November 24, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Come Play Wiz Me

by Jen Creer, posted Jan 22nd 2007 12:31AM
paul and zach young(S03E13) Well, it seems that setting Mike free had a symbolic meaning for Susan as well as a literal one. When Susan was embracing a distraught Ian at the end of the episode, she had her eyes closed. There was no lingering glance, no eye rolling, nothing to indicate that she was anything less than sincere in her love for Ian.

Oh, I'm not buying it for one second. But there it was. And now that Susan isn't flinging herself in his direction, of course Mike seems interested.

Mike tells Zach that he doesn't remember him, "But I know who you are." That is a very ambiguous statement. Paul tells Mike that they shared more than a cell block. But do you think Mike really knows that Zach is his son? Or do you think Mike was referring simply to knowing Zach's identity.

I love Gaby, just love her. Eva Longoria is such a fine actress; she really did seem to be having a good time with Zach when they got out of the limo. I can even buy Gaby's reasons for wanting to be friends with Zach. Oh, Susan had such a good zinger though: "Let's not pretend we are above teenagers." Is Gaby protesting too much by stressing to Zach that they are only going to be friends? And do you think Zach is just going to swallow his obsession with her, or was he telling Paul his version of the truth when he claimed he was going to marry his fantastic new girlfriend?

Poor Orson. I do not even want to speculate about whether or not it would actually be possible for Alma to have raped him with those pills. But you know she is going to claim she is pregnant, whether she is or not. And heck, maybe she is! That would certainly spice things up (especially with today's meta-knowledge that Marcia Cross is actually pregnant in real life, but they aren't using her pregnancy on the show. Now we know why; apparently, the one who carries Orson's child wins. They may be able to hide Marcia Cross's burgeoning belly, but they aren't disguising her bosom very well. Even if I didn't know she was pregnant, I would have known something was up when she was out watering her garden!).

Alma's violation of Orson (don't these people believe in calling the police for crying out loud? Bring the wheelbarrow? Which was very funny, by the way) aside, we still don't know the real story about Monique. What does Orson know from looking at those teeth? He wanted to know if they were a full set, and he called his mother and let her and Alma both know the jig was up. Were they Monique's teeth? Or perhaps Orson's mother had her teeth pulled out and got herself a new set. At any rate, for some reason, Alma can no longer go to the police, but now Orson can. Too bad Bree doesn't know what is going on. Yet.

All of the housewives had jam-packed story lines this episode: Lynette had her big career switch. Did anybody not see that coming as soon as Tom came in and said that his manager had quit? But even so, that kid Kayla is probably even more bad news than her mother! Kayla scares me to death: I don't even know adults in my real life who are so cut throat. She makes Alma look like Glenna the Good Witch. And suddenly Lynette is in love with the pizza parlor and wants to make a change after one day at a street fair? I hate this storyline already. Please, Dear Writers, don't drag this one out.

Erika

Zach's hair was disgusting!
that's what you should all be talking about.

January 23 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Is it just me or does Zach look nothing like his real father?

this show is 85% humor, 85% realistic.

January 23 2007 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I'm not saying that male rape is ok...or that it's a light situation. And yes, it is more serious than Gabi's stalker...but having a stalker can be a serious situation as well. Which I have a feeling it will be. And the biggest point I was pulling from Gabi's situation is that she didn't call the cops. Because it seems that, for the most part, the cops are rarely called on Wisteria Lane, unless they have to be (or unless you're Susan...)

They've turned murder into light situations, stalking into a light situation, amnesia, adultery...it could go on, perhaps. Even the whole "watching your crazy boyfriend kill himself by overdose" thing was made light of.

So, no, in the real world, male rape is NOT funny. Rape in general is a horrible, horrible thing.
But you can't get pissed at a show that makes light of many serious situations for making Alma so crazy that you laugh at her.

January 23 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

This is getting pretty off topic, so this is the last comment I'm going to make on this topic:

I personally side with the writers of South Park and saying that either everything's okay to make fun of, or nothing is. If you can make a joke about Holocaust victims, child molestation, Princess Di's death, and sex with dogs and make it funny, I say more power to you. What makes one tragic event funny and another not is largely based on subjective stuff like how much it gets reported and talked about (which is often directly tied to how recently it happened, I admit).

Basically what I'm getting at is that, if they had tried for a similarly light tone with a woman being raped, audience reaction probably would have been more appalled/aghast (and probably wouldn't have gotten past the FCC), but that doesn't mean they were wrong to play Orson's rape for laughs.

And back on topic: since Desperate Housewives embraces so many over-the-top, often cliche storylines, I'm going to guess that Monique was somehow related to Zach's mother a.k.a. the woman Mary Alice killed a.k.a. the woman Mike used to date and sought revenge for.

January 22 2007 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Wow...just wow.

January 22 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Wow, Sean, wow. Maybe the difference is that the Trojan Massacre occurred thousands of years ago yet there are still people walking on this Earth with numbers tattooed on their forearms. Your comments are in bad taste.

January 22 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lora

So what you're saying is that while we're in agreement that rape is bad, it's bad taste to make jokes about women being raped but not regarding men being raped? What did Ted say above? Oh yeah: That's the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

January 22 2007 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

"Sean, that's the stupidest comment I've ever heard. Congratulations on coming out to the world as a bigoted jackass."

What? It's a fact that if you make a joke about the Holocaust, people won't laugh. I have, however, seen people laugh at a joke about the city of Troy being destroyed by the Greeks (an episode of The simpsons, did that once, for example). Both are examples of mass murder, but no one's ever seen survivors of the sack of Troy in a documentary or read the memoirs of a Trojan child whose parents were killed by the Greeks. As such people being killed in the Holocaust, off limits for humor; people being killed in the Trojan War, go right ahead. The same thing applies to the rape of men and the rape of women. There's lots of stuff out there dealing with how women suffer because of rape, therefore it's not considered acceptable humor by most people. Male rape (particularly of the man raped by woman nature) has an infintismal speck of that exposure, so most people don't have the negative reaction to it that would make it seem inappropriate as a joke.

What I'm getting at is: Holocaust, destruction of Troy, and rape; all bad. Jokes about Holocaust and rape of women; in bad taste. Jokes about Trojan War and the rape of men; not in bad taste.

January 22 2007 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

January 22 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

As far as making light of the rape scene goes: remember last season when George threw Bree's psychiatrist off the bridge? That was played pretty lightly with the music and all (I actually remember laughing out loud). Granted, we later found out that Goldfine wasn't dead, but, at the time, there was every reason to believe he had just been murdered.

And I think the reason a double standard exists about rape of men compared to women is that (through a combination of being more commonly raped and reporting it more), most people have seen plenty of news stories and fictionalized accounts of women dealing with the psychological fallout of being raped, but you don't see much of that for men. It's the same reason why I can make a joke about how stupid the Trojans were for accepting the Trojan Horse, which led to them all being slaughtered, but can't make a joke about how stupid the Jews were for thinking they were going into showers, which led to them all being slaughtered. Because of Schindler's List, Elie Wiesel, and the like no one seems to find the Holocaust funny, but no one gives two bits about the ancient city of Troy.

January 22 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply