October 20, 2014

Will Bill Gates meet John Hodgman tonight?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 29th 2007 7:41PM

HodgmanBill Gates is the guest on The Daily Show tonight. John Hodgman, aka "the PC guy" in those Apple commercials, is a correspondent for the show. Will the two meet?

It's hard to say. Maybe as a visual, but I wonder if Apple would allow Hodgman to actually be on the show when Gates is there and interact with him in a way that would spoof the commercials? Not that it wouldn't be great advertising for Apple, but they probably want to control these things a bit more. This appearance is just a commercial for the new Windows Vista, so maybe they don't want any competition from Apple, even if it is "implied."

Besides, would Gates even find it funny? Even though Hodgman is "the PC guy," the ads are still ads that say Macs are better. I'll be watching though, just in case something does happen.

[via TV Tattle]

RSL

My bad. I must have missed this story YESTERDAY. I thought it was today's. :(

January 30 2007 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

@Noel Murray, You got it wrong. Hodgman makes it quite clear: MEANWHILE, I might note that, as of this writing, on MONDAY MORNING, I am scheduled to be on television TOMORROW, TUESDAY NIGHT, and not today.

Oh, PLEASE, mother and father and granny of god! Let PC meet his maker! Hehehehehehehehehehe [Sorry.]

January 30 2007 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

This is the second post today on these ads, and I restrained myself from answering the first one. I'd like to see Gates politely say that they're cute ads, but they're incredibly misleading and untrue.

(ducks out before PC v Mac flame war begins)

January 29 2007 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noel Murray

According to Hodgman:

He will not be on tonight.

January 29 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I don't know, if Apple hasn't forbidden it, I wouldn't be surprised if they would set something like this up.

Kind of a Papa Bear meets O'Reilly sort of thing.

January 29 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Didn't Microsoft buy Apple a few year back? Does it really matter?

January 29 2007 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

A fistfight between the two of them would be interesting.

January 29 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply