievable, we're also expected to believe that a murderer would feel confident that their prospective murder victim would just happen to step on the one mine they planted on a beach that stretches for miles and miles in either direction. Even knowing that that particular stretch of beach was the pickup point, how can you expect your victim to step on that particular square foot of sand?

January 25 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarakanne

Last night's episode was just a tad unbelievable. O.K. am I supposed to believe that Delko beat up some guy in a bar, was served papers suing him for personal injury on the same day and by the end of the show (also the same day), Delko had settled with the plaintiff. If only our justice system really worked this quickly.

January 24 2007 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarakanne

O.K., Horatio has had enough time to mourn the loss of Marisol (Alana de la Garza who bolted to NBC for a starring role in Law & Order). The writers need to come up with a new love interest for him and some sexy scenes like Caruso did on NYPD Blue. Let's get real writers--David Caruso is what makes this show what it is. He is quite nice looking and he needs a woman in his life.

January 24 2007 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannine McKenna

Yes- I have been to Miami, and I agree that there are some really nasty area's. But just like all the cities they're putting on TV- we're not always seeing them as they really are. When they did the show "Providence", it was mostly aerial shot's of downtown Providence and the "upper class" of the Eastside of Pvd, namely "College Hill". It's historical & beautifully kept up. Now let's go to Showtimes "Brotherhood", which is in Providence, RI,(again)and now everyone get's to see the "real" "Providence", Rhode Island. The construction, the mobs, mostly dominated by Irish, Italian & French. But also w/MANY other cultures, too!
Rhode Island, Florida, California, Chicago, Houston and or Texas itself, all our states & cities are beautiful AND YES, dangerous, too! There are ALOT of streets in PVD I definately stayed away from & when I had to drive thru- I went FAST! I still loved it in Miami and still go whenever I get the chance or need to go. I travel quite a bit and can tell you we are STILL a BEAUTIFUL country. But, yeah-I still thought FL tourism would flip out on last nights segment. But it won't stop me from continuing to go to Florida and/or Miami, I love it there. Then again, I love it up in Providence, too!!!

January 23 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nikhil

hillarious

January 23 2007 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom_squick

All those old people driving.

January 23 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

Is any joke that ends with, "just might get raped," funny? Yes.

January 23 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

All I can say is thank god someone else thought the same thing.

I swear I blinked at the tv and thought 'oooo, Miami Tourism Board might have grounds for a lawsuit on that one....'

January 22 2007 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Yeah, that phrasing for the current promo is a bit questionable... but seriously, have you been to Miami??

Beautiful in some spots, get-the-hell-out-of-there in others. Take the Metro Rail and just *watch* some of the places you pass over.

January 22 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply