September 19, 2014

Snickers: "After The Kiss"

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 4th 2007 7:12PM

Well, here's a commercials that the gay community won't be thrilled about.

Oh, hell, maybe they'll think it's funny too. Two mechanics working on a car both eat a Snickers bar that is in both of their mouths, like those two dogs in that Disney movie with the spaghetti, and end up kissing for a rather longer time than they probably should have. To prove their manliness they both pull their chest hairs out, which I think could also be seen as trying to turn each other on. Snickers satisfies you...in many different ways.

You can see what happens after the kiss at the web site, appropriately named afterthekiss.com. You can vote for the ending you want.

Dick Butkis

I thought the commercial was funny. But I don't see what all the hub-bub is about. Does eating a snickers bar forment homosexual activity? Probably no more than Blockbuster's 'mouse' commercial incites animal abuse; or alcohol induced assault, as seen with the Budweiser 'rock' commercial. For all the non-straight people in the world, get the kink out of your shorts and move on.

February 08 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane

Homophobia? I don't think so.... Not everyone thinks that it is ok for the same sex to kiss (or whatever)... Oh, I know those people that do are going to classify me as a "homophobe", I am not; I just don't believe it is right.... I also don't think Snickers should have aired such a commercial. You know the "gay community" surprisingly gets their panties all in a bunch over the littlest thing. If they are so happy with the chose that they made, then little stuff like this shouldn't offend them, and if it does maybe they should revaluate their chose.
Have a great day.

February 08 2007 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordy

wow. OK, I clearly stand corrected and it obviously can be misinterpretted....Darrin. Are you guys planning on removing his ridiculously hateful comment? still, i think it was pretty cool of Snickers to poke fun at machismo, and (as far as i know) put the first man-on-man kiss in a commercial that could have aired at all times of the day.

February 07 2007 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Brady

I'm a gay man (does that make me a "community"? Yay!) and I have to say I'm a bit conflicted about this one. The set-up is amusing, I must admit. The problem, Jordy, is that the underlying message could be taken to be that gay behavior is bad and something that must be avoided at all costs. Conversely, the ad could also be taken as a send-up of homophobia and the extreme things guys do to avoid being seen as gay. It's enough of a mixed message that I'm not particularly a fan, but then I don't eat Snickers anyway so it's no loss.

One way or another, it's betetr than the "Hungerectomy" or "Appetitotomy" slogans they've been using.

February 05 2007 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neil

The gay community has just recovered from "Brokeback Mountain" and gay cowboys ... Now they have to deal with gay mechanics

February 05 2007 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

That's gay...really.

February 05 2007 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordy

um...what? Yeah, the gay community hates it when two guys kiss. And the gay community, lacking any sort of intelligence, definitely hates jokes about excessive machismo. Such a sharp observer, Bob.

February 04 2007 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply