September 2, 2014

Garfield is returning to TV

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 3rd 2007 4:06PM

GarfieldMark Evanier has a post about a brand new Garfield cartoon for television that he's writing, or rather, that he'll be writing sometime soon. Evanier was also a writer on the popular Garfield and Friends series that ran on CBS from 1988 to 1995. Paws, Inc. is producing and distributing the new series worldwide along with Dargaud Marina S.A. in Paris, France.

The new Garfield series will be computer animated, though Evanier does say it will not be the same CGI Garfield from the movies. Evanier is also voice directing for the series and says that Bill Murray will not be playing the hefty, lasagna-loving feline. There's also no word just yet on where the new series will air.

It's going to be almost impossible, I think, for any voice actor to live up to Garfield's original voice, Lorenzo Music. The first person who sprung to mind, though, was Maurice LaMarche. Of course, no one asked me. If they did ask, however, I'd also suggest they bring back the U.S. Acres segments from the first series.

Jeff

WTF, #6? Mark Evanier wrote almost every episode of the original Garfield and Friends, and he did a great job. When I first heard they were making a new Garfield series, I thought that unless they got Evanier they needn't bother.

February 04 2007 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Cohen

Computer animation strikes again. I guess that's to be expected, but is it cg animation that's meant to look like it's line-drawn (a la Futurama) or will it be a hybrid cg-environment like Toy Story? I kinda feel nostalgic for the 1990s cartoon now that I think of it.

February 04 2007 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I'm a HUGE Garfield fan, I have all the DVDs and everything.

The Garfield movies proves that they can't pull this off. The comic for the last 10 years also proves this. And all CGI means to me is that they can make it cheap. Just reuse the same CGI models over and over.

I'll stick to the old one and forget about the new one, just like I did with TMNT and it's new shows.

February 03 2007 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVSeriesFinale.com

Considering the quality of some animated shows these days and if they can reach the level of quality & inside jokes that the old series had, I'm looking forward to it.

February 03 2007 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

written by Mark Evanier = not good and cancelled quickly

February 03 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

Maurice LaMarche would be a good candidate. But then, I pretty much think that anytime a voice is needed for animation. The guy can do anything.

February 03 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Land

Wow, will people just let the fat cat die already? If you have to turn a comic strip into a series how about Pearls before Swine? Something with a bit of real humor.

February 03 2007 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmtdrt

It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognize a Garfield voiced by anyone other than Lorenzo Music.

February 03 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I used to wake up at 5:30am so I could watch Garfield and Friends on Saturday morning.

It seems that Maurice LaMarche can voice anything, but there was a certain lazy quality to Garfield's original voice that I wonder if he will be able to capture.

February 03 2007 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

So will this be funny? Cause God knows the strip shoulda died YEARS ago and the movies were abysmal.

You can only take I hate Monday's and I love lasagna jokes so far...

February 03 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply