July 30, 2014

Ellen promises not to suck on Oscar night

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 28th 2007 2:40PM

EllenI thought Jon Stewart did a fine job as Oscar host, but I can understand them wanting to go with a more "traditional" choice. And with Ellen, I think the mainstream people get someone who they can enjoy (her daytime talk show is a hit) and the people who want their humor a little more wiseass will get their way too (people forget Ellen can be quite clever).

In this interview with TV Guide, DeGeneres promises not to suck, and also says that she's not going to copy what people in the past have done. Meaning, she's not going to put on the dance shows and dance a la Billy Crystal. She does say that it's going to be a little more fun and casual than most years.

And her favorite Oscars host was Johnny Carson, so that's a good sign.

Related:
NPR wants you to write an Oscar speech
Ellen DeGeneres stand-up special on Comedy Central in February

Janet Rosen

The Oscar show was SO LONG!!!!!! 3-1/2 hours. So much nonsense in-between. I should have just taped the last half hour. And Ellen was horrid!! Dancing is annoying and clothes were manly (well..) Please next year get John Stewart back again. Ellen was he worst..

February 26 2007 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet Rosen

February 26 2007 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

I think Ellen will do fine. I mean she promises not to suck so that's a good start, but I agree the dancing thing is getting old so let's hope she doesn't dance tomorrow.

February 24 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmyrudeboy007

Ellen is great, the oscars suck. Every year the red carpet glamour gets more substantial, the movies etc nominated are all mainstream, boring, moneymakers. OK some are good, but there are plenty of others that deserve nominations.

With Ellen hosting, I will be more likely to watch.

February 02 2007 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CONNIE

OMG ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS...........
Ellen is awsome, she is funny , and she is not a suck up to celebrities, by far..If anything , she is so down to earth with them, and I feel they feel the same with her. I Love Ellen, I watch her show all the time I usually tvo it.. to watch it.. I laugh everytime I watch her. she enlightens my day, she's funny and very very down to earth...
ELLEN IF YOU READ THIS....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND GOOD LUCK AT THE OSCARS.......YOU WILL BE WONDERFUL..CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH IT....

February 02 2007 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beverly lumley

Ellen is such a down to earth person, I would invite her to my home any day to sit at my dinner table for a meal. Do your thing girl!

February 02 2007 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

I would love to see a seasoned Hollywood veteran host the Academy Awards, but what I definitely don't want to see, under any circumstances, is some opportunistic vulture using the Academy Awards to espouse their political views (ala Michael Moore on the Iraq War during the 75th Academy Awards). It is not the time or place, and certainly not why we watch. I wish the people in Hollywood would stick to what they are good at and not suffer the rest of us to endure their radical views, or in some cases ignorance and stupidity, along with their performance. It shatters the illusion that there is anything special about them. There isn't any doubt in my mind that Michael Moore long deserved his award, but his inappropriate comments during the ceremony made it difficult to reconcile that. Same thing with other directors and actors, in a lot of cases their direction and performances are sheer genius and the Academy Awards is where we, the audience, have the chance to appreciate that. Why is it necessary for them to presume that their particular genius extends to the area of political science or religion as well? Many of them have never even graduated high school, much less take poli/sci or religion in college, so what makes them authorities on those subjects? The Hollywood Industry should leave politics and religion to the politicians and theologians. Also, I think Sean Penn is one of the greatest actors of a generation, but if he doesn't stop taking himself and everything else so damn seriously, he is going to blow a damn gasket. It is obnoxious and he is going to give himself a stroke. Sean please stop! Find something in life to make you happy and smile. Its too bad you don't find enough joy in Robin Wright and your kids to stop you from being so miserable, but since they don't, get a lap dance or something. Please!

February 02 2007 at 5:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

Ellen is cool with me, but I would really love to one of the Hollywood old timers host the Academy Awards. Perhaps one of the winners of the Honorary Academy Award like Sidney Poitier, Peter O'Toole, Sidney Lumet, or Blake Edwards. Maybe one of the winners of the Irving Thalberg Award like George Lucas, Warren Beatty, Clint Eastwood, or Stephen Spielberg. I would love to hear the remarks of a seasoned Hollywood veteran during the show because I find that people with a few notches on their belts are usually very entertaining and inadvertently funny. Its too late now, he died last year, but Jack Palance would have made a really fantastic host or even a team of Billy Crystal and Jack Palance.

February 02 2007 at 5:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheryl

I can't think of anyone better this year than Ellen to host the Oscars. She is genuine, funny, has a good heart and I'm sure she will make me smile the whole evening just as I do during her show everyday. U Rock, Ellen!!

February 02 2007 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ayo

Hey Robert I feel sorry, Mitch just seriously cursed you, I really hope burning in hell wont be a step up 4 you. You are messing with the wrong person, not Ellen Son, you are about to get JUMPED, son, be warned. Ellen is really great, you shoud listen to her speak. She is in the top 2 in her field, no one can mess with her. Look at her as a person, not black, white, gay, or straight. 4 the record I am black, I say this cos, I am pretty sure all the people who mentioned Oprah's Great name R black, which does not make sense (apples & oranges) Oprah's the best @what she does, 2nd 2 none. Ellen's Great, period. Close your eyes listen to her speak, I guarantee you with your eyes closed you'd see her smile like the sun, Son, And you wont have 2 get Jumped.

February 02 2007 at 4:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply