July 31, 2014

The Showbiz Show returns in March

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 30th 2007 1:53PM

david spadeSnarky McSarcasm, or as we call him, David Spade, is returning with a third season of The Showbiz Show Thursday, March 15 at 10:30pm.

I have to ask you, TV Squad readers, does anyone still watch this show? I watched the first couple episodes and caught a few of the later ones, but ultimately I just can't bring myself to watch another show that pokes fun at celebrity excess. We've become so saturated with celebrity news and gossip that I can't stand to hear about it, even if the point of the show is to make fun of our obsession with it.

Also, it's difficult for me to get past the feeling that Spade doesn't seem that into what he's doing. When he did his "Hollywood Minute" segment on Saturday Night Live, that detachment worked to his benefit. His comical disdain for all things Hollywood is what made that segment so funny, but now that "comical disdain" seems to have grown into genuine bitterness. When I watch him now, I always feel like he wants to be somewhere else, and, consequently, so do I.

Alex

I for one, love this show. It makes me laugh when most other shows do not. Its cameos are hilarious. That is including Swardson. He is one of the funniest up and coming comedians in the business today. With movies like benchwarmers, click, Grandmas Boy, Blades of Glory, and Reno 911, he is great as opposed to what FlagPatrick said.(How does he even resemble Dane Cook, even after a week of donuts) Then Adam Finley ( the man who wrote the article) said "We've become so saturated with celebrity news and gossip that I can't stand to hear about it". Isnt that what this site is. It tells us about gossip or news (same shit) about the tv and holloywood world. Adam, hypocrites aren't cool. All in all, this show is diamond in the rubble of bad shows. I cant stand another minute watching horrible shows like that Sarah Silverman Show or 'Til Death or anything on VH1. This is a great show as long as you have a sense of humor.(Which apparently FlagPatrick and Adam lack)

February 09 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

I digg the show, and I'm glad to see it back. Of course, I want to be David Spade...

January 30 2007 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

This show is awesome.

January 30 2007 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

The first few episodes of Showbiz show were hilarious! But towards the second season when Benchwarmers came out it started getting less funny and more bitter. Plus he kept having guys like Adam Sandler and Jon Heder stop by for pointless cameos. Oh and that gay guy played by Nick Swardson is fucking annoying. I hate that Nick Swardson guy, the most untalented squeaky voiced piece of shit ever. He looks like Dane Cook after a week of eating Dunkin Donuts!

January 30 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moe

Yeah, I'm actually excited for this as well. I think Showbiz Show has some great moments and I have yet to tire of Spade's style.

I agree with Colby, it can be sporadic sometimes, but overall, good stuff.

Go Spudley!

January 30 2007 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

YES! Thank gawd ...was worried with Spade's new sitcom that he was done with the "Showbiz Show". I, for one, watch this show religiously. Why? Because with all of the shows trying bash Hollywood -- "Best Week Ever" (weak) and "The Soup" (hysterical) -- none can match Spade's wit.

The show is kind of hit or miss (the misses coming from the segments featuring less of Dave and more of the "cast"), but when it hits, it's hysterical. Just cruise on over to Comedy Central's Web site to catch some videos. The "There, I said it" rants feature some of the best zingers thrown at Hollywood.

To Adam's point above, I think Spade seems far from disintersted when doing the show. Bitter? Doubtful. Disdain? You'd better believe it.

January 30 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply