October 1, 2014

The highest-rated TV show of the season

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 23rd 2007 12:04PM

question markSo, what do you think it is?

Was it the debut episode of this season's American Idol? Was it the season opener of 24? Or maybe the half-season-ender of Lost a few months ago? The season opener of Grey's Anatomy?

Nope. The highest-rated TV show of the season so far was the third episode of Ghost Whisperer! OK, I'm kidding. The actual highest-rated show after the jump.

It's the New England Patriots/Indianapolis Colts AFC championship game from this past Sunday!

The game got a 28.1 Nielsen rating and captured a 40 share. That translates to "a lot of people watched it." It probably helped that it was a night game, starting around 7pm on the east coast.

The game wasn't that high-rated in my household though. I think my roommate slammed a couple of things and screamed several times. The Pats really blew it. But congrats to the Colts, they deserve it. I just hope Peyton Manning isn't too busy filming commercials for various products and finds time to play in the Super Bowl.

Jim

PeteL, everyone knows the conference championship games are always better than the Super Bowl.

January 23 2007 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

Bullcrap.

Now I understand why people hate Bob Sassone!

January 23 2007 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dante

In history? You mean US history because god knows outside the US other events get FAR better ratings.

January 23 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PeteL

It was the AFC Championship game there Jim. Not the SuperBowl at all.

January 23 2007 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RR

@Jim

>Well duh! Aren't 8 of the Top 10 most
>watched programs in history Super Bowls?

No, 10 out of 10 of them are World Cup soccer games :-P

Viewed by 2 billion+ people, there's no comparison.

January 23 2007 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Everyone saw how the Pats completely fell apart and how I showed people the game isn't over until it's over.

January 23 2007 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Well duh! Aren't 8 of the Top 10 most watched programs in history Super Bowls?

January 23 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

What a sneaky post...! I am not interested in amateur hour shows like American Idol & would not have followed your "after the jump" tease but for your clever, but now very annoying lead-up.

Wow, silly me, I thought by TV shows you meant things actually on TV.

Let it go, people.

January 23 2007 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

No surprise... I was thinking before I "jumped" that it's always a football game.

January 23 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana Graves

What a sneaky post...! I am not interested in football & would not have followed your "after the jump" tease but for your clever, but now very annoying lead-up.

January 23 2007 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply