April 20, 2014

Donny Osmond will shatter dreams for ABC

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 31st 2007 9:48AM
donnie osmondFile this one under Bad Ideas. Donny Osmond has agreed to host a new game show for ABC that is in very, very poor taste. It's called The Great American Dream Vote.

Miraculously, Donny Osmond is not the problem here. The problem is the game: There are 8 contestants who tell a studio audience (and Donny) about their lifelong dream. Then, they make their case as to why their dream should be fulfilled. They "square off" and plead their case while the studio audience votes. Eventually, the audience will whittle the contestants down to just one who gets to have their dream come true. Sounds great. I'm sure there's nothing quite as exciting as watching someone realize they will not attain their lifelong dream.

Does anyone else think this sounds downright mean?

Dee

To all that didn't like the show..........any of you ever play the lottery? A dollar and a dream. This show give people that opportunity to get that dream. By the way, you CAN vote online. It's fun to vote on someone's dream. Being bald and dreaming about here is what it's all about. There are places for dogs all over the place! They even have a TV network!

April 09 2007 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Hamel

The show may not have received the best rating, but its host, Donny Osmond is amazing. He has an incredible personality, talent, wit, spirit, and not to mention looks. I would watch anything he is on and can't wait to see the next show he hosts.

April 06 2007 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Hamel

The show may not have gotten the best ratings but the host, Donny Osmond, is great. He has a fantastic personality, wit, talent, and looks. I would watch anything he was on. I can't wait for the next show he hosts. His vocals are amazing too.

April 06 2007 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally Mitchell

My 'vote' is to cancel the Great American Dream (aka Selfish American Dream) Vote...it is an abomination! To compare the dreams of a self-centered bald man frustrated with his alleged lack of social life (oops, don't many men shave their heads now to be in fashion?), with the dreams of one who wants to help old, abandoned dogs is incomprehensible. To claim that the American public voted in favor of the selfish man who whined "the other contestants want something for others, I want something for MYSELF!" by a mere 30,000 votes is outlandish and unbelieveable. Shame on all who were involved in the production of this senseless, heartless and mindless program.

April 01 2007 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brykmantra

Yeah, we missed the first one, and we tuned out the second episode in disgust after they listed all the fat bald guy's prizes. I mean seriously, I could see giving him transplants, but that AND a trip to Vegas for him and his friends, AND $25,000 cash, AND a new sports car ... give me a frigging break. Forget the show's weak overall concept -- this guy (and the people who voted for him) killed the show. Any other winner and it might have survived a litle longer.

March 31 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kbassit

It's a sad day in America when you see a bald man's dreams of getting hair win a dream come true over someone coming out and hoping America will vote for a rescue for senior dogs. Yes, I am a dog lover and own 2 basset hounds of my own. They are both RESCUE bassets. These animals are older and not many folks want to rescue an older dog. Devon's dream was NOT for herself...but for these basset hounds to live out the rest of their lives in a place to call their own. Think about it ABC and America....What happened? I won't watch this show again. I don't support it's message since it's not the one I as an American and dog lover want to send out. Maybe there are folks out there that feel the same. I hope they voice their opinions as well. Karon Humphreys

March 31 2007 at 3:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy Huddleston

I can't believe a bald man which is only thinking of himself would win over the Senior Basset Retreat which would benefit a lot of older Bassets that can't be placed, shame on you. I will not watch this stupid program and neither will any of my friends.

March 30 2007 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Davis

I thought the show was great. I had been trying a very long time to get the attention of an NFL team, and FINALLY I had a chance to get a national audience and an opportunity to change my whole life. The show was cancelled, and now I may never know. This was the first platform in years where people could not be afraid to dream, no matter how big or how small. Sometimes we get so busy trying to survive life that we never get the chance to truly live it. I wish more folks would have supported the show and at least gave it a chance. Everyone has at least one thing that they may spend their whole life wondering if only something could have been different. This show could have helped answer that question.

March 30 2007 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Walker

I was so disappointed about the man whose dream was a head of hair who won over the dream of a home for Senior bassethounds. I thought I heard a boo from the audience when the bald guy won...Being a lover of dogs and helpless creatures whose lives are way too short and who spend them "giving", I find it hard to believe that the bald guy won. Selfless dreams are what Americans are all about when it comes to group concensus. I think it was rigged and will never watch it again. It is actually a stupid show and hard to see viable lifelong dreams pushed aside from some senseless need for "hair", not to mention all the other prizes he won. I could only think of dogfood, medical care, a van to carry the senior dogs for vet care, etc. Lousy...really lousy..

March 29 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I love Donny Osmond, and I will watch anything he is on. Love to hear him sing and he is gorgeous!

March 29 2007 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply