September 22, 2014

The Class loses a member

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 22nd 2007 10:54PM
The revised Class castAnyone who watched The Class tonight may have noticed something: Lucy Punch, who played snooty reporter Holly Ellenbogen, was missing from the opening credits. Her bio has disappeared from the show's page on CBS's web site; she's even disappeared from the site's cast photo (right).

This isn't unexpected, since the producers said that a) they were going to concentrate on the romantic storylines on the show and b) it was obvious to everyone that her storyline, which included her gay-but-not-gay husband, wasn't working. She was being shown on the program less and less, usually reporting something that set up some plotline in an episode. But to unceremoniously dump her like that, wiping her off the screen like she was never there, seems pretty cold to me.

Is there going to be any acknowledgment that Holly is gone? If the show ever makes syndication (unlikely), will she be stricken from the reruns, much like Carla Gugino was from the reruns of the first half-season of Spin City? It's always odd when cast members just disappear like that. Even Chuck Cunningham got a full season... didn't he?

Misty

I really like the show and have watched it from the start. I like Holly's character and think that they should have kept her. The episode where she accidentally killed the bunny at the petting zoo was really creative- not to mention hilarious (by the way, I AM an animal lover).

They should continue the plot with Richie's wife and her. And if they are going to keep her husband in the show, they should still have scenes with her reporting.

On another note, does anyone know when the new episodes will be broadcast?

March 19 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harley.copping

I first downloaded this show to make up for a lot of shows going on a season break or being cancelled (yes FOX I mean you).
I originally downloaded the first ep to see what it is like and it gave me enough to download the next 9 or so. After about the 7th or 8th ep I decided to download the rest of the season and am really happy I did. I was a bit freaked out when the Holly character just disappeared from the credits although after watching a marathon 16 episodes in a day, you notice it straight away.
I think it definately picked up as the season went on, I found myself caring for the characters more and more.

March 06 2007 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmandaM

The Class is one of my favorite shows this season. Can anyone confirm that it has been cancelled? I sure would hate to see it go.

March 06 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne Quinn

I am really disappointed to see Holly go. I especially love Sam Harris' character. I really hope that they include him in future episodes, he is wonderful! They should have explained her omission, she is no longer in the opening picture, it is insulting to the fans!

February 15 2007 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Rubin

Best line of the season so far:

"Oh, you have a gun. You must be Fern!"

January 25 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I actually like Holly in small doses. Some of the funniest moments came from her - the stop sign slamming into her (and Kyles reaction to it) was one of the biggest laughs and who can forget the poor bunny rabbit who suffered from her Jimmy Choo's.

My question is where is Kyles partner been? He has been MIA.

I really hope this show is renewed, I truly enjoy it ever week and actually look forward to it. Think about this, Seinfeld had poor ratings its first year too, but NBC stuck with it and well we all know what happened.

January 23 2007 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SenorWeird

I just finish telling someone about the show and it's overweight 8 character cast. I watch yesterdays and I'm like "oh, I was wrong....it's seven? No. That's not right. Where's the reporter?"

Considering I've only seen three episodes (hated it at first, but the last two, it suddenly clicked), that is telling that even I caught it.

January 23 2007 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Kat got the new boyfriend in the previous episode; it was a major plot point ("Why doesn't he call?")

January 23 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Tracy, I never stopped watching the show. I just got sick of reviewing it, especially saying the same thing every week.

I'll admit the show's gotten better, but it might be too late to save it. It goes off the air on March 5, when its season finale airs, and I'm wondering if its going to come back at all.

Oh, and riffing off the disconnect by JJ, here's another question: when did Kat acquire that British boyfriend of hers? I'm wondering if there's a missing episode in there that CBS decided to either not run or run later in some re-packaged form.

January 23 2007 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jukin

It seems strange that they would end one episode with Richie's wife (Fern?) calling her on the phone and telling her "I'm gonna get you!" after Richie lies and tells her that Holly is who he met after heir separation. Why set that confrontation up and not complete it? The writers could certainly have had fun with a confused confrontation between a jealous and bitter Fern and a confused and goofy Holly. If they wanted to write her off they could easily have had Fern wimp out at the last minute unable to bring herself to kill Holly - only to have Holly have a goofy and fatal accident as she leaves. Or have Holly laugh it off only to find herself in the role of the jealous and bitter wife when she walks in on her gay husband with another man. Or have Holly get an assignment as a travel correspondent and give her occasional appearances in a sort of "Peterman" role from Seinfeld. It's clear from these passing thoughts why I'm not a sitcom writer, but any of them are better options than pretending she never existed. I still don't understand why they set up that confrontation only to pretend it never happened.

January 23 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply