October 19, 2014

ABC and CBS reveal more pilot casting news

by Brett Love, posted Feb 10th 2007 3:03PM
Monica PotterI mentioned the other day that Harold Perrineau had joined the CBS pilot Demons. They've now cast the main character, Gus, and the winner is Ron Eldard. If you were paying attention, you might have seen him in the short-lived Men Behaving Badly or Blind Justice. Otherwise, think of him as the paramedic with issues that was dating Carol early in the ER run. It's not the best piece of casting I've ever seen. Eldard has never proven that he can be the dramatic lead for a show, but stranger things have happened.

Meanwhile, over at CBS, Hugh Jackman (Wolverine!) is producing something called Viva Laughlin. Lloyd Owen (Miss Potter) will star as a family man trying to open a casino in Laughlin, NV. Word is that Jackman will appear in the pilot and may have a recurring role on the series. Given just that bit of knowledge, I'm intrigued by the possibilities.

Josh Cooke (Big Day) is set to join Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Janeane Garofolo in an untitled Barry Schindel (Numbers) law drama, which Anna mentioned back in November. Cooke will play a public defender, although he is still attached to Big Day and will stay with that show should it come back. Somehow, I don't think that's going to be an obstacle. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Janeane Garofolo in a serious law drama. Odd, that.

We already knew about Eric Balfour getting the lead gig in Protect and Serve. He'll be joined by Monica Potter (Boston Legal). She'll play his estranged wife. No word on whether they are estranged because of his somewhat unique talent to get a series killed quickly.

And the sure to be controversial Swingtown has added Lana Parrilla as the wife of Grant Show's pilot character. They will be a swinging couple going about their wife-swapping lifestyle in the 70's. I'm still shocked that CBS is even going to attempt this. I'll give them points for trying though, and give the show a look. That's more than I could say for CSI: Swingtown.

[ via zap2it ]

Barbara

Your comments, Brendon, are tasteless and intolerable, to say the least. I pity your ignorance.

February 12 2007 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brendon Carr

It's nice to see that Ron Eldard's Mom and the rest of his family reads TV Squad so closely!

February 11 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindy

I went all the way to New York last year to see Ron Eldard on Broadway to see him in his performance in Doubt. He was excellent in that role and I have no doubt that he will be just as excellent in the role of Gus. He captured my attention in Blind Justice and I can't wait to see him in this role.

February 11 2007 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last few comments. His performance in Blind Justice was brilliant. I am not blind but do have a disability and the feelings,frustrations, and emotions portrayed by him were right on. He may not be well-known and he certainly doesn't get all the credit he deserves, but I can't wait to see his performance in Demons. I'm looking forward to it because I know it will be portrayed with the same care and dedication he brings to all his roles.

February 11 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LLDH

I have to beg difference with your assessment of Ron Eldard and his ability to be a successful lead. He is, and always has been, one of the most unique actors in the industry; he is able to take on any character, any role, live it, breathe it and make you believe it. His portrayal of Jim Dunbar in Blind Justice was nothing short of brilliant - as have all of his roles, no matter the measure - I have absolutely no doubt that "Gus" will be given the same due by this wonderfully talented man.

February 10 2007 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Ron Eldard is a marvelous actor who did an incredible job in Blind Justice. The show's premise was what doomed that show, not Ron. Every role that he takes on, he does an amazing job. He is very talented, and I think this pilot has an excellent chance of being picked up and if so, you will see an incredible performance by Ron Eldard.

February 10 2007 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Lloyd Owen was also in the last few seasons of "Monarch of the Glen"; he is also a good baritone singer, so yes, it does sound like the musical elements of "Blackpool" are being preserved. If Jackman and Owen are onscreen at the same time I don't know if I'll be able to stand the hotness quotient. Sadly, while the music may remain, the nudity will not, given that it's US network TV.

Janeane Garofolo was quite good as an FBI agent in "Clay Pigeons", although I guess that movie qualifies as black comedy as opposed to straight drama. Still, her humor tends to be dry and sarcastic, so I don't have any problem imagining her in a drama. Although Gosselaar's show-killing prowess is even more potent than Balfour's, despite his smaller penis.

And yeah, Eldard was good in "Blind Justice", which was cancelled too soon, IMO.

February 10 2007 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dafnap

Oooooh. I'm guessing "Viva Laughlin" is a take on BBC's Blackpool, and if Jackman is going to be in it, even for a little, I imagine they're planning on keeping the musical elements as well. Neeeeat.

February 10 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Not only have I gotten to know this gifted artist personally, but I have followed Ron Eldard's career for fifteen years and he is nothing short of extraordinary. His love and passion for his art shows clearly through each and every performance, no matter the role. I can assure you that this show, and his upcoming movie, will be a triumph.

February 10 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy

I have to disagree with your opinion that Ron Eldard has not proven that he can be a dramatic lead. Although the premise of Blind Justice may have been risky, Mr. Eldard's protrayal of the lead character was sensitive and flawless. I am also fortunate enough to have seen him perform live during his recent Broadway run in the play Doubt. Again, a magnificent performance by a wonderful actor.

February 10 2007 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply