April 21, 2014

Battlestar Galactica renewed for fourth season

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 13th 2007 4:40PM
battlestar galactica; bsgIt's official! Just as the rumor mill predicted, the best show on television (Battlestar Galactica) has been renewed for a fourth season. Production on another 13 episodes resumes this summer with a premiere date in January 2008.

SciFi apparently was waiting to renew to see how BSG would do in its new 10 pm Sunday night timeslot, and apparently the network is happy with the numbers. As it should be. Ratings actually went up 8% when it moved from Fridays.

Although the SciFi announcement doesn't mention it, this should mean that there will also be a Battlestar Galactica movie sometime between the end of this season and the beginning of next season. Back in January, producers David Eick and Ron Moore said they'll be making a straight-to-DVD, stand-alone flick if they get a fourth season.

[Thanks, Fullman!]

chris w

HUGE HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE.....BSG RULES!!!!!

February 17 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Ralph, no announcement has been made yet.

Season 2.0 and 2.5 was done because of the large break between the two halves. By releasing the first half on DVD this allowed more people to catch up and be ready for the second half. Season 3 did not have this huge break so no split DVD set was needed.
I would imagine Season 3 DVD set to be released sometime between July and September. I guess at this point it depends on if they ARE doing the 2 hour in between season film and when it's release date would be.

February 14 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph Fontcuberta

Might be in the minority here, but I really liked the whole "Season 2.0" and "Season 2.5" releases; I wish they'd have done this with Season 3 as well. Any word anywhere on a street date for the Season 3 DVD set?

(yes, I know the whole series is on the iTunes Store, but for those of us who are hearing impaired, and need captions, that's not an option)

February 14 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Everybody would love 20 episodes (hell, I want a new episode EVERY DAY). The problem is that it puts a lot of pressure on writers and as shown by season 2 and this season it does affect the writing. No doubt there have been outstanding moments along the way, but there have been stinkers along the way too. Season 1 was extremely strong and consistent throughout, and I'm sure it was because of the 13 episode requirement.

February 14 2007 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Phish: I'm with you there. As elated I am with the news of a fourth season, I was hoping there would be at least 20 episodes.

February 13 2007 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

On a related note, I kind of like the idea of a shorter season, because it will force them to stick to the mythos a little more, as I am weary of the 'filler' episodes from time to time. I will say though, that this past week is the first episode I couldn't find something to like about. (Remember guys, I'm the one who LIKED Black Market).

February 13 2007 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

"SportsNight and the West Wing called, too"

I'm just saying...

February 13 2007 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish

only 13 eps!! oh man!

February 13 2007 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

This is excellent news. I have to admit, I was getting a little worried there if they were going to do it. Oh Joy. Oh Joy!

February 13 2007 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Weeds called it wants the "Best Show on Television" title back. :rolleyes:

13 episodes are better than 20 because Moore has said and has proven he can't do 20 / 26 episode seasons.

February 13 2007 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply