December 22, 2014

TV's Top 5!: Mother Nature watches the Super Bowl

by Elizabeth Chan, posted Feb 5th 2007 2:27PM

Prince bringing on the Purple Rain Is Prince God? Did he have a deal with Mother Nature or something? Does CBS have that much money to be able to be able to influence meteorology?

Obviously the only explanation of the situation is that Mother Nature loves Prince and watches The Super Bowl. She was hell bent on not making the Kevin Federline the top news of the Super Bowl, and wanted to provide her man Prince with some ethereal stage props.

How many of you were wondering if he would even play "Purple Rain?" How many of you even doubted it after he played his crazy rendition of the Foo Fighters' "Best of You?"

How many of you were still holding onto hope he would play "1999?" I was pretty pleased with his performance and less impressed with his random and particularly unattractive dancers.

But forgive me Mother Nature if you should strike me with lightning for actually liking...

...Kevin Federline's Nationwide Commercial.

I can't help but kind of like the grace in his humility. It was better than all those Coke commercials we have seen somewhere before. I mean is Coke that lazy? Couldn't they have incorporated a YouTube submission policy also?

Drew Barrymore on Saturday Night LiveOne thing you might have missed this weekend while you were preparing your guacamole for your Super Bowl bash is this hysterical clip of Drew Barrymore on Saturday Night Live doing her best 80's aerobic video vixen impersonation.

Now if that video doesn't say 'Let's party like its 1999' then I don't know what does.

Preston

Prince sounded great live on the Super Bowl halftime show! He is still at the top of his prime as a live performer! His band played superb, one of the best out there. He did some great covers as well as his own songs. The rain didn't faze him at all and the marching band balanced well with the live band.

February 07 2007 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

I was watching the SuperBowl with a friend that was trying to force me to switch the channel during Prince's performance. She thought I must be nuts to be a guy and like Prince but I told her he's a great performer with a lot of talent and that he might surprise her. When he broke into his Foo Fighters cover she absolutely stopped complaining and got into it. His performance actually won her over and she's now interested in listening to some of his music... I think more than Sir Paul last year who was good but definitely on auto-pilot Prince went out there and played some of his own classics covered some other great songs and genuinely played his heart out. Also the rain absolutely worked to make the performance have a certain spooky etherial quality... I don't know I'll admit I was already a fan but he did a good job.

February 05 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jDub

I thought Prince was outstanding. He's incredibly talented and I loved his Foo Fighters cover. Great performers cover each other all the time. Better that than performing some of his more recent stuff that I don't know.

February 05 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey S.

I was less than pleased by Prince's performance. I don't mind Prince when he does his own songs, but I'd rather him not ruin some very good songs. I muted the TV for his cover of "Best of You."

February 05 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G

Thank God someone finally mentioned how Coke totally wimped on a new ad! I'd seen that damn "Coke-City" one way to many times for it to be still cute and the "Coke Machine" one was being used in the preview show running at all Coke sponsored movie theaters for the past couple of weeks. So even that had lost its luster for me. And seriously, if my Coke took that long to come out of a machine, I would have kicked and or hit it a few times, thus killing most of those stupid little creatures. Esp. those flying worm ones--did anyone else think they were kinda gross?

February 05 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply