October 23, 2014

Tyra Banks reveals her weight

by Julia Ward, posted Jan 25th 2007 2:03PM
Tyra Banks bathing suitDiss her Oprah wannabe ways. Shame her production company's union-busting agenda. Recoil at her transformation into a finger-snappin', head-rollin' drag queen. But, don't say that Tyra Banks is anything short of fearless. In People Magazine's February 5th issue, Banks reveals her actual weight, which has fluctuated between 148 and 162 pounds since she quit modeling in 2005. Banks was upset when unflattering photos of her in a bathing suit appeared online after a Sydney vacation with such headlines as "Tyra Banks is Fat." "It was such a strange meanness and rejoicing that people had when thinking that was what my body looked like. It was really hurtful to me." Banks says that she's "not the healthiest eater" and "not required to live up to that model standard anymore."

You're right, Tyra. You're not required to live up to that standard anymore so the next time you decide to go online do it from on top of a big pile of money that you earned modeling - beer in one hand, Hot Pocket in the other. If it would make you feel better to do something nice for someone else, you could always give your writers health insurance.

MirAnda

As a past director of a weight loss clinic, and a former model myself, I say,"TYRA, YOU ARE TOTALLY PUT TOGETHER!" What Tyra has done with her openess is let the world know her confidence in herself is not just on the runway, or the film set.

Tyra, CONGRATULATIONS on your new life! Thanks for all the beauty you share with the world, inside and out!

April 22 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tasila e banda

Tyra is so pretty.Keep it up dear

April 14 2007 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tasila e banda

I love tyra too much.My wish is to meet her one day.How can that be possible,am looking forward for the reply.Am from africa.
God bless her.
Tasila

April 14 2007 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

The person that wrote this article did not do a very good job. The next time you want to take a passive aggressive approach to gripe about health insurance for writers don't use someone who is actually doing something helpful for people as the main focus of your story. Your concluding paragraph was not very appropriate or necessary regarding the topic which is obviously a sensative subject for many poeople.

March 19 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gentiana

ewll gosh im 13 years oldd and i rather be fat then thin skiNnyy goshh tyra looks hot fat or skinnyy why dosse the wourld care about how other plp look fat or skinny still everyone is prettyy

February 21 2007 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

She has always been georgeous... Now Tyra is SMOKIN' HOT!!!

February 06 2007 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhonda

I think Tyra is one of the most beautiful, down to earth, realistic woman out there! The woman is willing to expose her faults for the world to see. To show the difference between reality and make believe.
I keep a picture of me at my goal weight of 160 lbs on my desk. Any thing under 160 and I look too thin, and I'm 5"7. I look at Tyra's current weight and it reminds me of where I want to be. Tyra is beautiful just the way she is!

February 02 2007 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MamaKath

As someone currently undergoing treatment for an eating disorder that has spanned the past 42 years, ranging in weight from 198lbs. to 95lbs. at 5'4", I say to Tyra Banks, "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!" She is doing something that so many others have not had the guts to do... She's flaunting in the face of all the "pretty people" that IT IS OK TO WEIGH MORE THAN A FEATHER! The physiological deterioration caused by a lifetime of trying to look rail thin, and thereby acceptable to society, has taken a huge toll on so many people out there. It has also taken quite a psychological, emotional, intellectual, financial and cognitive toll on not only people afflicted with an eating disorder, but their families, friends, co-workers and employers. The disease permeates our society like the web of a black widow spider... And makes just as quick work of the victims as does the widow.

January 31 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

If Tyra Banks is fat then I must be Jabba the Hutt's lard-assed grandpa!

January 25 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Whomever wrote the headline, "Tyra Banks is Fat" probably meant to say, "Tyra Banks is PHAT"! She still rocks it and looks amazing while do so...

January 25 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply