July 23, 2014

Supernova burns out

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 30th 2007 5:21PM
rock star supernovaThe New York Post has a great Op/Ed about why the band Rock Star: Supernova sucks. If you'll remember, Lukas Rossi won the competition last summer and the right to be the lead singer of a band full of crusty or virtually unknown rock stars. According to the Post, the band's tour is far from being sold out. In fact, 11th row seating is still available for tomorrow night's show at Radio City. Good seats are also available at upcoming concert locations. And, the band's album didn't even break the Billboard Top 100. This is in stark contrast to season one, where INXS got a new lead singer and sold out its concert tour.

Why doesn't anybody care about these Supernova guys? NYP says it's the name (already used by a punk band), the '80s hair band music, the lack of superstars in the group, and a dirty, dirty old man named Tommy Lee.

Why do you think no one is interested in this band?

[Via Pop Candy]

Preston

I think that some people are not interested in the Supernova band because they came from a reality show. That doesn't translate well to a live setting. They like real, not fake when it comes to the rock end. Tommy Lee is still well received with Motley Crue, but the other two have lost their luster after being dropped out of two big name bands. I heard the new lead singer sing on Live With Regis and Kelly, but he only brought Tommy Lee. I expected the whole band there, but Regis is all into softer, lounge music (a la Dean Martin) and not the full blown sound of a live rock band. He's okay, but he just doesn't grab me infectiously as a lead singer.

February 16 2007 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

The original Supernova songs we saw on the show were cheesy and redundant hair metal. I got hooked on the show mostly because of Storm Large - her fabulous alto and her utterly fearless stage presence. Dilana had her moments, too, but by the end the cracks were starting to show. Lucas, Toby, Magni - I didn't dislike any of them, although Lucas was my least favorite of the top five (Jason Newstead's advice to him about opening up his vowels was dead on, and it helped), but none of them stood out to me. I might have bought tickets to this show when Storm and the Houseband (they were a damn tight band) were still on the bill, but once they were dumped from the bill - and dumped in such a crass way, or so it appeared - I just said no to these losers.

February 01 2007 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LWR2888

Apparently everyone was looking for a bunch of Metallica, Crue and Bums and Bozos covers. Tommy Lee may be a total reality star but the man is one of the finest musicians to come out in the last 3 decades. Hell he can play a half dozen instruments and there are very few that can do what he can with a set of skins.

January 31 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo

The reason why nobody cares is that they picked the worst singer available. They let a lot of good talent go by the wayside to choose the bastard child of Sgt. Pepper and a skunk. What's worse is that the skunk was a better singer!

January 31 2007 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Thomas

I'm actually going on Saturday to the Chicago show which sold out fairly quickly. We're going out of the whole oddity of it. Interesting to see the other finalists sing I think. I'll report back.

January 31 2007 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

>>Jason Newsted? Real Metallica fans hate him because he was essentially a scab after they made their best albums.

Uh, no. Real Metallica fans know that he was treat like shit in Metallica & the reason he left was cos he wasn't allowed to have a few side projects.

Rock Star Supernova the programme was painful to watch because none of those rockstars had any right to talk the way they did to the people because they're all has-beens.

I think the one that pissed me off the most was Dave Navarro though, sat in his throne like he meant something. The smugness of those arseholes wound me up & the fact they chose that little idiot who butchered every song he sang instead of the woman who could actually sing was proof for me that it was a load of bollocks

January 31 2007 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Orangecrush

I'll with Chris. INXS was successful because they have a back catalog that fans can identify with. Supernova's had nothing nostalgic attached to them, and the original songs they played were average. Suprisingly, they were better than the new INXS songs that were played on the show, but it was still INXS.

And Lucas. Don't get me wrong. He was the best choice of the bunch but there is nothing sexy about him. Glam Rock Emo Smurf would be the best descripter.

If Van Halen is the next band, I think it will be a complete commercial failure. You think Van Halen, you think of specific people - Eddie Van Halen first, for obvious reasons, and then David Lee Roth, who is still alive. To replace any individual member of a band that has such name attachment to it will be the equivaliant of replacing Jim Morrison for the Doors or Freddy Mercury for Queen - it's just not going to work. INXS worked because there wasn't strong individual name recognition to the band. People knew the lead singer and that he killed himself, but his name wasn't iconic. To replace him was doable because it was the band as a whole, not the lead singer.

January 31 2007 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

Tommy Lee, Gilby Clark, and Jason Newstead are unknowns in a world obsessed with pop culuture. Metallica, Motley Crue, and GnR aren't big name bands anymore. Remember, those bands are at least 20 years old. Metallica and Crue are closing in on 30 years. They aren't relevant to 2007 Poop culture.

I didn't watch the show. I'm a huge Metallica fan and I like Jason. Love GnR. Disapointed it's not working for them.

January 30 2007 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

While I agree that Supernova sucks, on what frigging planet is Tommy Lee or Jason Newsted unknown? Hell, even Gilby is ridiculously famous.

January 30 2007 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

Rumours are, they are coming back for a 3rd season to find a lead singer for Van Halen.

That would be awesome!