December 20, 2014

Discovery Channel visits the year 2057 tonight

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 28th 2007 9:03AM

2057Tonight starting at 8:00pm, the Discovery Channel will look fifty years into the future with a three-part series called 2057. The series will mix speculation from leading scientists with dramatic storytelling to try and envision how our world will change over the next few decades. One of the questions, of course, is whether or not we'll have flying cars, and more importantly, will Martian hookers be both plentiful and affordable? Okay, the second one is my own personal preference, but I think it's worth looking into.

The first part of the series, "The Body" airs at 8:00pm and looks at modern technology and what it holds for human health and longevity in the future: things like robotic surgery and custom-built organs. At 9:00pm, "The City," the second part in the series, will look at advances in robotics, automobiles and surveillance systems. Finally, at 10:00pm, "The World" will examine how technology will help transfer more information even faster than before, and the possibilities of space travel for average folks like us.

You can watch clips from the series here.

Nick

I only caught the second and third shows, "The City" and "The World" I thought the technology shown in "The City" was, well, terrifying. I hope they're wrong: I don't want to live in a world where being surveilled by my government every second of every day is the norm. Michio Kaku said in a chat on Discovery that "Today, we know that Big Brother is not the problem". I disagree. Big Brother is exactly what this segment showed us, in all its totalitarian glory.

February 03 2007 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Petros

My goodness...I was watching the show yesterday and I couldn't get off the TV. It is unbelievably amazing.
The great thing about the show is that it is based on the current technology and how they will use this technology to its perfection. What can I say? It blew my mind. Great to watch but for some people it may be hard to follow it because it uses scientific terms and it builds upon them. Best show I have ever watched.

January 30 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

This show lost any credibility for me when they hyped Moller and his Skycar as anything other than a con.

January 30 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

You can even get ninja bots now. Uber cool.

January 30 2007 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Wow! The Future blows my mind.. I'm so excited i can't wait. I like Humanoid Autonomes.

January 30 2007 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

I was only able to see portions of "The Body" and "The City", (I got kicked off the tv by my dad) but I thought they were great!! As a recent Physics grad I found the 2nd segment especially intersting. Didn't know they've come up with solar cells that can absorb all the wavelengths from the Sun... I loved the idea of the interactive holograms as well. Cheers to my grandkids being able to use Holodecks just like on Star Trek!!
My first time on this site so if anyone can tell me where I might be able to get info on when next they'll be showing this again that would be great.

January 29 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I think the show looks interesting and extremely sci-fi like. 50 years ago we were going to have moon cities and Mars bases by now. My grandfather remembers a time when cars would go away completely and we would all use helicopters. Flying games will not happen within the next 100 years, there is no need for them and one major problem. People can't drive on 2D, nevermind 3D, just think of drinking and driving with flying cars.

January 28 2007 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply