July 30, 2014

Could Stephen King's Dark Tower become a miniseries?

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 14th 2007 8:22PM

dark towerVarious sources are reporting that Stephen King's seven-volume opus The Dark Tower could be making it to the screen. The question is: will it be the TV screen or the movie screen? As an unapologetic fan of King's work, and especially his Dark Tower series (a narrative that expands into his other books as well) I really don't care how they do it, as long as they don't screw it up. The Dark Tower, the tale of a gunslinger named Roland who seeks out the titular tower that is the center of all existence, is an engaging, if sometimes overwrought amalgam of fantasy, sci-fi, horror and a bit of King's own existentialism tossed in for good measure: he himself becomes a character in the latter part of the series. Much like Lord of the Rings, the series begs to be developed in a visual medium, but one hopes whoever tackles this project can do it justice.

Right now, J.J. Abrams (Lost, Alias) is the name attached to the rumored project, and the belief seems to be that it will be developed as a miniseries, given the length of time needed to tell the whole story. My only suggestion would be to shorten the part of the story told in The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass; I loved The Dark Tower as a whole, but Wizard and Glass bored me to tears -- too much romance, not enough action.

Jordan Werme

An HBO miniseries or 6-season program would be ideal for this project. If they could combine books 1 & 2 into the first season that would help to manage the aging of Jake. Another issue will be managing the Wizard & Glass story ... other than a few scenes the entire season would revolve around an entirely different group of characters - and actors - leaving for the possibility that many people could lose interest in the story. If they could get a quality director and production team and cast the show properly, this could be amazing. I've been hoping for this for years, and I hope that it's for real this time.

March 15 2007 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenny A.

Please god say it ain't so. I'm also a huge fan of king's work and think this would be an abomination to the amazing story Mr. King has told.

March 07 2007 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

I say an HBO series all the way, with each season covering each book.

Season 1= The Gunslinger

Season 2= Drawing of the Three... and so on.

The only thing about doing it like this would be the aging of the actor who plays Jake. But they can always retool it just a touch to make him a slightly older teen..

February 16 2007 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J_Ro

I am no fan of horror stories so when I received the Dark Tower series as a gift, I was skeptical. But, OMG, the books are so addictive, I couldn't put them down! I love the Dark Tower series!

I am also a huge fan of Tolkien. So when the LOTR was brought to film, I hesitated to watch but I am glad I did.

No screen adaptation of the Dark Tower series will ever be worthy of the books but I'd still like to see it anyway -- even though "there's no place like the books, there's no place like the books!" LOL!

February 16 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolinemorgan

Adam:

The Shining was a great movie but they changed too much for my taste the TNT mini-series they did a few years ago with Rebecca De Mornay was much better IMO.

As for Misery, yes that one was ok as well but to me that was all about the casting. I also tend to forget that one truth be told.

Stand by Me was a Novella and I pretty much consider it a short story, I also loved the Shawshank Redemption.

It reminds me of a story Stephen King told once in a interview. He was shopping at one of those movie superstores and this older woman walked up to him and wanted his autograph for her daughter she went on and on about how she didn't like his work because it was gory and she didn't like scary stories. He noticed that she had two movies in her hand one was The Shawshank Redemption and the other was Stand By Me. He asked her if she was buying the movies for herself and she said yes they are my two favorite movie's so King kind of chuckled and told the woman that he wrote both of the stories that the movie's were based on. The woman accused him of lying and walked away.

I think the Dark Tower Series would appeal to a much larger audience than the books It or Desperation. I think if handled correctly this could be the next best thing, but we know how often things in the movie and television industry are handles correctly.

February 16 2007 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Cyndi:

I agree for the most part that most King adaptations are pretty cruddy, but three spring to mind as being quite good:

The Shining
Misery
Stand By Me

Though Kubrick did take a lot of liberties with The Shining and Misery isn't nearly as gory as the book. Still, I think good adaptations of King's work are possible.

February 15 2007 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolinemorgan

This is by far my favorite of Stephen Kings' work and my sister and I have even been casting it in our heads for years but I fear this will be ruined, I agree that HBO could be a Major mistake. Carnivale anyone? HBO has done a fine job with Rome but they would have to be committed to finishing the project. I have never seen any movie adapted from a book, book not short story, (except LOTR) that has been worth a damn all of King's books have been butchered and some of the others that come to mind such as Memoirs of a Geisha, Divinci Code, Devil wears Prada, Sahara. I could go on but what would be the point. If this were to be done it would have to be handled with kid gloves with King getting final approval on script as well as casting. These books are well loved by many and the commitment that King fans put into these books would be poorly repaid by a shoddy SCIFI screw up or another TNT fiasco.

February 15 2007 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl

Funny, I thought The Wizard and the Glass was the strongest of the series.

Which is odd, I hate westerns and I hate romance novels, and it was a western romance novel...

February 15 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Please let this not be true. I've never been happing with a Stephen King adaptation, and while some have grown on me as quality works in their own right (Carrie, the Shining) they succeed despite their status as adaption, not because of it. I love the Dark Tower series way too much to see it ruined on television. I will gladly ignore it if it comes to pass.
That said, I didn't know about the Marvel comic series, thanks for mentioning it, tcc3.

February 15 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

Mini-Series would definitely be the way to go with this.

I was impressed with the Dune & Children of Dune series from a couple of years back. If they make The Dark Tower to that kind of standard, it would be a winner

February 15 2007 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply