July 26, 2014

The Five: Great TV couples

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 14th 2007 12:43PM

Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler MooreHappy Valentine's Day! I hate February 14th.

But it's a fine day for all you sickening happy lovey-dovey couples to hold hands and skip around your garden and have dirty dirty sex. Below are 5 great TV couples who are probably celebrating the day this way. Well, at least four of them.

1. Rob and Laura Petrie (The Dick Van Dyke Show): Has there ever been a married couple on television that had the chemistry that Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore had? Hell, they both even have three names! You could tell they loved each other and cared for each other, and you could imagine they were intimate, even if they did have those damn separate beds.

2. Lucy and Ricky Ricardo (I Love Lucy): A real life couple playing a couple on a hit TV show. Even though there were a lot of tough times going on behind the scenes and they eventually got divorced, they really clicked, and you knew they always loved each other.

3. Ross and Rachel (Friends): Yes, yes, yes, I can hear hundreds of you sighing right now because I picked these two. Some of you are probably throwing shoes or old food at the computer screen right now and will let me have it in the comments, but come on, these two defined the 90s for most of us. We all remember where we were when they broke up, then got back together, then went "on a break," then got back together, then when Ross said Rachel's name at his wedding instead of Emily's.

4. Darrin and Samantha Stephens (Bewitched): She was a witch, he was an advertising exec, and nothing could stand between them, not even a nasty mother-in-law and other witches/warlocks who tried to break them up.

5. Felix and Oscar (The Odd Couple): Can two divorced men share an apartment, without driving each other crazy. Well...no. But they can be best friends and give us five years of really funny comedy. I could picture these two as a couple: Felix the one who cooks and cleans and is really neat, Oscar the one who's a slob and drinks beer and wears messy clothes.

Honorable Mention: Fox Mulder and Dana Scully (The X-Files), Ward and June Cleaver (Leave It To Beaver), George Burns and Gracie Allen (Burns and Allen), Jim and Pam (The Office), and Cory and Topanga (Boy Meet World).

Erika

The best EVER is Charles and Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie. Best tv couple, best tv family, best tv father.

February 15 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

My top 5:
Tim and Jill Taylor (Home Improvement)
Pacey Witter and Joey Potter (Dawson's Creek)
Roseanne and Dan Conner (Roseanne)
Michaela Quinn and Sully (Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman)
Capt. Parmenter and Wrangler Jane (F-Troop)

You may now commence mocking me.

February 15 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

My 5:

George & Weezee (The Jeffersons)
Florida & James (Good Times)
Cliff & Claire (The Cosby Show)
Ross & Rachel (Friends)
Buffy & Angel (BtVS)

February 15 2007 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

I'd like to throw in Tim and Jill Taylor from Home Improvemant.

And who can deny the romantic appeal of Star Trek's Kirk and Spock (just kidding!)

February 15 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Zoe and Wash all the way.

February 14 2007 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

I too would pick Monica and Chandler over Ross and Rachel. I'm also liking, Doug/Carol, and House/Wilson.

And I'd like to throw Jill and Tim Taylor into the mix here. lol, I don't know about you guys, but I loved that show, and I thought they had great Chemistry.

And Allen and.....hmmm.... Mrs. Matthews, lol, Coreys parents from boy meets world. When I was younger, I wished they could be my parents, lol.

February 14 2007 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I'm sorry...I know you're probably Gilmore'd out, but what about Luke and Lorelai? It took four seasons to build up to that relationship and most of that time, plus the fifth season of GG were very satisfying. The sixth and seventh seasons clearly are not on par with those, but, hey, who can resist the moment at the end of "So...Good Talk" when they wordlessly reconcile as Judy Garland sings in the background?

February 14 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Chico and The Man

February 14 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiff

Eric and Tami Taylor, Sandy and Kirsten Cohen.

February 14 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
captainmicahp

Why did you leave off Smithers, and Mr. Burns. Thats true love, even if one of them doesn't know it.

February 14 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply