September 18, 2014

Boston hoax bombs have an Aqua Teen Hunger Force connection

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 31st 2007 4:51PM

Well, this is bizarre. If you've been watching Boston news all day today (and the cable networks), you've heard about the hoax bombs that have been planted around the city. Now WBZ Channel 4 in the city is reporting that the devices have a connection to Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Take a look at one of the devices in the pic at right. Looks like one of the mooninites from the show. Turner has just released a statement apologizing, that it was a marketing campaign. It was a campaign with magnetic electronic lights for Adult Swim and the show! The devices have been up for a few weeks but people didn't notice them until today (or at least they didn't report them as being something serious).

I did notice that ATHF has an episode at midnight tonight, and the movie opens on March 23. Wow. This is going to bring viral marketing to the mainstream, eh?

Cher Smart

I live in CA and my sister called me from N.Y. because her 5:00 News on Channel 4 had interviewed the two "Boston bombers." The one with the dredlocks had only one comment when asked how he felt," Great, I am having a good hair day," he replied. So,why didn't I see this on my regular news channel. I need to contact LENO! Because this whole thing was so stupid. Must have been a slow news day.

February 02 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John E

Will someone please tell me how this was a "hoax". There was no intent to fool people. People where just amazingly stupid.

February 02 2007 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heroine

They are retarded. Since when do bomb makers try to advertise there bombs? I mean come on LEDS ya why not just hang a 20' by 20' bilboard with an arrow with a sign saying bomb here. Bombs dont have leds. Bombs dont beep. Bombs are quiet. They dont have exposed wires. They are ment to look to like everyday items. In real life if i saw a box with leds and was beeping at me i would take it apart and walk away with some new leds.

February 02 2007 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I bet the people at Aqua Teen were laughing their asses off when they saw this.

February 02 2007 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
is this name taken?

I think the real shame here is that these two guys have become the scapegoats for a city's overzealous police department and local media purveyors. At the same time, though, Cartoon Network should have informed local officials of the marketing campaign. There were failures on both sides, but seriously, to bring up charges on these guys? The only charges that I can think of is that maybe they were advertising in places they didn't have permission.

But hey, then I probably wouldn't know that the ATHF movie opens on March 23.

But hey, then I probably wouldn't know that ATHF movie opens on March 23.

February 01 2007 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AD

I think there were two mistakes made here:
First, Turner really should have thought this through. Maybe your average 20-something would recognize a Mooninite (whatever that is...and no, I'm not "old"...I'm a 30-something)...but the things weren't hung up where 20-somethings are. They were placed where anyone can see them, and someone without a clue as to what they are could easily have become suspicious.
That said,after the first case, and Boston authorities knew the things were harmless, the fear-based media blitz should have stopped and the overreaction of the police should have stopped as well.
It's a shame that people are still this afraid 5 1/2 years after September 11. But they are, and I think it's going to take a while for people to completely calm down, even if some people think everyone should "just chill." It's a sad state we're in. Turner and the Boston authorities should have handled themselves better.

February 01 2007 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe M.

Look...we're to the point that we shut down bridges and virtually declare martial law in a major city because some guys put up a few Lite Brite boards with a cartoon character on them.

We're to the point that someone can go on a plane, hold up a tube of toothpaste, and say, "Ladies and gentleman...I've got a tube of Colgate and I'm not afraid to use it" and Homeland Security will tackle you and take you away to some secret location where you won't speak with a lawyer for at least three years.

This mentality is brought to you courtesy of the folks who brought you our oil war in Iraq. Benjamin Franklin was right on the money with what he said about people who are eager to trade essential liberty for temporary security.

February 01 2007 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rip

OVER reaction is an UNDER statement. Pretty soon I wont be able to put up a "rummage sale" sign. I bet Boston authorities feel like Idiots and now they just want revenge. No other city reacted this way and 3 bloody weeks late! You mean not a SINGLE cop saw these devices while driving for the last 3 weeks? Sheesh! But they sure find a way to catch speeders! ain'a?

February 01 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Red

Sarge,
You're an idiot. Sorry, you just are...
Only a complete moron (or in this case a lot of complete morons) would think this was a bomb. A bomb's primary object is to explode. in order to achieve it's object it needs to NOT BE FOUND before it can achieve it's primary object.
NOBODY would construct a bomb that calls attention to itself - nobody is that crazy or stupid.
If terrorists were planting bombs in a city, they would be in everyday objects, and they would be hidden as much as possible.
They blew it - the media, and the Boston officials - and now they're trying to blow it out of proportion keep calling it a bomb hoax and charge the guys who started the add campain in order to try (not very successfuly...) to not look like complete idiots.
Well they are, and so are you...

February 01 2007 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave C

So here's a question: What's to stop real terrorists from doing the same thing? Forget bombs, for 40 bucks I can get fistfulls of LEDs and battery casings from Radio Shack or Frys and bring major cities to their knees.

Seriously, stop and think a minute people. When you've gotten so terrified that "Battery+Wires=BOMB!" you're in serious trouble. You've given the power to cripple a city to anybody with more than 10 dollars to their name.

February 01 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply