The Five: Reasons you shouldn't watch American Idol tonight

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 13th 2007 1:35PM

American IdolI watched the first few seasons of American Idol and enjoyed it, but after too many singers got through that shouldn't have, and singers got cut that shouldn't have gotten cut, not to mention screwed up phone lines and fans flooding the phone lines to pick someone they "like" and not necessarily the best singer, I had to give it up. Here are 5 reasons why maybe you should too.

1. Its time has come. Seriously, what season is this? Is there really anything new to the process, to the auditions? Is it that surprising who makes it through and who doesn't? Sure the show continues to get mega-ratings and coverage, but I think there comes a point where you have to say, "it's not worth watching anymore."

2. It's become a carictature of itself. Really, talk about predictable. Randy will say "dawg" to someone, Paula will act goofy, and Simon will say something nasty.

3. Frank Sinatra wouldn't have won American Idol. Randy, Paula, and Simon would have thought he wasn't a good enough singer to continue to later rounds.

4. The people behind American Idol aren't fans of music. They're fans of marketing and the pop charts and creating a persona, but they're not fans of originality or fans of anything different. The most "different" winner they've had is...Taylor Hicks? And even if they are fans of music, it doesn't show in the final product.

5. Even if you don't watch American Idol, you'll still hear the songs. The three or four top contestants (and sometimes beyond) are guaranteed record deals, so their songs will be on the charts, their videos will be on TV, their songs will be on the radio, their faces will be all over magazines and TV shows for months and months to come. My sister always says to me that "Carrie Underwood is doing really well." Of course she's doing really well. How could she not?

And you know what's funny about American Idol? They try to tell you that it's a tough competition and it's a harder route than what singers usually have to go through. That's not true. If you can sing, even a little bit, you're probably going to make it on television, maybe even make it fairly deep into the competition. People will know you, know your name. Even if you don't make it past a couple of episodes, you still have an "in." That's a lot easier than struggling for several years at weddings or small clubs.

debra hp

hi there, i can't believe i am writing this as i have no idea what a blog even is....i am a self-employed horse trainer and therefore haven't had time to watch t.v. for years....i am now semi-retired and my mother lives with me so i have now become a viewer of AI as i give my Mom the the remote......she actually called in to cast our votes, something as alien to me as actually watching the show itself....[i told one of my brothers this and he threatened to have men in little white coats come for me before i turned all furry like the rest of the lemmings]... i must admit i find it entertaining....help me please...i'm new...should i get out now before i'm irretreivably sucked into the abyss?????????there certainly must be something else i could be doing but it's such a sinful indulgence...i can't seem to help myself.........

February 23 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

interesting comments Bob........I don't watch AI much myself k but I really see no reason why it shouldn't be on tv. AI gives us all a dream of some kind that just maybe will come true! Opinions are like your backside....we all have one but in your case you seem to be one. I have the upmost respect for anyone that gets up in front of millions of people & make a fool of thierself or go on to be a person that we all value for thier gumption to try & SUCCEEDED. Where are you?? Back off AI & get a life sir. Yes, the judges are something to be desired but they also help make the show. That's why we love to hate em lol especially Simon. Enjoy your petty life & find another cause to criticize!

February 15 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

Thank god someone finally spoke. American Idol is utterly useless. I watched the first season, and that was it. It's a huge conspiracy. They give record deals to some of the people who don't deserve it(Fantasia, Ruben, for example). Carrie Underwood may be doing well, but you don't see her on MTV, which is one of the biggest music outlets today. To be quite honest, who else is left that hasn't auditioned before? They should make a show for all the losers, to see who would be the next American Idol. And lastly, Kelly Clarkson is the true American Idol. Three albums, all good, what other AI artist can say that?

February 15 2007 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen

ap[ologies, guess i never proofed my own comments, so pleae ignore the typos, grammar, and spelling errors. anohter next day source, of course, is the view. if there's anything to be said about anything, you know rosie will say it, but that's another shoe and channe.
do yourself a favor, and if you must watch, catch the food network, cnn, or all the great free movies on your local cable. (only my opinion)
friends daughter, who has since made her own video, tried out in ny years ago, and said almost all the contestants were pre-chosen, anyway.
afte all is said and done, i still watch it on nights when nothing else appeals to me. isn't that all part of freedom of choice?
barrel

February 15 2007 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen

fp-my feelings exactly, gray's anatomy is another good reason not to watch tonight, and you'll here everything tht happened on entertainment tonight if they can ever stop talking about Anna Nicole.
and to you david, with your repetetive AI's, sorry , but i naturally correct grammar, yous should have said then not than. sorry, dude,dawg, pal and partner.
barrel

February 15 2007 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jerry a f

Dharma; I agree with everything you said. I would like to add:
disintegration of culture, religion, family, and the advent of the quick fix gives way to the temporary fantasy of the rags to riches, american dream possible. Despite its huge flaws and the increasingly doctored outcome and micro tinkering for ratings(ex. cutting a super talented Baylie Brown) folks like me and my wife escape for a short time to the drama of every day young americans trying to reach for the stars. The recently cut Baylie Brown had a brief moment in the spotlight and, despite the unfairness of being cut in favor of lesser talents she will continue on her journey and will succeed. Despite all the flaws of America there is still the opportunity if you work hard and have talent. This blogger's attitude is so yuppie.commie and shallow. Thankyou Dharma. Over the Hill

February 15 2007 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Um, for everyone out there saying, "If you don't like it then change the channel," I don't think you've fully thought that through. If people start changing the channel then your beloved show may go away. People made the same comment about the critics of Lost and people did start turning the channel and Lost is no longer the ratings juggernaut it once was so be careful what you ask for. The other thing to consider is that if AI is taking up a time slot for another program one wants to watch, say House, then turning the channel isn't the answer to getting that program back.

I guess spelling isn't important as long as you can dial a number. TV Squad, where do you find your readers?

64-year-old "young" lady...does anyone over 21 that's not trying WAY too hard use the expression "LOL"?

February 15 2007 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aquawench

Alright that's it, to all diehard fans of AI and other reality shows repeat after me.... BAAAAA

I just LOVE the argument that millions of people can't be wrong. Has your mother never said to you "if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" It's called being your own person and thinking for yourself, something many more people might be able to do if they weren't so busy staring at reality tv. And yes I agree with the poster that said if we put as much emphasis into things that mattered as we do in reality shows the world might be a better place. It sickens me that more people voted for AI than in the presidential election!

I find myself watching less and less tv because of all the mindless drivel that's on it. I feel bad for all the talented writers and actors who can't catch a break because tv is filled with the lame, uninspired crap that is reality tv!

Now go ahead hurl insults at me, call me names, whatever floats your boat, it still doesn't make you right. I leave you sheep and lemmings to your drivel.

February 15 2007 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

the show is entertaining,,,no one is getting shot, raped, kidnapped etc,,,if you don't like it, utilize your remote,,change the station, not everyone thinks like you, personally i wait all week to watch it again and again,,the show has it's flaws, but over all it gives someone a chance to change their lives completely and fullfull a dream, weather you agree with who wins or not, just the exposure is a chance,,so lighten up,,the ratings are proof, there are lots of people watching, SOUL PATROL

February 15 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Bob - love to catch your comments on Idol as they are usually spot on. OK, let's change...How about a "Baby Boomer Idol". Look at Sting, Elton John, Paul McCartney, etc. all with strong voices and still able to entertain with their charisma. You think there might be some folk's in the post 30 age group out there that simply never got the opportunity otherwise...much like many of the one's being passed through on today's American Idol?

February 15 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply