August 28, 2014

Isaiah Washington may get fired

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 23rd 2007 8:10AM
isaiah washingtonThe New York Times is reporting that ABC and Disney execs are "mulling the future" of Isaiah Washington. He's in hot water with fans, critics, and his own co-stars for using the word "faggot" to describe gay co-star T.R. Knight. His use of that word may be in violation of Disney's corporate antidiscrimination policy (plus, there's an online petition to get him canned).

Let me sum up: He got into a verbal and then physical argument with Patrick Dempsey on the set of Grey's last year, in which Washington used the f-word to refer to Knight. It all simmered down until Golden Globes night when Washington told a room full of reporters that it never happened and he repeated the f-word. Co-stars Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight went on different television shows blasting Washington. Since then, Washington has apologized, claimed he's "getting help", fired his publicist (why? because he's the bigot?), and hired a crisis management team. Yesterday, he met with gay activists.

Washington is reacting the same way Mel Gibson and Michael Richards reacted when they were busted for making racial slurs. Here's the difference: Isaiah Washington could never work in Hollywood again and very few people would care. Mel Gibson is a huge, worldwide star and even his reputation took a major beating. Michael Richards is Kramer (although, it's debatable whether he'll survive his own fiasco). Isaiah Washington? He's been on a trendy television show for 2.5 years. I say boot his ass and forget about him. He screwed up not once but twice. There are better people out there who are worth the fame and fortune that he's receiving.

[Via Pop Candy & TV Tattle]

Judy Harders

I think we do forget that these people are just actors. That does not excuse anyone (including Mel Gibson) from the consequences of their "trash talk" but in my mind it does not increase its importance either. It seems to me as someone said above, that the issue is internal to the cast. If they cannot work with Washington because they can't get beyond his bigotry toward another cast member, then the whole dynamic of one of my very favorite shows will be destroyed. Then he has to go. I am so tired of people retreating to the concept "I'm getting therapy for my issues". His issue is that he is a bigot creating a hostile environment on the set. Perhaps a Pavlovian shock system every time he is rude would help better.

January 25 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meeno

"neo Christian"?!?!?!
lol
what is that?

You continue to defy logical thinking. Were you harmed by Christians and now are angry at all of them, or are you just mad at African-Americans?

Probably both.

Im sorry for whatever happened to you, but the only point I was trying to make is not everyone knows that "faggot" is an unacceptable word to call a homosexual. Apparently, you dont know that the N-word is a racial slur, because you keep throwing it around freely. You should take some time to study the concepts of Christianity because bigotry is not one of concepts of it. But, as an African-American Christian, I forgive your ignorance and bigotry

You probably just hate yourself
I dont blame you

January 24 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

meeno01.

Let me guess the private school was a very neo Christain private school? That would explain that you don't know about anything in the real world. It would also explain why you have no gay friends or any gays, because you were taught to be a bigot. Do you know that nigger is a slur? :rolleyes:

January 24 2007 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

He started a fight, called someone a faggot.

He then denied it for months and months. He came out and said faggot again denying that he said it for first time. A week later he said he did do it and he's sorry yadda yadda. it's obvious that he is amental case and could be bringing down the whole show so he might get fired. And like I said number times if a co-worker called him a niger the network would fire him in a second and there would be protests on the street. So I will continue to call a niger a niger. He has dark skin so he must be a niger. He's a niger with serious mental issues.

January 24 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane

Is there no one that cannot see where the real problem is. The media needed to create more drama to boost ratings and so brought up a subject that was already being dealt with by the cast of the show. I do not know anyone who has not said something stupid in their life, but fortunately for most of us, it was not recorded.

January 24 2007 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Hendrix

It's really interesting to me how much some people want to dismiss this (and the Richards and Gibson affairs) as people being "too P.C.": Just get over it, he only called a fag a fag, what's the big deal, etc etc. The big deal is that certain words in our culture have been used to degrade and humiliate entire classes of people - you can't use those words without tapping into literally centuries of hatred, oppression and violence. Countless people in our country's history have been been killed for just having the "wrong" skin color or being attracted to the "wrong" sex, and the words "nigger" and "faggot" are direct links to that. Using them IS a big deal, and it's wrong, and when public figures do it we shouldn't just let it slide.

January 24 2007 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

i think the initial SLUR is forgivable, if washington was earnest in his apology, HOWEVER i do believe there is something else going on.

it seems that washington has personality issues that gets on everyone's nerves.

otherwise why would dempsey get into a physical alteration? he must have told washington off, and got a "F*ck you" as a reply.

seems this guy is too cocky in real life and THAT is the real problem! not the negligent utterance of single word.

i think the execs and shonda rhimes are being pressured from the rest of the cast to dump this guy, but they really didnt have too much leverage UNTIL his outburst at the golden globes.

I feel they will surely fire him, the scales have tipped.

January 23 2007 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shore

I also believe that he should be fired. He must be having some attitude crisis right now or he is really like that.

January 23 2007 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meeno

"meeno01 you have to be an idiot, or not fromAmerica, not to know that faggot is a slur. Are you an AMerican and did you go to high school? Gay is fine, homosexual is stupid, hell even queer isn't as bad as faggot."

Wow, thats great just great David,
First, yes, I am an "AMerican" who went to private school from kindergarten through high school in Los Angeles, who is about to graduate from San Diego State, so I guess me being an idiot is out the window.
Secondly, I didnt know that the word "faggot" is a sexual slur mainly because I dont spend much time with homosexual people, I guess you have me beat on that.

You should write some kind of p.c. guide book, so in the future I will know to call you or anyone else a
"homosexual" not "faggot"

thanks a lot

January 23 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

It's his actions and his words, AND the double standard.

If I called a niger on the set I would have been fired i na week.

He also started a fight, then called what's his name a faggot. He then denied calling him a faggot, then came out and said he did. The whole thing is a mess from a lieing fucknig niger bitch.

January 23 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply