October 22, 2014

Drive is getting a good push from Fox - VIDEO

by Brett Love, posted Feb 12th 2007 4:01PM
Kristin Lehman - DriveAmong the many complaints over how Fox handled Tim Minear's last two projects, Wonderfalls and The Inside, was that they didn't promote the shows well. Fortunately for his next series, that doesn't seem to be the case. I was watching NASCAR's big Bud Shootout this weekend and was happy to see a promo for the show. They also got spots during the Sunday animation block. Add in some showings during Prison Break and 24 and I don't think there is much more that the network can do to let people know about the show.

In case you missed it, because you forgot to watch the big NASCAR race, you can view the new promo online. The official site has yet to be updated, but that's the beauty of YouTube, right? I'm already sold on the show. With Minear at the helm, and Nathan Fillion, Kristin Lehman (pictured), Melanie Lynskey, Kevin Alejandro, and Taryn Manning, among others, on the screen, it looks fantastic. Decide for yourself though, the new promo is after the jump.

Andrew

I am exited about this show, because FOX is amazing. I love all fox shows, 24! House, Bones, American Idol, vanished, and some others that were taken off.
I hope this show doesn't get to be like vanished and only end up online.

Please visit http://www.driveforums.com for Discussion Boards. Thanks.

February 21 2007 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

David, while I was excited to see the Yates cars do so well in qualifying, I'm not picking either of them to win the big race.

Jeff Gordon showed in the Shootout why I won't be picking him. I just have no confidence at all in the 24 team anymore. Jimmy Johnson wouldn't be a bad bet though.

If I have to pick, I'm going with Gibbs racing. The 20 was just stupid fast Saturday night, and I think you can expect similar things from the 11 on Sunday. So, my pick is Denny Hamlin to take the whole deal.

Of course, it's Daytona, and everyone I just listed could be taken out on the 4th lap, so who knows. That's what makes it fun.

As far as who will be there, I believe Nicolas Cage is the Grand Marshall, there to promote Ghost Rider. Kelly Clarkson will be performing live. And while I haven't heard anything, it would be smart of Fox to get Nathan Fillion there to do some interviews about Drive. Maybe even drag along that pick-up and have a whole booth going.

February 13 2007 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Dawson

Brett,

You saw the promo watching NASCAR's Bud Shootout. Who do you like for the Dayton 500? Any inside information on who'll be there this year?

February 13 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Brett, I am with you 100% on the Tim Minear angle. After seeing Joss work without him on Serenity I instantly knew that Tim was the driving force behind Firefly's greatness.

I will defintely give this a try. (plus, Nathan Fillon really works for my wife so I get that bonus)

February 13 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Akbar, a better comparison is probably Cannonball, the David Carradine movie from 1976. In it he plays a recently released convict who enters the cross country race with the hopes of restarting a racing career. But if he gets caught, he goes back to jail.

Aside from what inspired the show though, for me what sets it apart is Tim Minear. He's done enough good stuff that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt going in.

February 12 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nate

they couldn't promote it during the little-known show called American Idol?

February 12 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Can someone explain to me how this is not Cannonball Run the series?

February 12 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

I will absolutely be watching Drive. It looks like a cool show.

February 12 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I've always thought of Wonderfalls as more a Bryan Fuller (Dead Like Me, and now he works on Heroes) show. Which I loved. But The Inside seemed like Tim Minnear all the way, and it was completely awesome. And nobody ever saw it. I don't think it's on DVD either.

But I love that Drive's getting some network love. It looks interesting... and very ambitious. I worry that it could end up a catastrophe... biting off more than it can chew and all that, but I will absolutely be watching it.

February 12 2007 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply