September 23, 2014

Men in Trees: Bed, Bat & Beyond

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 26th 2007 11:43AM
men in trees(S01E14) Ok, first we have to talk about the elephant in the room. The big news this week regarding Men in Trees is that Anne Heche left her husband for co-star James Tupper. I knew they had some steamy chemistry on camera, but I guess that was for real. Sad, really. Their hook-up ruined two marriages-- Tupper's and Heche's. Knowing that kind-of made me bitter toward Heche this week and probably skewed my opinion of this particular episode.

I think the storyline I liked the most this week was Patrick and Annie's. Derek Richardson (Patrick) does a great job playing stressed out. He doesn't breathe and makes me hold my breath as he's freaking out! Anyway, I liked this because Patrick and Annie became independent together, if that makes any sense. they're starting to figure out how to function as a married couple. I imagine this season will end with a wedding, a baby, and a Marin/Jack reunion cliffhanger.

Marin's storyline was a little too transparent. Her house was her rebound from Jack and she took it too fast. Quite frankly, I was bored with the storyline because it was very obvious from the start what the lesson was going to be here. I did dig the scene with the bear pawing at her bedroom door, though.

The Teresa/Ben/Sarah storyline kind-of fizzled out this week, didn't it? I think the writers may be running out of stuff since they keep bringing closure to their love triangles. Or, maybe this was a love triangle that just needed to be closed. Either way, it was pretty obvious that Sarah was going to start working at the Chieftain and she and Teresa would make peace. Although, I don't understand why Teresa believed Sarah when she said she'd stop persuing Ben because she "respects" their marriage. Wasn't Sarah a hooker? Since when does she respect guys' marriages?

There are just some characters who shouldn't be seen naked and in bed together and those characters are Supervisor Dick and Chief Celia. Marin and Jack? Hot! Jane and Plow Guy? Hot (even if he's still a little creepy)! Mai and Buzz? No thanks! Why? Because they're old. Only the young kids are supposed to be having all the sex. Ok- I'm sort-of kidding here.

Great line: "Great, the bat sent re-enforcements." -- Jane

Jan

Please don't make Men In Trees like Sex in the City. Same producer I believe.
It started out as such a cute show. Come on writter's!
Jan

February 03 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wffaddict

I have to agree that this is not all Anne's fault. You can't deny the chemistry that James and Anne have...I am happy for them myself. I love the show and wish we didn't have to go through the Lynn/Jack experience. She needs to go away. Having been in Marin's situation before, I hope she can get back with Jack now. Sarah was not a hooker out of desire but need. I can see her respecting Ben and Theresa's marriage because she respects Ben and she wants a way to support herself and her son. She can do that with a steady job at the Chieftain. I hope Ben is ok. I like Celia and Dick and Jane and Sam. I love Patrick and Annie together...ahh to remember young love. I look forward to the Stuart/Marin relationship just for ahwile until Jack gets his act together. Best wishes to Anne and James...we should all be so lucky!

January 27 2007 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret

That soft focus lens they kept using when they shoot Justine Bateman's side of the scenes was waaaaaayyy distracting. Especially noticible when they'd cut to sharp-focused Jack, then back to fuzzy Justine.

As bad as the lens they used to use on women of the 1st Star Trek series. Those women were practically a blur.

January 27 2007 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CastingGod

Okay first why is it Henche's fault about the breakups. Why isn't it Tupper's too? It does take two to Tango. He;s just as guilty. Since, none of us are in thier marraiges we don't know what the heck was going on.

Now, that's off my chest.Why is it wrong for aolder people to be in bed? It's nice to see REAL bodies instead of Gym bodies all the time. Let's not forget the LYNN/JACK storyline WILL be coming to a close real soon.

Anna you world is so Black and White, you need some gray Girl.

I actually laughed with this episode. For some strange reason I'm hooked on this show. It's like Gilmore Girls, I know everything that's gonna happen but, I keep tuning in.

January 26 2007 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

Jane had several funny line in regards to the bear encounter but that one had me laughing the loudest.

I've liked Plow Guy on the spot though I understand how he can see creepy. But a guy who understands that sometimes a girl has to put her friend first (at the worst moment)without holding a grudge is not such an easy find imo.

Ben and Mai watching some Korean soap was pretty fun, so was Annie's ad.

As for Sara respecting marriages I get your point but she wasn't walking the streets to find customers and in "the sexisode" she did say she didn't want to *date* a married guy. Yet she did but Ben and Theresa were separated at the time.
I like that I can't fault her entirely to be honest.

I didn't mind the obvious house plot because I am much more bothered by Bateman wooden acting (comparatively speaking...of two different thing writing and acting...errrr anyway).

Patrick and Annie are too adorkable for words. I feared their coupling would bore me because they're so sweet but they keep making me grin.

Celia and her boyfriend....blah. I like that she has someone but I'm not looking for more of the two of them.

As for the Heche/Tupper hook up, you may have wanted to use Jerome's "caribou in the room". ;)

I don't know if you've bothered to read Bergl's blog at TV Guide.com but she related a funny story about the bear kissing Tupper that was pretty sweet if icky. *g*

All in all a better episode than last week's imo.

January 26 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply