August 22, 2014

The Police to reunite on Grammys telecast

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 30th 2007 2:29PM

The PoliceOne of the big regrets of my life was not seeing The Police in concert when they were together in the late 70s and early 80s. They're one of my favorite bands, and I don't really know why I never made an effort to see them live. I saw Sting live once and it was great, but it wasn't the same.

I might be able to get another chance. There are rumors swirling that the band is going to get together again this summer for a 30th anniversary tour, but before that happens they'll open the Grammy Awards on ABC on February 11. It's official now. Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland will open the show. There are also rumors that they are rehearsing in Vancouver for that world tour, though nothing has been said beyond the Grammys gig.

Now...what song should they play to open the telecast?

BillS

Best part about this? They open the show, so you don't have to actually watch the Grammys.

And I'd love to hear them do something completely random like "On Any Other Day" or maybe do "Mother" and get booed off the stage.

January 31 2007 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin Conaghan

'Every Breath You Take' is quite possibly the greatest song ever written, but probably not the best place to start.

And while 'Walking on the Moon' has the best bass line in history, I don't think it would get the crowd going. 'Spirits in the Material World' might work.

'Sychronicity I' would be a good start, given the significance of the reunion and the lyrics, but 'Sychronicity II' has such a great intro, excellent guitar riffs and some mind-blowing drumming.

And how about that lyric: "We have to shout above the din of our Rice Crispies, we can't hear anything at all."

Either way, I really hope they tour.

January 31 2007 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmytheface

I think it should be "I Can't Stand Losing". One of their best unheralded songs.

January 30 2007 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I agree that "Every Little Thing" is the best choice. "Synchronicity" would be good too. Actually, anything but "Roxanne" would be OK with me.

January 30 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matriculated

/nods at gd

I wonder how long a tour would last without them strangling each other?

January 30 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gd

it's obvious - "Don't Stand So Close To Me"

I had the privilege of seeing them on their final tour. With the Thompson Twins and The Fixx opening at the Tacoma Dome. What an amazing show they did. A 2+ hour set of pure Police.

It was devastating to me when they broke up. And now with Sting and his f***ing Lute!!! You know Andy and Stewart sit at their homes just shaking their heads wondering who took Sting's stones.

January 30 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamaloo

It's been official for a while: they've been booked to play in England for at least a month now.

January 30 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

It should be fun and upbeat and kickass and unquestionably a Police-like song... let them do "Every Breath You Take" or "Roxanne" later, but open with "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" so the entire room can sing along.

January 30 2007 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I had the great pleasure of seeing them 4 times during high school/college and next to REM, my favorite band of all time! ANY song would be fine by me but I'm thinking "Message in a Bottle"....Oh so exciting!!

January 30 2007 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply