July 29, 2014

The Office: Phyllis' Wedding

by Jay Black, posted Feb 8th 2007 10:12PM
How nice to work there. Really. I mean, my office sucks but at least these guys are funny!(S03E15) Let's get the short review out of the way: this was an amazing episode.

Here's a shocking thing that a lot of TV executives seem to not be able to understand: when you get really talented writers and allow them to work with really talented actors, good things will happen. You don't really need to over think the equation. The Office consistently manages to dazzle us with little more than well written scripts executed by great actors. You don't need mythology or gimmicks... just talent.

All right, the fawning is making even me sick. On to the episode...

Michael is a character that I'm conflicted about. There are times when I don't like him and find him to be unrealistic note in an overall perfect satire of modern office life (and yes, I am taking the surrealism of Dwight into account). It wasn't until tonight that I figured out why I'm so conflicted about Michael: I just don't think a guy who is that out of bounds would ever be able to survive in a managerial role. When he goes all "Michael" at the office, I'm taken a bit out of the show because I am constantly going "Well, there's no way they'd let him keep his job after that." (Yes, I think I'm stupid for thinking that too.)

But here's the thing: when Michael is out of the office, like tonight, his social awkwardness and emotional neediness is a lot more enjoyable. Whereas I can't imagine someone like Michael surviving in the workplace, I've seen several Michaels at several weddings trying to take the day and make it about them (as a stand-up comic whose eyes light up every time I see a microphone, I can empathize with Michael. Sadly, sadly empathize).

So I was able to enjoy Michael to the fullest tonight. My favorite moments:

- Introducing the Bride and Groom twice.

- Telling Bob Vance to never lay a finger on Phyllis.

- The 40 minute speech he planned to give (and confusing "welding" and "wedding...priceless!)

The main romantic plotline had some nice movement tonight as well. What I like about this show is that they've set both Jim and Pam into relationships that we're actually a little bit rooting for. I mean, we all hated Roy last season, but his attempts to get Pam back have been hang-dog cute and earnest. When she hooked up with him tonight (well, we didn't see it, but it certainly looked that way), instead of shouting out at the screen that she shouldn't go with him, you could completely understand why she would do it.

Karen, too, is a lovely character who, were it not for Pam, would make a great match for Jim. What I love about this show is that the producers have enough faith in their audience that they didn't make Roy and Karen evil or shrill. A typical sitcom would give Jim a string of terrible women to put up with just killing time until the inevitable hook-up between Pam and him. This show, though, gives us two rivals that we actually root for (even while we're rooting for Pam and Jim to get together).

When Jim said that he was happy that he was there with Karen, you believed it for both reasons -- the surface reason that he was glad to be there with such a fun loving and beautiful woman, and the deeper reason that he had someone to hold onto after seeing Pam leave with Roy.

God I love this show.

And listen, I've taken some heat over on my Studio 60 reviews for my creepy comments concerning the hotness of the female stars and I promised myself I wouldn't talk about my super-crushes on Pam and Karen, but something needs to be said here. Pam was drop-dead gorgeous tonight. Someone should build a statue of her so that geeks everywhere can go and worship at it. Seriously, if this were ancient Greece, I would be sacrificing a bull or a kitten or something to whatever Goddess is responsible for putting Pam on the planet.

There, I said it. Comment away at how creepy I am.

TheManWho

I´m From Spain and i love the show, but it´s seems impossible find Subtitles in any language (specially in Spanish) and i ask if anybody knows any place in the net to find. Thanks a lot for the answer, sorry for my English and help me to find Subs for this incredible show!!!
Nacho_music@hotmail.com

February 13 2007 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nooch

Pam left Roy high and dry with no explanation, and as oblivious he is, he still loves and cares for Pam and his itentions exceed sleeping with her. He wants her back. I actually am entertaining the thought of Pam and Roy ending up back together, and Jim realizing he's got it better with Karen. Roy may learn not to take Pam for granted, and win her back. Jim may realize his thing for Pam might have been a combination of the time they spent and her being unavailable. After spending more time with Karen, he might realize there are better fish in the sea afterall. I've lived it. Pam is funny sometimes, but other times, she seems kind of dim. Karen seems a little more intelligent, and the chemistry between her and Jim will come with familiarity.

February 11 2007 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Two small things I noticed that no ones seems to have mentioned:

1) It was perfect when, as Jim watched Pam leave with Roy, "Every Breath You Take" was playing (just music, no lyrics), right at the part where the lyrics would say "I'll be watching you".

2) When Michael got thrown out of the wedding by Bob Vance, the last thing we hear him scream is "I HATE YOU" in the same voice he used in the flashback when he threw the rings at his mother and step father. Classic Michael.

Also, I seem to be alone in this but I still can't stand Roy. He effectively paid $20 to sleep with Pam that night, if it actually happens. I'm sorry if I don't find it endearing that he tries to show he's sensitive by remembering the color of the roses he gave Pam for prom, but completely misses that the whole wedding was a duplicate of theres. If he really wants to get back with her and respects her as much as he claims, he wouldn't have made a move to go home with her after dupping her into a single slow dance. Same Roy, same obliviousness, just acting like he cares. It doesn't take a Casanova to pick up a woman at a wedding who was as upset as Pam was.

February 11 2007 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Take2

This was perhaps my least favorite episode of the season, only because I thought Michael was too obnoxious, and too over the top. His only interesting moment was the welding definition for wedding, and the earlier pep talk, where he was distracted after he smelled something.

The other characters and subplots were far more interesting. I loved the bit at the beginning with Jim and Dwight, with the Altoids and the shutdown computer noise. Also the whole love triangle thing was great. The band was great. Cread putting his name on someone else's gift.. classic!

February 10 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tyler

The best part by far was when Dwigte thought "Uncle Al" was a "Wedding Crasher" I was cracking up.

February 10 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

They've already established that 'The Simpsons' exists in the world of 'The Office'... they've got a Homer Simpson doll in the office at all times. So maybe they quoted it much like people have for almost 20 years.

February 10 2007 at 7:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aly

smk -- Yes. Stanley's wife was introduced in the S2 premiere "The Dundies." I seem to recall an Awkward moment when Michael at first didn't realize who she was -- even as she and Stanley were sitting at a table holding hands.

February 10 2007 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Technically, Scrantonicity ditched the Police-only thing well before taking Roy's bribe, since "Fields of Gold" was a Sting solo song. Copeland and Summers would've given that song some balls.

February 09 2007 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

Wow.. I thought this was the most boring lame episodes ever...if not THE worst Office episode.

The only good parts were the opening....yes the flower batting thing was kinda funny, but frankly by that part of the episode I had just about become numb to the whole terrible thing.

February 09 2007 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
name

I like when people tell you to relax while they put just as much effort in telling you to relax as you did in stating your point. It's not some huge deal to me, I was just agreeing with someone that it bugged me that I heard Simpsons lines on another show that I usually like.

You in one breath say that it adds realism to the show that the writers' copped a line from the Simpsons because no one else picked up on it, and then in the next say it was a totally different experience when she said it.

It adds realism? Then couldn't I just make a character in my sitcom that has presumably watched a lot of TV and then just goes around making funny jokes that aren't their own without quoting the source of the material? Cause people do that in real life too.

If you cared so much about relaxing, why argue at all? Here, I'll stop any kind of ongoing argument that could take place - I totally agree with you that it's perfectly okay to steal material as long as it's on a show I like.

February 09 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply