Jennifer Hudson makes Vogue cover history

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Feb 14th 2007 9:01PM
Jennifer Hudson Vogue CoverWhen ex-Idol finalist Jennifer Hudson appears on the March cover of the fashion magazine, Vogue, she'll be only the third African-American CELEBRITY to do so. And she'll be making Vogue history as the FIRST African-American SINGER to grace the cover. The other two cover ladies were Oprah and Halle Berry.

Hudson was photographed by Annie Leibovitz at the Apollo Theater in New York. But there is already controversy brewing online over the cover image of Hudson with her mouth wide open, and cleavage spilling out.

At Concreteloop.com all of Hudson's Vogue photos were criticized as unflattering. They asked the question, "WTF was Annie Leibovitz smoking that day?"

roadrunner

The cover shot of Jennifer is beautiful, as is she. Annie Liebowitz (or whatever) is a celebrity photographer and most of her photos are very artsy and not to be confused with either taste or art. Jennifer Hudson is beautiful enough to overcome the doubtful skill of the photographer. Jennifer should be proud of that photo.

March 05 2007 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carlos

Jennifer Hudson is the ultimate American Idol. Her photo on the cover of Vogue magazine is brilliant, and if Ms. Leibovitz was smoking when she took that picture; then I guess other photographers should try her brand of cigarettes as well.

March 04 2007 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Olivia

I'm all for "Black Power", but really, this isn't "history".

This is a magazine company trying to get a piece of the (quickly diminishing) pop goldmine that is Jennifer Hudson.

She isn't being presented as a thing of beauty, class, elegance, or prestige. Which is what Vogue & being on the cover of Vogue primarily stands for.

Her entire pose is "retarded", you can see down her dress (which doesn't even fit), her mouth is wide open, & her hair is in disarray.

The is...
the "Over the Top!" "Biggest Spring Issue Ever", hence the loud, overweight chick.

It's a joke... HA HA HA

As for the supposed Beyonce/Jennifer competition...
There is none.

Only a negative idiot would attempt to not only compare, but pit the two against each other.

February 27 2007 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicholas Monaco

I read Liz Finn-Arnold's story about American Idol and specifically about her opinion that American Idol contestant Antonella Barba is not a good singer and that she "stinks." Antonella is a relative of mine and she has an absolutely beautiful voice. What talents does Liz Finn-Arnold have? Who in the world is Liz Finn-Arnold?

Ms. Finn-Arnold, maybe you should have your hearing aid checked.

February 23 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tacos4all

Good for Jennifer. But correction is in order: She is not the first african american singer to grace the cover. Lauryn Hill also graced the cover and who knows if she was the first singer. Let's stop counting and enjoy. Otherwise, let's just say she is the first Jennifer Hudson to grace the cover, but I could be wrong.

February 17 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizbeth

Organza and others, thanks for pointing out that other African-American models have appeared on the cover of Vogue. I've changed the post to reflect this information.

February 15 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Funny thing is even before I read the article I saw the cover and thought wow what a great picture of Jennifer Hudson, she looks great. Her clevage is not spilling out by any means! Her mouth wide open... give me a break. I think people need to stop reading so much into every picture and ad they see, sometimes a rose is just a rose nothing more.

February 15 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I think she looks good on the cover. I don't think she is supposed to be singing, however. And, to be blunt, I don't know why they are so shocked by Jennifer Hudson showing clevage. Have you ever seen her before? They are always hanging out!

P.S. I have heard a lot of people saying that Jennifer Hudson is saying "look at me now" to American Idol. Don't you mean the voters? Wasn't it American Idol voters who sent her to the curb? (I really am asking, I didn't watch the show then....)

February 15 2007 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Actually, the very first African-American woman on the cover of Vogue was Donyale Luna in 1966:
Thanks for everyone who beat me to noting that Hudson is the third African-American CELEBRITY on the cover, not including models. I realize the fashion industry is slow to accept a non-eurocentric vision of beauty, but give Vogue a bit more credit, please!

February 15 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

The cover of Jennifer Hudson on Vogue magazine is BEAUTIFUL! Glamorous! So what's wrong with her having her mouth open and cleavage showing? It just shows her independence from the strict trappings of American Idol. I think that the attention she has gotten from Dreamgirls is going to get her on more magazine covers soon!

February 15 2007 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply