December 22, 2014

A shocking plot twist on tonight's Degrassi

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 26th 2007 12:44PM

DegrassiOK, here we go again with a SPOILER WARNING. Do not, do not, do not read on or scroll down if you don't want to find out what happens on tonight's episode of Degrassi: The Next Generation.

I remember watching the original Degrassi, back in the 50s or whenever it was originally broadcast (I feel old). I was never a regular viewer, but I remember thinking that the show was better than most teen shows, better written, with a realistic cast. And then tackled some serious topics: sex, drugs, violence, relationships. But I don't think they ever had anything like what happens on tonight's show.

A major cast member is murdered in the last five minutes of the show tonight.

J.T. (Shane Kippel Ryan Cooley) is stabbed after leaving a party, retaliation for a confrontation he had with someone earlier in the season. No other cast member except Kippel knew the twist was coming, and everyone was shocked. Kippel has been on the show since the beginning.

The episode airs tonight at 8pm on Noggin.

jessica

When did they say that Terri lived? I thought she was still in a coma. Go figure.

January 29 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick Wynne

"And that's not counting the murder of the overweight girl by her abusive boyfriend. She wasn't really a cast regular, but it was still pretty shocking."

Terri lived and ended up going to another school.

January 29 2007 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

If you live in Canada and have timeshifter (like I do), you *really* score - I think I can watch any given show in four times zones on two different nights (only three time zones in the US). BUT we don't get Dexter, and CTV didn't pick up this season of Nip/Tuck...so it's a trade-off.

January 26 2007 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

This isn't the first cast member to be Killed off. Back in season 5 maybe, one of the cast members Rick brought a gun to school and shot Jimmy, crippling him and in the end was shot during a struggle with Sean...

that was the last season of this show that I watched, it pretty much went downhill after that.

Though JT was one of my favorites, so that's kinda sad.

January 26 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Hadley

You guys really should get some Canadian bloggers. That happened like...a week ago? Give or take. A Canadian blogger could, as mentioned, give you early reviews of Studio 60, Degrassi, etc...just saying.

p.s. I'm available as a blogger...;)

January 26 2007 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marggy

Ryan Cooley is the actor who plays JT, not Shane Kippel. Shane Kippel plays Spinner.

January 26 2007 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey

Another good reason to live in Canada. Not only do I get to see Lost an hour or two early, but I also get Studio 60 a day early and I don't have to make a choice between Heroes and 24. And to top that all off, because Degrassi is a Canadian show I get that way early too. This news about JT is old for me. You Americans get it late and half the time the most edgy stuff gets cut out. And I thought Canadians were supposed to be the polite inoffensive ones. Americans can't even hand;e a little sex and foul language.

January 26 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DegrassFanatic

There's a fine interview with actor Ryan Cooley (JT) over at theTVaddict.com

He talks about leaving the show, his reaction to finding out about his character's death, his future plans and more.

January 26 2007 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

AWESOME.

Children's shows of the future!

January 26 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply