December 19, 2014

Men in Trees: Take It Like a Man

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 2nd 2007 7:14PM
men in trees(S01E15) It's men versus women this week in Elmo. I found it laughable that the two New York women (Marin & Jane) kept insisting that they were just like the men in Alaska. Their differences have nothing to do with gender, it has to do with where they're from and how they live their lives. It actually bothered me that these differences were portrayed as differences between men and women. And, Marin's problem with the "no strings attached" relationship is not a girl-only thing.

Grrrrrr.

Patrick's storyline was sweet with a nice little surprise ending that will no doubt lead us into the next few episodes. We learn that Patrick's sperm have low mobility but I wonder if that's still true since he donated his "rotten" sperm to a sperm bank quite a few years ago. Do those things change? I dunno. It's kind-of an odd way to introduce a bigger storyline, which is Buzz's son George's arrival in Elmo. Next week we learn that George is gay!

And Jack keeps getting distance from his relationship with Marin. This week he overcame the hurdle of not participating in the whole baby experience. We all know there are feelings there between Marin and Jack... am I the only one who thinks he's going down the wrong path here? There's not really any chemistry between James Tupper and Justine Bateman (maybe because they're not the ones having an affair).

I was very happy to see in the previews for next week that Jane is moving to Alaska! I like her character and her sporadic visits just aren't working. Plus, there's a lot more to be played out with her and Babyface Plow Guy.

By the way, if you liked the song "Love Me Again" on this episode, you can hear it here.

KB

"voice overs are every-damn-where nowadays ... it's not a remotely original or engaging technique anymore"

MIT is the only show I watch, so voice overs are new to me and still engaging.

February 14 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

courtney wrote:
"I really can't stand the idiotic voice over stuff any more - it is on too many shows on ABC"

Agreed.
I was okay with the Sex and The City voice overs as Carrie was writing a column but Marin is writing a book and has been shown procrastinating and missing her deadline. It doesn't seem that necessary for her to "voice over" every episode.
I think using the radio show is enough to showcase the issue du jour without having to fall back on the voice over trick. Not that every episode should have a core issue worth being a radio show topic either.

And yes, voice overs are every-damn-where nowadays (Men in Trees, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Veronica Mars, Criminal Minds,Everybody Hates Chris, Dexter - these last two are the only ones I appreciate and find necessary to each show) it's not a remotely original or engaging technique anymore.

February 05 2007 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

The Lynn/Jack thing isn't working for me either, but it's more an issue of bad writing than acting problems. The Lynn character is so one-dimensional if she turned sideways she'd disappear (pregnant belly and all!) The other storylines in the show are getting some real attention (Patrick/Annie keeps me coming back!) so why is this love triangle getting such lackluster work?

I can't wait to see what happens this week with Buzz's son. It should be interesting.

February 05 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

It's not "low mobility" -- it's low motility.

February 04 2007 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I'm still enjoying the show and happy to know that others feel the same way about Lynn (Justine Bateman) as I do. This week, thank God, she wasn't on as much as she has been in the past couple of weeks. I don't look forward to seeing Jack's heart "break" again, but I can't wait for her to be gone.
Plowguy is great! I'm glad that they are keeping he and Jane together.
Interesting new storylines coming up with George and Patrick both getting to know their dad.
The show has kind of slowed down but I still look forward to watching it.

February 03 2007 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

This show is really nothing much more than lightweight fluff. I don't feel chemistry between Marin and Jack - in part, I think, because Jack is kind of a boring, monotone speaking, dull fellow. Handsome, yeah I guess, but his demeanor is just so blah - even though the actors are supposedly having an affair in real life, the chemistry isn't there - for me.
I agree about the casting of Justine Bateman - can't imagine what they were thinking. She adds virtually nothing.
I think after last night's show I'll disregard the rest of the season unless I read something interesting about it. I really can't stand the idiotic voice over stuff any more - it is on too many shows on ABC - I'm not stupid - I don't need the point of the episode explained to me at the end of the episode. Especially when the point is sadly one dimensional and kind of juvenile.

February 03 2007 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

"am I the only one who thinks he's going down the wrong path here? There's not really any chemistry between James Tupper and Justine Bateman"

You are not alone. Justine Bateman has been a terrible casting error IMO.
Anyway I rationalize that storyline I always come to the same conclusion: I cannot care about Lynn because of the actress. She is awful in this role.
I hope she and her character leave soon because they add absolutely nothing to the show. At least not for me.

"We learn that Patrick's sperm have low mobility but I wonder if that's still true since he donated his "rotten" sperm to a sperm bank quite a few years ago. Do those things change? I dunno."

I dunno either but it reminds me of Friends and Monica being an unhospitable host for an embryo.
He's not infertile it just may be much harder for him to get Annie pregnant. Then it's all a matter of do they just want to try naturally or consider other options while still trying the good old fashion way. From Annie's speech the scale tips toward the later which is a good thing imo.
Plus, given Patrick's multi-ethnic family I can see them pulling a Jolie.
Maybe he'll get their adoptive child to wear his "I'm BlAsian" tee shirt?

I love me some Plow Guy and Jane but what I really want to know is Ty Olsson's diet. Seriously.
Inquiring minds want to know.

February 02 2007 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply