Will Idol producers raise age limit to 30?

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Feb 12th 2007 3:42PM

Taylor HicksSome things get better with age. Try telling that to the producers of American Idol. They believe that singers over the age of 28 are over-the-hill.

But they may be changing their youth-obsessed tunes. At least a tiny bit. There is some talk of increasing the Idol age limit from 28 to 30 next year. In Season Four, the age limit was raised from 26 to 28 paving the way for a dancing silver-haired "old-timer" called Taylor Hicks.

American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe believes that raising the original age limit, "brought us some more maturity and a little more professionalism in certain areas. We're happy about that. I wouldn't mind extending it even further next year, to be honest."

Of course, I wouldn't expect the producers to turn around and raise the age limit any higher than 30. Ageism is still very much alive in Hollywood. Producers want to sell CDs to teenagers, and they don't expect teenagers to idolize anyone older than 30. It's sad, but true, that we live in a country where 25-year-old Britney Spears is already considered to be a washed-up has-been.

Some would like to see an Idol without any age limits and they've created an online petition. But I doubt Idol will go this route anytime soon -- unless there's suddenly a burgeoning market for 64-year-old inspirational singers, like Sherman Pore.

[via Reality TV Magazine]

Joyce Licorish

I think the age limit should be raised to 35 or so. That is when a singer is in his/her prime. That is the point of true vocal maturity and self-realization, where an artist can truly be an artist. Most of the "TIMELESS" music that exists in this world was created not by teenagers, but by ADULTS. As a 32 year old performer I know that I am in my prime and am so very far from being over the hill... I would love to see the age limit dropped.

Joyce
www.Sonicbids.com/JoyceLicorish

March 12 2007 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmunjr

My girlfriend was 28 when they raised the limit to 28, but she didn't know about the limit. Now she is about to turn 31, so if they do raise the limit she will be too old. I guess you could say she had her chance but it is a shame. What I don't get is how these contests don't apply under equal opportunity laws. Technically this is not a contest. It is a show. These contestants are working for Fox and a lot of money is being made off of them, and they will get paid one way or another in the end, especially the winner..

February 26 2007 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elena

HELL, I LIKE THE SHOW. LETS ALL GET ALONG...MIKE'S ALRIGHT..DAVES ALRIGHT TOO. I LOVE EVERYBODY...IT IS OKAY TO DISAGREE...YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP!!!

February 22 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEVE

IM 41 YEARS OLD AND I LOVE MUSIC THATS WHY I WATCH AI , I LIKE THE SHOW, AND THE CONTESTANTS ARE NOT ALL HASBEENS ALOT OF THEM EVEN THE ONES THAT DIDNT MAKE THE TOP 4 HAVE WENT ON TO DO SOMETHING GREAT, BOTTOMLINE, IF YOU DONT LIKE THE SHOW, DONT WATCH IT, I HATE THE SIMPSONS BUT DONT CARE IF SOMEONE ELSE LIKES THEM

February 14 2007 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

I think the age should be 18-25. 16 IS too young, IMO, but over 25 is a little too old. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has been anyone who's won that was 25, except for Taylor Hicks last year, and I don't think he's doing that great. Seems Chris Daughtry is doing better.

February 14 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron T Noel

I felt compelled to right when I saw there were haters here posting. It's funny you hate the show but you are here reading and posting. I will make this short because it's way too easy to write a book tearing people like Mike down. You list all these bands that are credible so it gives your comments credibility, right. AI is a fun shown that even though I don't have numbers in front of me, I believe every year breaks records from people watching it. How many Grammy Awards have came from Idol you idiot. And like someone above said how can you knock it if you have never watched it. you seem to be one of those types that was an aspiring musician who makes crappy music and never made it. Now you are mad at the whole world. Also don't come back at me with I don't know music. I own over 1000 CD's from almost every genre of music. I have an open mind. Has Idol turned out crap? Sure it has. But so has the music industry in general. It at least tries to weed out bad music in the process while making many people smile. What about all the respected artists that all make appearances and have their music covered? How about a monster in the music business Clive Davis on the show? Is Idol perfect? No. Is it more entertaining than the karaoke at bars you speak of? No comparison. Quit being a hater. get over the fact your band or whatever you are into in music sucks.

AARON

February 14 2007 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard L.

For the last year or two (and don't think there won't be a last year or two of American Idol; everything eventually gets old on TV) why not do something really radical? Eliminate the age requirement all together. It would bring a whole new dynamic to the program and would allow the producers to squeeze the last ounce out of it before it dies.

February 14 2007 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesi

AI is everything that is wrong with the music industry today.

It allows people that illusion that even if they haven't worked their whole lives to be a musician, even if they have no originality at all, even if they look 50 years old, they can still be mega stars.

Kelly Clarkson can sing. But she has no originality. If you think she does, that's fine, I'm glad you like her...everyone needs fans. But I do not care how well a person can sing, it doesn't necessarily make their songs good.

I liked Fantasia's voice, but has she made any huge impact on music? No. None of the Idol winners have. In 20 years, they will be forgotten.

These people can sing, yes, but they aren't anything special. Most of them do not even write their own songs. Seriously, stop wasting your time on crap and listen to some real artists. Mike up there listed several amazing musicians that have made more of an impact on music than Taylor Hicks ever will.

February 14 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Thank God for AI..now families can watch a clean and sometimes funny show full of talent, cable doesn't offer too much in the way of family entertainment. My family looks forward to our two nights a week of AI..Keep up the good work

February 14 2007 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fiona

To #2: GIVE IT UP ALREADY!!! THEY DON'T WANT YOU!!!

To #4: RIGHT ON, RIGHT ON, RIGHT ON!!!

To #5: Do you prefer "Tiger Beat" or "Seventeen"??!!

February 14 2007 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply