August 30, 2014

Keppler's impact on CSI

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 12th 2007 4:19PM

Liev Schreiber as Keppler on 'CSI.'A lot can said about the addition of Liev Schreiber to the cast of CSI. A lot of good things if you ask me. For a while now, I've been very anti CSI. It's just been so ho-hum and to be frank, boring. Michael Keppler's four week stint in the Vegas crime lab has reignited my interest in the show though.

It's funny how it took the addition and subsequent homicide of a brand new character for me to realize that but I'm being completely honest when I say that the past few weeks were some of the best stuff CSI has had in a while. Now here's what I mean when I refer to Keppler's impact because there was one other obvious thing missing from those four episodes and it didn't bother me all that much.

Save for maybe around fifteen minutes total, there was no Grissom.

That's pretty damn important if you ask me. Grissom left to go on sabbatical and the world kept moving. He was gone, the team was different, and you know what? It was good.

We've all heard about William Petersen's desire to possibly leave the show and this mini-lapse definitely gave us a taste of what that would be like. Was it so bad? Here's the way I look at. In Fall '08, CSI will be entering its eighth season and for the most part, it has the same line-up that's been in place since day one: Gil and Catherine up top, followed by Nick, Warrick, and Sara. There have been upgrades. Giving Greg a more prominent role was key, as was bringing Sofia on as a counterpart to Brass. Sure, there's been a rotating cast of other detectives but that's the same across the board with all three CSI shows.

Characters have been killed, replaced, and fired in the New York and Miami versions... so why not in Vegas? Already this season, we've seen some very creative and fresh storylines. Going up against Grey's Anatomy will force any show to start changing the formula, but Keppler's brief appearance made one thing clear: it can work with different characters running the show. Am I saying that Gil should be killed off? Of course not. I love the guy... but the show doesn't die with him. Nor would it die if Catherine left or if Warrick quit. Am I once again advocating the death of Nick Stokes? Sure, but it doesn't necessarily have to be him either.

If done right, there's no reason that CSI can't work the way Law and Order does. The show is established. We know what it's all about. Knowing that, does it really matter who's delivering the story to us? Obviously the death of someone important such of Gil or Catherine would destroy the good feelings many fans have for this show, but if the right people replace them then there'll be plenty of news fans to take their place.

Keppler's stint was almost experimental if you think about it. Who knows how long ago Petersen requested some time away from the show. CBS could have done nothing while Gil was off giving college seminars about mosquitoes. However, the casting of Liev Schreiber proves that Anthony Zuiker and Co. are thinking about the future. We should be too.

Kate

I loved the Keppler character & I think you should bring him back! In the world of make believe I know that it can be done! It would make Great story for Keppler & Catherine! I also want everyone else to stay on the show! What would it be without the Griss? Kate

February 18 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtbwriter

Guess I'm in the minority here...but I watch CSI for the characters, for the bits of humanity on display and then for the case files. If I wanted to watch week after week of dark, senseless gore and violence,
I'd watch cable. Liev Schreiber was great-no mistake about the impact he made on the team. But Grissom is the linchpin-and to remind the naysayers, no one "knows" about Grissom/Sara except the viewers. For all you know, they could have been seeing each other for months. Unlike the soap opera antics of GA, the "relationship" only adds to their characters, and the hint of connection Catherine had with Mike was just as worthy of seeing as the slightly giddy moment between Grissom and the embarrassed to be dirty Sara.
So if you don't like it, go watch the robots on CSI NY or the salacious GA...we won't mind.

February 14 2007 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Ken C..
mmm, I have to think, you could be on to something. Talk about a MIND BLOWING ep!!!!!!!!
Now, do the writers have the balls to write it???
Will CBS let them???
and if so.... This could be the biggest gamble, biggest talked about show ever...If CBS, and the Producers go for it....
nice thinking...
smiles

February 13 2007 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken C.

Theory about Grissom: He's a serial killer. I know, it would be horrible for the Grissom fans but hear me out. Lately, the shows have been showing him yawning alot. This is sometimes indicative of someone who leads a double life. Clues about Grissom's abnormality:

-Secret romance with Sara
-Fascination with BDSM
-Not distracted by emotion

Another clue - Grissom is the person making the crime scene diorama miniatures. I'm not sure how you get around the fact that someone else claimed to make them but I think it was Grissom. He fits the profile. Who else loves crime scenes and is extremely meticulous and likes working with small objects like insects etc? Also, his fascination with the metamorphosis of his butterfly cocoon makes me think that he could be talking about his own transformation. I at least think that the producers are exploring this as a possibility.

February 12 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I liked Keppler too and was sad to see him killed off. I also think this season of CSI has been pretty good. The episodes have been stronger with Catherine's rape, Grissom's exit, the serial killer, etc. It's been the perfect counter program to Grey's Anatomy.

I agree that the show needs a shake up. It's time for a change.

February 12 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samsara

I thought the character of Nick Stokes was more animated with Keppler around. In particular the episode of Redrum where Nick led a mutiny against Catherine after she went along with Keppler's Reverse Foresnics.

I've always said the show would go on without Grissom and personally I think it is time for him to leave and give the remaining cast a chance to shine.

And Jonathan it would be the chance for your favourite to have more screen time without killing off your hated Nick.

February 12 2007 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

"Grissom left to go on sabbatical and the world kept moving. He was gone, the team was different, and you know what? It was good.".
I agree with the above, I love Gil but he has changed alot since the first season and his hooking up with Sara even if not taking a big part of the show but in a subtext, was a big shock to me and out of character...
But to get back on topic, I really liked the change in tempo that Keppler brought to the show. The getting to try and know a new character and how the team reacted. As the writer stated, those were some of the best CSI this season and to be honest the past couple of seasons. I will miss Keppler, he was a interesting, sad character that put just enough of that something different to make the show the same but oh so different. i will miss you Keppler, you added just the right something that the show has lacked for a while. What it is, I am not sure, but You added a certain something that changed but kept the show together...

now what I want to know are the writers going to drop WHY kath was so broken up over Kepplers death, or will we get a little something we did not know. lets see if the writers are still working or just going with the old tried and true. we don't need a story on why but some closure would be nice.... A small little bit, that's all... is that too much to ask for????

February 12 2007 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

After browsing around the forums at TWOP, I feel like I'm in minority of people who liked Keppler/LS. I was honestly sad that they killed him off, because I was hoping he'd stay around to spice things up. Altho, I've heard rumors that there were problems behind the scenes, so maybe it's a good thing the character was killed.

Now, granted, I haven't watch CSI from day one, but I highly enjoy the show and watch the reruns all the time. I was sad Grissom was taking some time off, but when the episodes aired, I enjoyed them, I think, perhaps, because it was shaking things up. I think it's also a real possibility that WP might leave the show and I think this showed that CSI could survive without him. I know a lot of people out there swear they'll leave the show if he does, but I know I'll keep watching.

February 12 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Who knows how long ago Petersen requested some time away from the show

It was announced well before the season even started to air. He as doing a play or something like that.

February 12 2007 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply