July 24, 2014

Britney Spears in Doctor Who?

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 29th 2007 8:02PM
Britney SpearsBefore I begin, let me just say that I'm writing about this item with a huge lump of salt next to me. Given the source and the nature of the story, it's the only way for me to take it. But as a conversation-starter, it's priceless:

Contact Music -- who hasn't exactly been a great source in the past -- is reporting that the producers of Doctor Who want to move the show to Hollywood for one episode, just to have Britney Spears play a guest role in it. The role will be a "sex-mad" alien clone; I think a "baby-mad" trailer drone would be a better fit, but that's just me. Anyway, executive producer Russell T. Davies is a huge fan of the pop tart and would love to somehow include her in the show. "I'm not sure she'll come to Cardiff where the show is shot so I'm nagging the BBC to fund a Hollywood special," Davies tells the site.

It seems more like a case of wishful thinking out loud to me, but sometimes even wishful thinking comes true. Otherwise, we would have never seen George Clooney play a gay dog or Alec Baldwin play a network executive. An appearance on a classy production like Doctor Who might go a long way to help rehab her currently awful image. Well, that and some panties.

John

Placing britney spears in doctor who is like putting a guy from germany in a news coverage about peanuts. theres no place for an american in a english show...

February 06 2007 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhantomProphet

Unless they travel back in time to when she was hot, I'm not interested.

January 30 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Wow, this is strangely similar to the old rumors that the members of NSYNC were going to appear in a cameo in the last Star Wars movie. Remember that?

January 30 2007 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hone Money

Yeah like this is ever going to happen. As much chance as K Fed having a successful rap career.

January 30 2007 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

I don't believe it either. But! If RTD ever manages to do something like this, I will quit trying to defend him from old-school Whovians. A Britney cameo will trump all overuse of the sonic screwdriver.

January 29 2007 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

When I read a tiny blurb about this a few days ago, my first reaction was something like, "Dear God, no, please don't let it be!" After letting it sit for a while I think it could be fun, especially if the story had Britney's character essentially spoofing her current reputation. Maybe the spaceship she flies in would look vaguely like a double-wide or a beer can. I say, "what the hell", it might turn out to be great fun.

January 29 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Yeah bro. But at least Billie is sexy/cute and BBspears is just whitetrash dog dukie on a set of thunder-thighs!

January 29 2007 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caitlin

The key difference between Billie and Britney, of course, is that Billie turned out to be quite a good actress. When Britney tried out the whole acting thing, however, we ended up with Crossroads.

January 29 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

Keep in mind one of her songs was in the second episode of the first "new" season. It was the first time I'd ever heard it, and it sounded good. I wouldn't be opposed to this (like my opinion matters) but I would hope it wouldn't be a sex-mad clone, but something else.

Also, wasn't Billie Piper's pop career similar to Britney's?

January 29 2007 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply