September 30, 2014

Joe Rogan banned from The Comedy Store

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 15th 2007 4:00PM

joe roganHere's an epilogue to my post about the tiff between Joe Rogan and Carlos Mencia that took place on stage at The Comedy Store a few days ago.

In a nutshell: Rogan and other comedians have been accusing Mencia of stealing material for some time, and the two men had a battle of words on stage with Rogan (and a couple other comedians) accusing Mencia of stealing material, and Mencia denying it.

On his Web site, Rogan wrote that he received a call from Comedy Store owner Mitzi Shore (mother of Pauly Shore), asking him to explain what had happened. Later, he received a call from the club's manager telling him he might want to take a break from the club because of the tension between him and Mencia. He also told Rogan they weren't happy about him putting the video of the fight on the internet. Bottom line: Rogan has been banned from The Comedy Store, and Mencia will continue to perform there.

Virgil

Joe Rogan kicks ass, he uses inelegance and wit and makes smart comments funny. Carlos Mencia is a redundant government ass kisser without an original thought in his head. I'm Hispanic and I think Mencia is an ignorant hack. This ban on Rogan shows how much this country respects freedom of speech, truth and honesty. Hacks and lier get to speak unchecked and unchallenged. Go Carlos Bush and George W. Mencia. May the ignorant, idiotic retards (no offense the the truly handicapped) continue to rule. The devolution of humanity.

March 02 2007 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Larios

Joe Rogan needs to shut up. He's so trivial in his accusations. First off, accuses Mencia of being fake because of his name is just wrong. Comedians fabricate stories in their acts all the time. It's for the purpose of making you laugh. If Ned Mencia went up there, then his jokes wouldn't deliver. Names don't make the heritage. Also, Mencia's racial jokes are usually based off stereotypes, which really have no source. No one can claim to have created the stereotype joke, thus calling Mencia a theif again, is just wrong.

Rogan should stick to doing Fear Factor. A place where he can stop accusing talented comedians of stealing material.

February 20 2007 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

This is all from the same guy that had to sit through 5 years of seeing people eat cockroaches and ridioulously gross stuff, do high flying stunts and other things on NBC's once popular Fear Factor. Joe Rogan should have written his own comedy material, not steal or copy from someone else.

February 16 2007 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Joe Rogan is my guy...

February 15 2007 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

If my exposure to Rogan, Louis CK, Drew Carey and Bob Saget were based on their TV shows, I'd loathe them. As I've seen their stand up acts, I'm quite happy to say I'm a fan. Carey's far different doing stand up.

Strangely, I found Dane Cook's sketches on SNL far funnier than his stand up has EVER been. Including the interminable monologue he did at SNL. Blech.

February 15 2007 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

Mencia sucks, Rogan rules. Rogan doesnt need to scream at me about beaners to get me to laugh. Plus he could kick mencias ass.

February 15 2007 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lorilei13

Yeah, I've seen his standup. I still stand by my opinion. But it's just MY opinion. He was fairly funny on News Radio, but that just makes him a comedic actor. Again, just my personal taste.

February 15 2007 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

I was going to respond in the other thread but I'll add everything here! First off, Carlos Mencia admitted on Conan O'Brien that he wasn't mexican and that his real name is Ned! So yeah, it does kind of bother me that he keeps referencing himself as a beaner and then trying to associate himself with them in his stand-up. Now... onto his stand-up and show! It was funny the first time but now IT HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH! That is the problem with just sticking with racial humor it will die out after awhile. Most of what made it funny was the shock value and that's gone! Now it's just uncreative, he keeps bringing up the same old stereotypes! Really, he says the words, beaner, gay guy, black people, aw hell no, ass, boned, bang, wetback, and border in every single time he hits the stage. It was never that funny, forget being racist, you're just a hack! Now about Joe Rogan, never really heard much of his stand-up so I don't know how funny he is, but he brings up a good point. I mean sure there are some topics that are pretty common, like drug humor can get repetitive after awhile as well. But realize that one of the jokes in question... beaners building the wall, has been beaten to death by everyone! I've seen Letterman tell a variation of it, Saturday Night Live, did a gag on it and George Lopez told it. Bottom line, it's a pretty simple gag, and I think anyone with half a brain could come up with it. I find the jokes about parents beating their kids similar to George Lopez's stand-up so maybe he stole those stuff. Bottom line, he's unfunny and maybe a joke stealer, and hey Joe was cool enough to point that out! And yeah, the Comedy Store probably has rules about distributing video on the net so maybe that's why he's banned. I'm just saying that it's great to see comedians duke it out.

February 15 2007 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply