July 31, 2014

Ellen's new BFF may be a fake - VIDEO

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 25th 2007 10:41AM
ellen degeneresEllen DeGeneres has a new friend named Gladys, an 88-year old woman from Austin, Texas who is quick as a whip. At least, that's who she seems to be. But this Texas newspaper columnist thinks something is fishy. She and her co-workers tried to contact Gladys Hardy and not only could they not locate her, but they found out that the same 'Gladys' is a regular caller on some Texas morning radio programs. And she has a website. That's awfully prolific for an 88-year old woman. When the Texas reporter called Ellen's people, they said they've enjoyed their chats with Gladys but might not call her again.

How did this all come about? Well, 'Gladys' left a hilarious message on Ellen's company voicemail about the placement of a plant on the set and Ellen returned her phone call on air. She's talked to her once again since that episode and even invited Gladys to the show, but she declined. Hmmmm.

A clip of her talking to Ellen is after the jump. I think it's an actor/comedian who has duped Ellen. Watch it and tell me if you think Gladys is a fake.

[Via TV Tattle]

Laura Collins

She's not fake, she posted a video on YouTube aimed at Oprah Winfrey saying she wants to meet her, She died 2 years later. She didn't get to meet her. She was 99 when she died. :(

September 21 2012 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katballou

Love it. I believe it. I live there lots of great older people that are hilarious

February 04 2007 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenneth Selman

Funny is funny. Ya can't fake that.
Checked out her "website" the lady aint selling anything so far. (And it would be just fine if she did) I'm just saying that it seems like everyone is selling something here except Gladys.
Just look at all the ads on this page alone. Serously, it's kinda gross.

I also feel that laughter is real. Imagine all the positive that this video has generated.

Folks tv itself is an illusion. Willingly suspend your disbelief and enjoy the device for what it is- Entertainment.

I hope Gladys lives forever. I sure won't forget how hard I laughed when I saw this for the first time.

Good stuff.

January 26 2007 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan Powers

This is the first I've heard that it might be a fake.
It is so funny and I love Ellen any time, but especially when she laughs.

January 26 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miguel

Glady's talking about Austin shutting down for two days was so true. I live in Austin, and the roads got a little icy so they shut down the whole city and we didn't have school for two and half days. Nobody in Austin can handle any cold weather. :)

January 25 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aboykin

She calls into 107.5 here in North Carolina as well (Greensboro). I just thought it was always someone on the station, here they claim she works for the local country station I believe.

January 25 2007 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabeth

The Austin Chronicle thinks it's a local prankcaller:

January 25 2007 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

She sounds too good to not be a fake...the comic timing and waiting for the audience to stop laughing. I don't believe anything on TV is genuine, anyway.

January 25 2007 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhizGidget

I found contact information that says the Administrative contact is located in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia... that's surely a long way from Texas, y'all.

January 25 2007 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jd

She sounded fake to me. A man. And funny as all get out.

January 25 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply