April 25, 2014

Is Lauer plotting against Vieira?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 22nd 2007 12:15PM

Vieira and LauerThat's the theory pushed by veteran TV critic Tom Shales in this piece over at TV Week. The numbers for the Today Show are declining, and Shales thinks that the reasons are twofold. One, viewers haven't warmed up to Meredith Vieira since she took over for Katie Couric. And two, he actually thinks that Matt Lauer is trying to sabotage her work:

If viewers haven't hugely warmed up to Vieira, then part of the reason may be misbehavior by her hammy co-host. Repeatedly and perhaps vindictively, Matt has seemed intent on tripping Vieira up on the air-interrupting, hogging the spotlight, cold-shouldering her, subtly putting her down. Matt perhaps doesn't want to be outshone by a woman once again.

I don't watch the show as much as I used to so I have no idea if this is true or not. Readers?

Shales also doesn't have kind words for the pairing of Diane Sawyer and Robin Roberts over at Good Morning America.

[via TV Newser]

Brenda

I watch the Today Show every morning and Meredith is a breath of fresh air over there. I never cared much for Matt or Katie. Ann is just not a good reporter, she keeps flubbing her script and she doesn't have much personality. In my opinion, there is too much banter on the set and they're hardly ever really funny, they just laugh at each other's jokes to be polite. There needs to be more "real" news stories and a lot less fluff. or I may soon tune into a different channel.

March 21 2007 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophia Rallis

I was always a big fan of the Today show but they have nothing of substance to show anymore. When this was a "news" show, it was worth listening to, but it is just a piece of fluff. If they don't do something about that soon, it doesn't matter if Matt and Merideth "get along" because there will be no viewers left to watch the 2+ hour beauty, health, and whatever show!

March 21 2007 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dottie Hoffman

FIRST I CROSSED ROSIE OFF MY "TO SEE" LIST AND NOW I AM CROSSING OFF THE TODAY SHOW. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THEIR MEAN LEFTIST COMMENTS.
HELLO GOOD MORNING AMERICA!!!

March 15 2007 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TrekkieBear

I hated Katie Couric with all the loathing that one can muster for a morning news show that devotes 12 seconds to "news" and the rest to pop culture bs. I'll never forget Katie's coverage of the Pope's death. It's something I will never forget for the sheer hideous simpering she did that was supposed to resemble reverence. Matt got there first and I honestly don't think Katie was supposed to be there. Then suddenly just before the funeral she's all like, "SURPRISE, I'm in ROME! Oh, who's the purple looking dead guy?"

I'm glad Katie is gone. I'm glad she's flopping on CBS. She deserves a lot worse.

On Meredith's first date, Matt was NOT nice to her. He hasn't improved much since and I never new he could be so mean-spirited. I knew he hated Vatican Barbie but why he's taking it out on Meredith I don't know. I never liked Meredith much on The View but now that the shows stylists have stopped trying to remake her in Katie's image and when she can dodge Matt's subtle yet still perceptible barbs, I think she's a great addition to the Today Show and the few times I do tune in, it's because of her smooth, solid, classy and down to Earth demeanor.

March 13 2007 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Diggins

DOES Shales really watch Taoday or is he just filling column space? I watch almosrt daily and
disagree 1.) I find Meredith much more down to earth than Katie and 2.)I find genuine chemisry between her and Matt i think it was a slow news day for Tom.

March 06 2007 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
INEZ CURIEL

I THINK MEREDITH IS A SMART, SASSY AND GREAT GAL AND I FEEL HER PERSONALITY BEATS CUTSY MS. COURIC. SHE DEFINITELY ENHANCES THE TODAY SHOW. I USED TO WATCH A DIFFERENT CHANNEL BUT RELIGIOUSLY WATCH THE TODAY SHOW SINCE SHE IS ON THERE. AS FAR AS MATT IS CONCERNED, I FIND HIM TO BE EGOTISTICAL AND ENJOYS PUTTING DOWN EVERYONE IN HIS PATH.

March 01 2007 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
surgrn

I spent 2 hrs trying to get in touch with someone at the TODAY show. Forget about Matt and Meredith, the show is dying fast, MAtt and Meredith are only on for the first segment of the show and Al Roker becomes the host for the second part. Last week I was so disgusted with his behavior, I tried desperately to tell someone at NBC. I sent Emails, only to get a auto-answer, I called, only to get a message that the machine was full. Don't they care what their viewers think? Well when their rating continue to decline I am sure they will still be scratching their heads in wonder. GET RID OF ROKER !!!! I have left TODAY show. I am not missing anything !!!!

February 23 2007 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana Kirkland

Okay, first of all, I really love Merideth. She is sincere, caring, a very hard worker. I hope that she gets the confidence back that she had on The View, where she would insert insightful, interesting and empathetic view points. Matt is fine. He is certainly the very best on morning TV. I do not know if there are any ill feelings, however, if there are, LET THEM GO! The Today Show is far and above the best morning news show and needs to stay that way. Al is wonderful, of course. As for Ann, why is everyone so critical? She, also, seems genuine and caring. She delivers the news with professionalism and is able to laugh at herself when she makes a mistake, as is Merideth.
I do think that Katie made a grave carreer choice. The nightly news does not fit her perky, upbeat personality. That was, however, her choice.
I think everyone needs to just settle a bit. The Today Show is still the very best morning news and it takes time to get kinks worked out, with new staffing etc. I would agree, though, that more relevent, thoughtful segments would be a welcome addition. However, as someone commented earlier the Today Show is light years ahead of GMA on fluff filtering. I am sticking with the Today Show. I really like all of the journalists and think that if people would just think about having to do the job that they do, everyone might not be so quick to critisize.
Just a side note, Merideth, you are sorely missed on the view!

February 08 2007 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammie

I think Matt Lauer is intelligent, classy, sensitive and has a good sense of humor. Meredith I'm still not sure about. But she's not on enough to get used to her. I think I heard once that she only does part of the show because she has to go over and host Millionare. Ann Curry is annoying as hemroids. If she interviewed me (which she wouldn't want to) but if... I'd have to smack her for getting in my face. And for interrupting me. Sometimes I just want to tell her to shut up! She does ok at the news desk and that's where she needs to stay!

February 01 2007 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grandma

I don't think Matt is trying to sabotage Meredith. I do think the chemistry is not right. I loved Meredith on The View, but I don't think she is comfortable on the Today Show. I think they would have been better had they given the job to Natalie. I also don't think your readers are being fair to Ann. I think she is as genuine as she comes across on the screen, and does well with news pieces that call for compassion.

January 31 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply