November 28, 2014

Top 20 '80s TV shows (or so they say)

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 26th 2007 3:04PM

perfect strangersHenry and Matt at Brohans.com have compiled what they are absolutely, positively sure are the twenty greatest '80s television series ever. They are:

• Mr. Belvedere
  • Miami Vice
  • The Wonder Years
  • MASH
  • MacGyver
  • Cheers
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation

Out of this list, I only see four I would still watch today (MASH, Magnum P.I., Doogie Howser and The Wonder Years). Shows like Knight Rider, The A-Team, ALF and The Dukes of Hazzard were fun when I was a youngster, but they're essentially live-action cartoons. Okay, I'll watch them when I don't want to think too hard about what I'm watching, but those times are rare.

A lot of these shows seem confined to the decade in which they were created, with the exception of the ones I mentioned (and it's worth pointing out that two of those shows actually take place in earlier decades). The only two shows on the list I didn't watch were Miami Vice and Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I can't fairly judge either of them. At the time, I had an aversion to aliens and unshaven narcs. I've grown since then.

[via Digg]

misterblue

Since this list is missing 'Newhart', 'It's Your Move', 'Misfits of Science', 'Sledge Hammer!' and 'Police Squad!', it means nothing to me...

I also feel that Moonlighting, Greatest American Hero, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, and Remington Steele are WAY under-appreciated...

January 27 2007 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

No Amen
No Facts of Life
No Falcon Crest
No A Different World
No Hunter
No Late Night with David Letterman

What kind of list of this? The Cosby Show should have been #1 anyway.

January 27 2007 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

If you read their post, it's written tongue-in-cheek. They're well aware the list isn't definitive. :)

January 26 2007 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

No 'St. Elsewhere'? Am I misreading this list or something?

January 26 2007 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Why can't they just say "their 20 FAVORITE shows of the 80s?" Because how can you have a "greatest" list without "Hill Street Blues"?

January 26 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael C

*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL*MANIMAL and Greatest AMERICAN Hero!!!!

January 26 2007 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Henry and Matt need to step away from the bong.

Mr. Belvedere & The Dukes of Hazzard?!?! If you're currently 10 I can understand liking these shows. Once you hit adulthood though the only way you could rank them that high on the list is drugs.

I grew up with the Brady Bunch, and while the occasional viewing may take me back in time (and that in itself is somewhat enjoyable) I am under no delusion that it was a "great" show.

January 26 2007 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

david - easy answer: music licensing. i wouldn't count on ever seeing the wonder years on dvd.

no moonlighting?? and how was that a chick show? bruce fucking willis, man!!!

January 26 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

WHy the hell is the Wonder Years not on DVD yet? There has to be a reason. IT was too popular of a show not to be when retarded 1 season failures are put out right away. Its a crime.

January 26 2007 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

That's definitely a guy's list. A chick's list would most likely include one of the following: *Remington Steele,* *Beauty and the Beast,* *Moonlighting,* or *Quantum Leap.*

January 26 2007 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply