October 22, 2014

Super Bowl viewers threatened by Prince's gigantic...

by Julia Ward, posted Feb 7th 2007 10:25AM
Prince Super Bowl PhallusAmerica - always threatened by the black man's sexuality. The debate hasn't gone there yet, but just you wait. An AP story was released yesterday that strings together multiple reports of viewers who were shocked, shocked to see Prince's "demonic guitar phallus," as it was described by Stephen Colbert, projected in shadow against a large sheet of fabric during the Super Bowl halftime show.

These same viewers also giggle at the word "dooty," think a man using a microphone resembles an act of fellatio and that, from the air, Dolphin Stadium looks like a vagina. Folks, you can't rock out without your cock out so get over it already. You're just lucky this was Prince circa 2007 and not Prince circa 1984 when the guitar he took on tour would ejaculate water at the climax of "Let's Go Crazy." He kept his ass covered. What more do you want?

GhaleonQ

I actually do think it was just out of the force of habit. Prince's playing style just matches that placement of the guitar. If he played like Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page, or Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, it would be intentional. However, he has a Jimi Hendrix style, so that's natural.

February 08 2007 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I loved the performance and every time I hear people crying for FCC intervention I get another good laugh out of it.

I think we should all put our children into fluffy boxes until they are 18 and then confront them with real life and see them crawl up into a fetal position within five minutes because, oh my gawd, real life is totally unfluffy.

I sometimes wonder how in a country with 22.000 deaths on TV and a reproduction rate of a second world country (every other first world country has an urn-demographic mind you, but not us) we expect our children to be kept away from sex. It's almost funny to know that most kids find out what VD is via remarks on comedy shows or ER.

February 07 2007 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I watched Prince at halftime and it never occured to be that it was phallic.

February 07 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trent

"maybe that position is a bit too much"

Ummm can you explain any other way to hold a guitar that might not look so offensive? Should we all play steel "table" guitars?

A guitar is meant to hang in front of your "junk". There is no other way to play one!

I submit that all clarinet players look like they are sucking "c0ck" when silhouetted. LETS BAN THE CLARINET FROM TV!!!

....pansies

February 07 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina D.

It's people like Thom who make American viewers seem so laughable and absurd to the rest of the world! C'mon - it was a guitar being played by a man behind a sheet!!!!!!! WTF??!!! People who were bothered by it obviously don't watch or listen to any guitar music, are looking for things to be upset about, and have possibly never even seen a real cock because the guitar silouhette didn't look enough like a real one to cause any real offense to viewers! Get a life, get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Prince's performance at the super bowl was BY FAR the BEST half-time show I've ever seen (and I'm a die hard U2 fan, so you know that means Prince was truely great!;) The prudes need to get a life!!!! >0

February 07 2007 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

I immediately saw the implied sexual innuendo, mentioned it to my wife and stated "that's a really big schlong."

February 07 2007 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

"...You can't rock out without your cock out..."

ROTFL

This has got to be one of the funniest posts in a the history of TVS.

February 07 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

First - people have seen a phallus in the guitar for as long as well cocks have been around. If you didn't catch it, fine. Everybody at our super bowl party mentioned it instantly.

Second - how does an implied phallus hurt anyone? The guitar's already wielded like a giant cock, so now you've got a silhouette of it, so what. The imagery is still there - now it's just bigger.

Not sure where the controversy is. The man played the guitar and stood in front of a light. He didn't break any laws. Ya'll need to calm down and get a hold of yourselves. No, not there! Unless you're alone or with a loved one, then it's fine.

February 07 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

Everyone I was with noticed it too. It was blaring. I dont know if it's as bad as Janet's thing, but it didnt look kosher, thats forsure. I dont think it's worth a big stink, but I can't imagine someone didn't see this during a rehearsal and go "Hmm ya know ... maybe that position is a bit too much"

February 07 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brittney

i think prince did a great job!!!!!

February 07 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply