November 25, 2014

Could ABC be doing a worse job with The Knights of Prosperity?

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 8th 2007 7:42PM
The Knights of ProsperityWhy oh why do networks do stupid things?

Anyone who's seen The Knights of Prosperity (and judging by the ratings, there's not many of us) knows that it's of the quirky single-camera style that would have fit perfectly on NBC's Thursday lineup. It's a comedy that is often very funny, but from time to time -- last night's episode being an example -- will throw in a complete clunker. But I'm already starting to care about the characters in the "gang," and some of the situations they get themselves in have been very funny. It's a show that has potential, and needs some time to find its creative stride.

So, what does ABC do with the show? It puts it at 8:30 on Wednesdays, sandwiched between two aging and by-the-numbers sitcoms, George Lopez and According to Jim.

I can almost understand the network's logic behind moving Knights into this spot; both shows are proven ratings draws (although we all know that According to Jim's continued success is one of the world's greatest mysteries, right up there with the extinction of the dodo), and maybe fans of Lopez and Jim will stay tuned for Knights. Problem is, the people who like Knights and not the other two shows -- like me -- find it hard to tune to the show when it's at the bottom of the hour.

All the shows on against Knights are hour-long shows. Am I supposed to turn off Friday Night Lights, for instance, halfway through to watch Knights? Of course not. So, I'd imagine most people who want to watch the show end up recording it, forgetting it, or skipping it, none of which is helping its ratings.

That's what makes the NBC Thursday comedy block all the more remarkable; four comedies (Earl, The Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock), all single-camera, that flow well into one another. They all seem to complement each other and draw similar fans. No other network really has a block like this. ABC's other single-camera comedies (Big Day, In Case of Emergency) have been unfunny disasters, leaving Knights alone without a compatible lead-in or lead-out. But this current solution isn't working, either; I just can't see Lopez and Jim fans liking Knights or vice-versa.

Right now, the show's prospects aren't looking good, and it's a shame; creators Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman have already proven that the robbery of Mick Jagger isn't the key to the show, and that they could potentially write adventures for the Knights that get bigger and sillier as the years go on. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll ever get the chance.

Think this show is going to make it into May? Will it even finish its run? Let me know in the comments.

Stefanie

I can't believe that this show isn't loved by everyone on the planet. Literally EVERY OTHER thing they say is hysterical... EVERY actor has me crying in laughter. Seriously, what ISN'T funny about this show? I've never laughed so much. The Nielsen families obviously don't know what real comedy is if the ratings aren't high...

Oh and, if that dumb show American Idol is stealing all the viewers, ew. That show is the most horrible display of talent, let alone possibly the biggest waste of tv time ever. I'll give it to you, the first season was good. But it should've ended after that. Really.

WATCH KNIGHTS, EVERYONE!

March 07 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hanna S.

David - the show has not been cancelled yet. And all 13 filmed episodes will be shown. ABC did not give them the go-ahead to film the remaining 9 episodes to give them a full 22-episode season. Still a chance they could go to Season 2 in the fall. It all depends whether or not more people will decide to tune in rather than watching the dreadful show killer American Idol.

February 12 2007 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrsharkattack

long live The Knights!

February 09 2007 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

This show was doomed from the moment it dropped its original and brilliant title, "Let's Rob Mick Jagger". I'd watch that show. Everyone would watch that show.

February 09 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

Trust me - I want to love Studio 60, I still watch it each week - I am not trashing it because it is chic. You are in for a treat; Sorkin-era West Wing is miles better than Studio 60, and I simply loved Sports Night. It might have been ahead of its time, or perhaps on the wrong network.

Sons and Daughters - I really, really liked that show, and Knights just cannot hold a candle to it. I am guessing that it will suffer the same fate, but S&D deserved better. This is just so forgettable.

February 09 2007 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I thought this episode was pretty decent. But this is the kind of show that never had a chance, ratings-wise. Think about Arrested Development. The criticism was that there was nobody likable, even though Michael and George Michael were perfectly good guys. In this one, all the characters are thieves, and, in this episode, we learn that one of them has illegitimate children by like a half dozen women that he's never met.

Personally, I enjoy shows like this, but it seems like middle america wants sitcoms with Richie Cunningham types.

February 09 2007 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nuke

And let us not forget this show provided us with one of the best lines in recent years, if not ever:

"YES! These are some tasty-ass peanuts!"

Brilliant.

February 09 2007 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

If you want comedy watch Sports Night. It's only 30 minutes long so there isn't as much filler. Plus at that time there wasn't that much preaching. STudio 60 is easily the worst show he created.

February 09 2007 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Scott K- You are absolutely correct about Sons and Daughters. Knights is a great show...that will be canceled. If ABC wanted a comedy block, bring back "Help me, Help you" that was like "Curb" for network.
doug- bashing Studio 60 is the chic thing to do now. I never watched "Sports Night", "West Wing", or any other Sorkin shows, but I love Studio 60. Now I will visit the old series, if they might be half as good as Studio 60

February 08 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K

Knights is pretty good sometimes. I actually find In Case of Emergency entertaining too.

If ABC wanted to create a quality comedy block, they would have never canceled Sons & Daughters.

February 08 2007 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply