November 28, 2014

Rumor: T.R. Knight May Leave Grey's Anatomy

by Kelly Woo, posted Jan 29th 2007 5:45PM

Grey's Anatomy on ABCWill Grey's Anatomy soon be George-less? MSNBC.com's The Scoop reports that a source says T.R. Knight is upset by how the network/show handled the aftermath of co-star Isaiah Washington's uses of a homophobic slur.

According to the source, Knight was asked to keep quiet about the initial incident, which happened on set. But then, Washington caused a furor by using the word again at the Golden Globes while trying to deny he'd ever used it in the first place.

Only after the Golden Globes backlash did ABC or Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes issue apologies. Washington has since gone into counseling. But according to The Scoop, it's not enough for Knight, who feels the show's atmosphere is "toxic and unhealthy."

It'd be a shame to see Knight driven out of the show, when he didn't do anything wrong. Plus, George O'Malley is an integral character; I really can't imagine Grey's Anatomy without him. Washington has already gotten a second chance and blew it. He should be fired.

Do you agree? Should Washington be canned?

Read about the latest developments in this story

Amelia

OK, here's how i see it: Everyone has the right to feel safe and comfortable in their work environment and if TR Knight doesn't, well then he certainly has the right to leave.

And in 2007, tossing around terms such as "faggot" at any work-related function is 100 percent inappropriate. Isiah Washington definitely crossed a line.

That being said, this whole situation is out of control. The reality of it is that Washington and Knight don't have to like each other, they don't have to hang out or respect one another. They simply have to show up and do their jobs. WE as viewer all want to believe that the actors we see every week have the same connections they create on screen, but they don't. And as much as I'd love to believe Patrick Dempsey and Derek Sheperd are one in the same, McDreamy is just a character Dempsey plays.

We don't have to agree with the personal lives and views of artists to appreciate their craft. Do I agree with Washington's use of that word? No way. But Dr. Preston Burke is part of what makes Seattle Grace a place I want to visit every Thursday night.

And ultimately, if Knight laeves, the only person he really hurts is himself, because the show can and will go on without him. And with hollywood being the way it is, despite his talent, Knight will be hard pressed to find work comprable to what he has now.

March 03 2007 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I hope that T.R. Knight doesn't leave. Out of all the Dr.s he is the only one that has morals. What is really bad is that if someone was to have said something to the fact that there are too many African Americans,(blacks whatever is correct today) as high up surgions especially in the State of WA where the majority is white unless you are on a military instilation that would nevr fly. Mr. Washington does not need to be in a shrinks office he should be pounding the pavement looking for his new gig. If he is a bigot for any one group he's a bigot for every group except the one he belongs to. I'm so sick and tired of anti this anti that, we can't even watch a good show on T.V. because there always has to be a baby in the bunch when they are off duty. Then to top it off, on a day that everone of the cast and show should be celebrating he has to bring it up again. Mr. Knight don't give them the satisfaction you are the gentleman here and you have fans in this household. I'm glad George married Cali, I think they are good together.

February 17 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack W. Hopkins

David Carusso? It only took him 15 years to get another good gig...

February 09 2007 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yaron

There is something about this whole public outcry that I don't get.

Being mad at Washington for calling Knight a F* originally, that's perfectly fine, totally justified, and Washington should have been reprimanded, even fired if he kept at it. But when this was published, almost nobody seems really upset. Nothing close to the noise level after the Golden Globe.
Being mad at him for lying on the Golden Globe by saying that it didn't happen, when it actually did, is also fine. Though I'm not sure actors are really expected to be 100% honest in their public statements. But this doesn't seem to be the reason people are angry at him either.

From what I read most of the anger is over him calling Knight a F* "again" on the Golden Globes and opening the issue. But that is completely not true. As far as I recall he said something like "I did not call T. R. Knight a F*, never happened, never happened".
And I can't see how is that any different from, say, any of the dozens of news reports then reporting that Washington said "F*" on the Golden Globes. Those news reports may be many things, but they're not using the F* word against Knight. This is just referring to a past event, by talking about what happened, or didn't happen. It's not using it again. If I say "Washington called Knight a F*" I am not calling Knight a F* myself. So when Washington says "I did not call Knight a F*", he is not calling him a F* again. He is a liar, sure, but he is not using a slur against Knight or exhibiting homophobia.

Am I seeing this wrong?

January 31 2007 at 6:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula

I personally agree that Washington should be fired. Not for the negative words he spilled out behind the scenes (he should have been charged a monetary fee for creating a negative enviroment during the taping) but for grabbing the microphone on the Golden Globe awards making it even more uncomfortable for Knight and embarrassing the other cast memebers is what he should be fired for. I am sure if it were the other way around and one of the cast members called Washington a racial name, they would been fired because there is a zero tolerance for racial remarks. I feel that this is no different than making a racial remark. To each their own. We are who we are and no one has the right to make such insulting remarks just because someone is different than them. And please, rehab for what, maybe for his anger management but this is just an escape for what he has done. No forgiveness, FIRE WASHINGTON! I will be upset if Knight leaves, I love George, he is an asset to Grey's Anatomy, and if he leaves now, what will that say to people who feel it's okay to diss someone for their beliefs or the way they choose to live. Don't run Knight, you are not wrong but if you lieave you will be!

January 30 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MustImpeachGWB

I hope Washington leaves, because I really just can't stand his character (Burke). Wonder if they'll kill him off this season?

January 30 2007 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cocoma

I am an African American woman and am disgusted by Isisah using the F word. he blogger above is absolutely right. If it was the N word, someone would have to be fired immediately so that ABC would save face.
I am more concerned at this point about the negative light it shows on such an exemplary show. If all of this is correct (and i'm not saying it's not), then ABC and Shonda Rhimes need to consider that in in any other workplace ltigitation could ensue because of a "hostile work environment" and takr definitive steps to make sure something like this can't happen again.
Personally, although I Love Issiah Washington as an actor, I really dislike the private side that I'm learning about him. It seems that when it comes to actig, he thinks that he is superior because he went to Julliard. I think that he feels that he's been trained by the best so he is the best. F--- everything else, he's the most talented and everyone must just fall into place. He needs to realize that there is no "I" in team and it would be nothing for his character to go for physical therapy in an exclusive clinic in NY and come back with a new attitude and a new face.

January 30 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liza Apper

Both Washington and Knight are fine actors and portray their characters on "Grey's Anatomy" well. I don't believe Washington should be fired, nor should Knight quit. I DO think that Washington should have been severly reprimanded and a public statement denouncing his actions made about it by Rhimes. The fact is that the public perception now is that Washington's bigoted remarks were taken lightly by ABC and "Grey's Anatomy." Onlly Katherine Heigl addressed Washington's behavior in a serious way.

I am a mother of a gay daughter and a "leftist" politicaly and I can tell you that in our house both the "N" and "F" words are NEVER tolerated. My family would NEVER think of saying either word and guests in our home are on notice that such talk calls for an immediate apology or they are shown the door. As Maya Angelou has said-'such talk invites a spirit into your home (i.e. workplace) that you don't want' and that those engaged in such spiritually sick behavior that demeans another human being ought to "cease and desist" or relieve us of their company.

I deeply believe that people CAN change (see "American History X")their bigoted and racist behavior. So I say give washington a chance to grow as a human being and make amends. This is a chance for Washington to become a better person. The mirror has been held up to him, it is now up to him to change waht he has seen.

Liza *****

PS And YES comparisons are fair,even though I DON'T believe Washington should be fired, let's be honest, IF Knight had used the "N" word HE would have been fired. IMMEDIATELY!

January 30 2007 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

1) Gordy, that's purely your opinion. If you're a member of an "oppressed" group, it's natural to think that no other oppressed groups are as oppressed as yours. Each person, white/black/gay/straight, gets to decide whether the "plight" of one group is worse than another.

2) This story is done. It should never have been such a big deal anyway, except that the public is bored and journalists are even more bored. Yes, Washington shouldn't have said what he did. He shouldn't have misguidedly tried to "fix" it at the Golden Globes. Ultimately, this is a personal matter between Washington and Knight, and to some degree Dempsey, maybe all of the GA cast and crew. But it's none of our business.

January 30 2007 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

The last time I checked, the plight of gays did not mirror the plight of Blacks, so, please stop with the "N word"/"F word" comparisons. Maybe you all don't get it--all the more reason not to do it.

If this guy wants to leave, let him go. I'm sure he's got a few offers now. His agent has probably been busy. By the way, THAT'S ONE OF THE DIFFERENCES!

January 30 2007 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply