August 30, 2014

Two more years of SVU for Hargitay, Meloni

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 25th 2007 1:24PM
mariska hargitay; christopher meloniLead actors Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni have both agreed to stick around on Law & Order: SVU for two more seasons. It seems that money did the talking. Variety is reporting that both actors received about a $6.5 million raise for each year season. The publication says Hargitay is going to receive approximately $300,000-$340,000 per episode, pushing her up among the highest-paid female actors on television. Looks like baby August gets to go to private school!

Both actors had a hell of a lot of bargaining power in their contract negotiations. That show delivers consistently strong ratings for NBC and it absolutely would not be the same without Dets. Olivia Benson and Elliot Stabler (Think: The X-Files without Mulder and Scully). Let's hope the network gives an incentive to keep Richard Belzer around, too.

SVU is currently in season 8, which means we're guaranteed seasons 9 and 10, which is exactly how long the sexual tension will last.

kathy

...that the show made the effort to retain marisa gives me hope, but for crying out loud! when are the writers going to take some risks with the benson/stabler relationship? there hasn't been small screen chemistry like this in years, & it seems to me the writers are wasting time and talent.

January 31 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russ

Good news! But please fire Ice T. He sucks. Worst actor on tv. And who would ever believe someone like him with a total lack of empathy could ever work with special victims? That last episode with him as the lead was the worst L%O of all time.

January 25 2007 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

Interesting your comment about Munch - I was just asked to take a NBC survey about this show, and among everything I was asked, there were a few here and there that asked how I would perceive the show without Munch. It also was heavy questioned on why I like both Stabler and Benson, and where I thought the ADA should go, character-wise. I was also under the impression that they're adding on the cop that was introduced the other week. I did say that I thought Munch and Fin should have some more meatier roles. I wonder if the results of the survey helped out in the negotiations...?

January 25 2007 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Bishop

This is one of the best shows on TV. I hope they give Belzer a raise and start making him a more prominent member of the show. As Det. Munch since the days of Homicide: Life on the Street, Belzer has nailed that character and it would be nice to see more of him in the future.

January 25 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Super.

Two more years of Marisa Hargitay's furrowed eyebrows and mildly concerned glances.

And for this she wins Emmys.

Just super.

If it were up to me, SVU would be all about Detective Munch.

January 25 2007 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

That's great news. The show wouldn't be the same without them. Considering all the revenue that the networks makes on this top rated show, Meloni and Hargitay deserve every penny.

January 25 2007 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Now they just need to cancel the other LaOs.

January 25 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply